Mta Metro North New Haven Line

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Lawjester, May 1, 2018.

?
  1. Yes!

34 vote(s)
    87.2%
  2. Maybe

5 vote(s)
    12.8%
  3. No...

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Lawjester

Lawjester Well-Known Member

3A79B21B-46A7-4201-B210-6DCB0AC34939.jpeg

Overview: The New Haven line is one of the three lines Metro North operates down. Metro North shares the line with Amtrak from New Rochelle to New Haven where the line stops for Metro North. It starts in the glorious and famous Grand Central Terminal in the East Side of Manhattan, and all of Metro North’s operations take place in GCT. Then the line proceeds through New York and into Connecticut to New Haven. Currently in TSW, we already have Penn Station towards New Rochelle which make a up a good chunk already done. I think DTG should at least extend towards Stamford for the time being, and also make the branch-off towards GCT for Metro North operations. If some of you haven’t heard, when DTG releases editor tools, cActUsjUiCe is making the NEC from Boston to Washington, but isn’t making any commuter extensions for example, towards GCT or up the LIRR. That is why DTG should at least make the GCT Branch and also extend from New Rochelle to Stamford in the meanwhile so we could operate a more realistic Northeast Regional and maybe an Acela and Metro North trains.

Route Details and Trains: The route length from GCT to New Haven is 76 miles and Metro North mainly operates 2 types of trains down the line. They operate the new Kawasaki M8s which were delivered in 2011/12, and run the local and express services to Stamford and New Haven and vice versa. They are equipped with 3rd rail (DC) capabilities and cantenary. Metro North switches from 3rd rail to Cantenary in between Pelham and Mount Vernon East stations. Metro North also operates the GE P32AC-DM that runs down the 2 diesel branches that run off the New Haven line (Danbury and Waterbury branches). They also operate Budd/GE M2s, but very rarely now that they’re retiring around this year.

D0B1A11A-504A-4501-9911-C6CBE8EB2BE4.jpeg
    A Metro North Kawasaki M8
    6992069B-2DC4-4930-A70A-32AD1AC235C4.jpeg
    GE P32AC-DM
    A03A892D-6061-4480-8C1A-6728F1385048.jpeg
    The Magnificent Grand Central Terminal

A Metro North M8 engineer performing the power switch by Pelham,

An M2 Cab ride video,

Resulting Possibilities:
    D341E4DF-D761-4D47-8AA5-E35DF5C9F127.jpeg
    A Metro North M7A at Spuyten Duyvil Station on the Hudson Line

There are many positive outcomes that can come as a result if the New Haven line for Metro North is made. For starters, since DTG would’ve made GCT for this route, it would only add to the experience if they extended down the very popular and beautiful Hudson line or since they’ve made a little bit of the Harlem line before it branches off the New Haven line, that could come as well. I personally would love to see more Metro North and the Long Island Railroad be added to the game, which are two railroads owned by the MTA, and are on very high demand for the game. With this line we also get more Amtrak experiences, with the ability to operate at higher speeds and hopefully with an Acela Express soon to come.

In Conclusion: Thank you for reading and participating in this proposal! I hope we get to see this and a lot more of the LIRR and Metro North soon!

• Like Like x 14
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  2. Medellinexpat

Medellinexpat Well-Known Member

As I used to ride from Bedford Hills every day to GCT i’d Be interested. All the routes are fairly long though and at least for Southeast only commuter traffic. The portion out of GCT to Harlem 125th is going to be pretty scenery intensive!

I’d have thought a first bite approach might have been from GCT to North White Plains. That’s the busy part of the route. The stabling at North White would also allow some shunting.

The Hudson line is probably more scenic but again it’s pretty long.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Lawjester

Well, it’s TSW my friend and we don’t get full routes anyways, so if we got to North White Plains or Croton Harmon, that would be great! Eventually I assume DTG or third party would fill in the missing gaps but at least we’d get some of it.

4. Medellinexpat

Medellinexpat Well-Known Member

Of course the Stamford line is the only one that could include a bar car in the scenario! Happy days when I used to commute to Rye.

5. Lawjester

There is truly so many things that DTG could just do with MTA alone. Of course the GCT- New Rochelle ext is a must with the addition of an M8 and hopefully an extension to Stamford. Although before that, I believe it should be an LIRR extension and then a Metro North ext. And after that, it opens a ton more possibilities for extensions down the LIRR and up the Metro North Harlem and Hudson lines. It’ll happen (hopefully:)).

• Like Like x 3
  6. R62A1973

R62A1973 Active Member

We want the lirr n metro north on Tsw

• Like Like x 4
  7. djos18

djos18 Member

DTG, PLZ PUT THIS IN

8. mrchuck

mrchuck Well-Known Member

Awesome hopefully it’ll be available sometime in the future.

9. kiyoko91

kiyoko91 Well-Known Member

By the future, put four new eastern bronx stations via hell gate bridge to/from new haven.

10. Big Papi34

Big Papi34 Well-Known Member

I think this would be a nice route to operate even if it's all passenger.