PC Graphics Settings

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Corvan, Dec 2, 2017.

1. Corvan

Corvan Well-Known Member

One thing I've always struggled with is getting the graphics on TSW to look really good.

Now this is my setup;

CPU: Intel i5-7600k
    GPU: GTX 1060 (6GB VRAM)
    RAM: 16GB

I have a screen resolution of 1920 x 1200 and the game in running off an SSD.

In TSW I have all graphics settings running as high as I go and I get a comfortable 60fps but I notice a fair bit of pop-in or blurriness here and there. For example I could be coming out of London Paddington and the white signs with the line numbers attached to the signal gantry will be blurry until I'm right under them. I'm not sure what the issue is. I also noticed texture popping on the new coil cars with the GP40-2 dlc.

So I'm looking for advice on making this better and there are a few graphics settings I'm unsure of;

VSync: is it necessary to switch on?
    AntiAliasing: which preset is the better one to use?
    Screen Percentage: Considering my screen resolution where should the scaling be at? I know that if I put it to 200% some of the graphical issues appear to alleviate but the FPS drops to 20.
    Max FPS: I currently have it at 60, is there any point in lowering it?

2. Sintbert

Sintbert Well-Known Member

VSync prevents this:
    [​IMG]
    It syncs the output of frames to the rate of the display, so you only see complete frames and not multiple subframes in one picture.
    It is less needed when you have consistent high FPS over 30.

AntiAliasing:
    Is used to reduce the flickering of pixels representing edges of models/textures.
    TAA is a very quick method that sadly results in smears on the screen when stuff flys by to quickly.
    FXAA is another method that does not result in smears, but also not perfekt.
    None results in flickering of edges.
    AntiAliasing can be replaced with higher ScreenPercentage 200%+ or with very high DPI displays combined with high resolution so you cant realy see the individual pixels.

Screen Percentage:
    It just calculates the frame with a higher/lower resolution than you output it. Higher mostly gives a better looking image, since it will calculate the end-pixel as an average of multiple sub-pixels. (basicly the same that FXAA does) Lower results in better performace but bad picture, since it will multiply a sub-pixle to multiple pixels on screen. Lower is a good solution to run the Monitor in its native resolution but the game in a lower resolution for better FPS.
    It sould be set to 150%, 200% or something like that when used or it can result in blurry stuff since every pixel would be a color-average of the subpixels.

MaxFPS just limits the number of frames calculated. When your screen is set to 60FPS then there is absolutly no sense in calculating more than that. Would just cost power and produce heat.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2017
  3. Jef-F

Jef-F Active Member

Looks like you're confusing FXAA with MSAA here. MSAA is qute resource-intensive, high-quality and uses selective multisampling. FXAA is just a simple postprocessing shader that works with already rendered image (a bit better than similar in approach SMAA). It pretty light on resources and shitty-looking in general.

Ah, if only we could get TXAA here, but it isn't supported by stock UE4 and exclusive to NVidia AFAIK.

4. Sintbert

Sintbert Well-Known Member

Jep totaly.. have not looked up fxaa as i wrote this. I edited the antialiasing part.

5. CaptHart

CaptHart New Member

And by corollary, if you have a monitor that supports higher than 60hz (like mine supports up to 165hz) and a card that can really pump out the FPS, I turn the MaxFPS to unlimited to enjoy a REALLY NICE display rate. My FPS in the middle of Paddington station is normally 85 FPS with all Ultra detail and all the passengers milling about. Out in the countryside, I'm always getting over 100+ FPS. So the game definitely has the potential to run very high graphics if you are willing to provide enough high end hardware for it to play on.

This is my setup;
    CPU: Intel i7-7700k
    GPU: GTX 1080 (8 GB VRAM)
    RAM: 32GB
    Monitor: ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q 27" 2560x1440 IPS 165Hz 4ms G-SYNC Eye Care Gaming Monitor

6. mv75

mv75 Member

hello, I have this hardware configuration, i7 8700k, 32gb; ram, zotac 1070 8gb, external ssd 256gb, why the fps always remain at 60, and the tsw jerks in some sections of the route, it takes a screen of 165 hz to make it go well ,? Tank you
    Risultati web
    Google Traduttore

7. Schnauzahpowahz

Schnauzahpowahz Well-Known Member

Aside the screen tears, ive the same problem. It seems to have come as of late. Kept thinking it was a driver issue. Nope. Reinstalled game, verified files - all the usual suspects people throw out there.

Dont know what to do. I also get dissapearing track beds etc.