PC Knowing The Total Length And Weight Of Your Consist

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by pp82charlie, May 22, 2019.

1. pp82charlie

pp82charlie New Member

Knowing the total length and weight of your consist will help guide you on how much power/brake to apply. I saw this in the new TVL manual, but I fail to find explanation on how to get and use this information.

2. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Count the wagons, and the more full wagons you have the heavier the consist will be. You can also do "brake checks" from a known speed to gauge how quickly and smoothly the consist loses speed

This is helpful when chasing yellows or entering areas where the signals come closer together (ie there are places where 4 signals going from green to red could be closer together than 2 signals going from double yellow to single, so slowing down would be beneficial)

3. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

'Sounds good in theory, but whether closed wagons are empty or full can't be determined by looking at them, can it? My guess is that experimenting gently with the brakes is the only solution, but perhaps I'm missing something.

4. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Fly through them? And yes, the brake test from a known speed will indicate the weight as well

5. raildan

raildan Well-Known Member

Well... there aren't any closed wagons in TVL, so... I guess that makes it easier here?

(Of course, would still be good to know for other routes)