PC How Is The Performance On Newer Routes?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Tomas9970, May 9, 2019.

1. Tomas9970

Tomas9970 Well-Known Member

What is the performance difference between routes in the base package and recently released routes? I'm thinking about buying the Tees Valley line. I'm getting about 17 fps on RT and about 15 fps on WSR (I'm more less just happy to play).

2. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

Performance is much better in newer routes.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Tomas9970

Thanks. How is it percentage wise? (roughly)

• Like Like x 1
  4. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

Hmmm. Not sure.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Tomas9970

Ok. Thanks anyway.
    Tees valley line will surely be my day one preorder:).

• Like Like x 2
  6. cActUsjUiCe

cActUsjUiCe Developer

That is impossible to gauge. Unless they released the SAME route with vastly improved optimization, this comparison cannot be made. Now if you compared an extremely old version of Heavy Haul to today's...you would be onto something. I'll see what I can do for you.

7. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

To me it seems you need to lower the settings for graphical quality. I do not think the newer routes will make you very happy. They perform well, but they probably will be more demanding that the very rural WSR.. RT is fairly average I think in demands.

Please be warned, I probably blew a graphics card that was underpowered, but stressed too much to the limits.This won't happen right away, but after 3-4 months it was gone.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Wolfy

Wolfy Active Member

You didn't notice the fan noise or sheer amount of heat coming from your PC ?

I'd install MSI Afterburner, before you blow-up another one. :D

I am running ultra settings on a 6 year-old AMD, with an old Sapphire R9 380X Nitro, 24GB RAM @ 30FPS locked ... And still getting better performance than the OP.

Will get a new PC after Playstation 5 launches.

His PC must be a real toaster to only hit 15-17 FPS

Last edited: May 15, 2019
  9. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

Yes, it made a lot of noise and sometimes frame rates droped to 8fps. Now I have new system, absolutely silent and I invested in high quality components, though not the fastest and I am quite happy now, except that one of the two SSDs crashed. I let it replace by a Samsung SSD and since that moment no issues (I still had warranty and the shop did not charge me extra, which I think is very kind)....

• Like Like x 1
  10. Tomas9970

New update.
    I have managed to overclock my poor Radeon r5 m330 to 1100 MHz on core and 1100 MHz on memory, which improved framerate stability and the game is a bit more playable now.
    However I have also noticed that my CPU usage in the main menu is at 60% and it's pinned at 100% ingame with no services taken over and no AI trains nearby (!).
    20190519172926_1.jpg
    20190519172729_1.jpg

I understand that my CPU is weak and that it will get overloaded by simulating long trains with multiple engines and stuff but this is getting ridiculous.

DTG can I please get an explanation on what is this monster of a background process and if it's Denuvo (yes I know for sure that it's there), why wasn't it removed as promised almost two years ago?

11. kalteVollmilch

kalteVollmilch Well-Known Member

Why don't you post all relevant specs of your pc?
    If you for example are running an Intel Atom, there is absolutely nothing that can be done. If it would be a 7th gen i5 however, then there probably is something going on

12. Tomas9970

Ok. Here are my specs:
    CPU: AMD A4-6210 quad core 1.8 GHz
    GPU: AMD Radeon R5 m330 2 GB
    RAM: 16 GB
    hard drive: SSHD 500 GB 5400 rpm
    also the game runs on a 27" 1080p monitor that is plugged in using HDMI.

13. kalteVollmilch

It may does not sound nice, but the performance of your pc is probably as good as it gets.
    Your cpu is quite low end, significantly slower than even an old i3. Also you only have 2 cores, I guess 4 would be much better.
    You could try to get an (also old, but much faster) FX6300, if they both have the same socket, I did not check that!
    This cpu is far from high end too, but much faster than your current one and also very cheap.
    Of course if you are using an laptop that is not an alternative since they nearly never can be upgraded
    EDIT: looking at your specs again this very much looks like a laptop, in which case upgrading is probably not an option :(

14. Tomas9970

It looks like they mystery is solved. My fan is broken (as you can see from those insane tempreatures in pictures above) so the CPU is underclocking itself anywhere from 1.2 to 1.7 GHz even when it's just running Windows. I should be getting a new fan in a few days.
    Also it's a quad core and not a hyperthreaded dual core.

15. kalteVollmilch

Ah, I see, my bad.
    I used the Google tap-to-search-thingy, which for some reason did search for a somewhat similar, but still different cpu. Sorry about that!
    Anyways, happy to hear that hopefully the mystery is solved!

16. DTG Matt

DTG Matt Executive Producer Staff Member

Just to add - Denuvo causes no performance overhead. There is no perceptible difference in the frame rates i get out of our internal cook builds (which do not have denuvo) versus the shipped build (which does).

In my experience Denuvo does not cause any performance problems at all unless it is badly integrated, the integration process specifically is designed to pinpoint parts of the game that are NOT exercised at frame-rate speeds, however if this analysis is done and then the game is changed to bring the calls in to the frame-time inadvertently that can cause major problems. We have experienced that before on internal builds and Denuvo were quick to help us solve it.

As has been indicated above, your system is quite low end (and far below min-spec), and Sand Patch Grade is fundamentally a demanding route, which is the main reason it hasn't been moved to consoles yet. If your fan also isn't working that certainly won't help matters :)

Sorry I can't be more help.

Matt.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  17. Tomas9970

Thanks for the explanation Matt.

I'll see what changes when I get that new fan. It's faliure most likely predates my purchase of TSW which was somewhere between the release of WSR and RSN so it might give my pc a slight bump.

18. zawal.belili

zawal.belili Guest

in my opinion , you should change PC my friend , the you is really very very very very low in specifications and blaming DTG really serves no purpose.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Darthtool

Darthtool Member

the performance may only appear to be generally better because of sparse geometry, especially for the TVL and Trans-pennine, the HUB areas however still tank the FPS on my rig (8700k 4.9ghz all core, gtx 1080, 1080p [115%] ultra/med shadows).. in the big yards on TVL i can get into the medium 30's, same with the seig nord map. the Devs are not very skilled at optimizing assets in the maps.

20. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

Buy 'em and see -- seriously, why should those of us who have put a bit of cash on the line (taking advantage of the pre-release discount in my case) soothe your anxieties? Just take a look at the responses to the original route announcements.

• Like Like x 1