A Deltic Diesel In The Future?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by ehenning4891, May 19, 2019.

1. ehenning4891

ehenning4891 New Member

Would love to see an old british Deltic Diesel come in the future as well as an American fairbanks morse diesel which is also a nice old diesel come to TSW as DLC in the near future accessible engine rooms would also be cool,would also like to see more shunters and English electrics

2. JJTimothy

JJTimothy Well-Known Member

I'm with you on the Deltic- I don't have TSW but the last couple of British routes make it really tempting and the availability of a Deltic would probably break me. I'd want to see it screaming along the main line somewhere though rather than pootling down a heritage railway.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Scorpion71

Scorpion71 Well-Known Member

We've got the Transpennine route, so a Deltic would fit perfectly there since they spent their last days on that section of track around the era it's set in. I mentioned in another thread somewhere I'd like to see the NTP route extended to Liverpool and York with the inclusion of a Deltic and a rake of MK2e's

4. JJTimothy

JJTimothy Well-Known Member

I don't recall that not that I claim to be the fount of all knowledge. I thought they kept to the ECML albeit on secondary duties once the IC125s were delivered. IIRC the Transpennine route is dated to 1983 which would be at least a year after the last Deltics retired (2/1/1982) though perhaps there is little if any detail which dates it so precisely and a little "modellers license" would be forgiven.

55022 Royal Scots Grey actually ran on Saltburn line in the noughties having been hired to run potash trains from Boulby. An interesting working to reproduce but I always thought it slightly sacreligious to put a Deltic on freight duties.

5. Scorpion71

Scorpion71 Well-Known Member

Yeah, there's a year or two difference with the route being set in '83 but I doubt it had changed in that time since the Deltic's saw out their final days there.

6. Rob39

Rob39 Well-Known Member

Exactly! Who actually remembers exact months nearly 40 years ago.
    I would give 2-3 years creative license on the following conditions.
    1.Has the route changed, (NTP aws introduction, Line speeds,Lines ripped up, new signals etc.)
    2.Have landmarks changed or gone? ie GWE due to OHLE and crossrail is tied to 2015.
    3.Was the rolling stock plausible for the timeframe? including railtours.
    4.Appropriate liveries. circa 1983 BR blue and at a push, the 1st railfreight livery.
    Meet that criteria and it shouldnt be an issue. Should it?

Last edited: May 20, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
  7. Jez

Jez Well-Known Member

I agree. I can't imagine much changed between 1980 and 1985 and how accurate is the route anyway (no offence DTG)? Why fix it in 1983? Or how about choosing a year between 80-85 on the route (or even earlier?) and each year brings different stock options? I know the lines around Mirfield were simplified by the late 80s so that might preclude it being appropriate beyond 85ish?

Last edited: May 21, 2019
  8. FrankieAbbott

FrankieAbbott Member

Give us the Deltic.....let the routes and historical time frames take care of themselves. A few years either side to the era when a loco ran is ok with me.