Class 08 Shunter Vs Class 09 Shunter?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by SHINO BAZ, May 9, 2019.

1. SHINO BAZ

SHINO BAZ Well-Known Member

West Summerset has the class 09 shunter and Tee valley line will have the class 08 shunter,after looking them up i'm still not sure how there different,so what make them different from each other?

2. Wolfy

Wolfy Active Member

The Class 08 is geared for 15mph.
    The Class 09 is geared for 25mph.

They are exactly the same otherwise.

08 993, 08 994 and 08 995 had their driving cab cut down to work on a certain route in South Wales with limited height clearance. But those are the only visually different locos as far as i know.

Last edited: May 15, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  3. SHINO BAZ

SHINO BAZ Well-Known Member

In the real world this sound true in this game not so much,in WS i've gotten the 09 up to a speed in the mid forties.Which is fine since it does more then just shunting there...

4. Rail Master

Rail Master Active Member

“vs” ?!! They have the same chassis, different gears- Class 09: extended gear for more velocity, for passengers services and Class 08: gear adapted for Heavy services. Class 08 is older. And sound!! Class 08 has a amazing sound!

5. JJTimothy

JJTimothy Well-Known Member

The first batch of Class 09s was built alongside Class 08s and, as has been mentioned, the only substantial difference is the gearing of the traction motors* for a higher top speed making them useful for local freight workings. I believe further batches of 09s were produced simply by re-gearing some 08s.

*Just to confuse matters although most 08s were geared for 15mph some, early batches I think, were geared for 20mph like the LMS shunter (later TOPS Class 11) the class was developed from.

6. Wolfy

Wolfy Active Member

If you want some real fun with a Class 08, chop the driving cab off one and permanently couple what is left to another Class 08.

The BR Class 13 (which really was just a pair of class 08's stuck together) was used for hump shunting at Tinsley, but sadly all three of them were scrapped many years ago.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]