PC Freight, Pzb, And Speed Limits

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by heypiotr, Apr 18, 2019.

1. heypiotr

heypiotr New Member

Just trying to piece together some information about driving freight services on the German routes, based on the manuals and Matt's videos, and could use some input on whatever else I'm missing.

Matt mentioned that on the MSB freight services, I should pretty much only run in PZB mode U. I also noticed in his video that he's going max 90 km/h (the usual limit for U is 105, or so I've read). If I understood correctly, this is because the brakes are set to the "goods" (= slower application) mode.

On the RSN, I see he mostly runs in mode M and up to the max speed of 125 km/h, as the mode dictates. (well, 120 mostly, but I guess that's to leave a little buffer) Any idea if this is because the RSN services are lighter, or maybe the DB 185.2 has better brakes? Would 143 or 182 also use PZB M on RSN?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

The brakes in RSN are not set to goods mode.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Rob39

Rob39 Well-Known Member

this may help. I usually set the mode based on how heavy I judge the consist to be. Then usually hover 10/20Kph below the speed limit up to 110kph.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2019
  4. Ninetofive925

Ninetofive925 Well-Known Member

Here's another tutorial by PTG rail for good measure.

As for the PZB modes, the manuals from RSN & MSB state this:

PZB Modes
    Use appropriate speed chart from following page based on the PZB Mode in operation (O, M, U).
    Use the following table to review which mode is in operation.

PZB Mode O (Obere) Used for Passenger services

PZB Mode M (Mittlere) Used for Freight Services with good braking

PZB Mode U (Untere) Used for Heavy Freight Services

For the speeds restrictions, i personnaly like to use the speed chart from the manuals:
    https://steamcdn-a.akamaihd.net/ste...rt_Bahn_Driver's_Manual_-_EN.pdf?t=1550591855
    https://steamcdn-a.akamaihd.net/ste...eg_Nord_Driver's_Manual_-_EN.pdf?t=1534338379

Hope this helps, and you'll see at first PZB seems really complicated and hard but once you learn it it's really satisfying.

5. DTG Matt

DTG Matt Executive Producer Staff Member

For MSB, all the trains are sized to be well over the PZB-M limits, and are also set to "Goods Timing". The combination means that you are not only in PZB-U, but actually further limited to 90km/h, though the lower limit is not actually tested by the train, you will find it makes stopping more achievable.

There are some services that can be run by the 143 - if you run those services with a 182 or 185.2 then you can probably get away with running those in PZB-M if you want some variety and a faster run.

The Double header services you can probably get away with PZB-M too though technically they ought to be PZB-U.

Matt.

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  6. Rob39

Rob39 Well-Known Member

Always assumed the trains only made up of the Railion cargo wagons would be ‘M’? The 182’s a nice drive on RSN and MSB btw.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2019
  7. heypiotr

heypiotr New Member

I figured a good exercise/practical way to find out what PZB mode to run in game is ... find an active magnet, go over it with the max allowed speed, don't acknowledge => this triggers the emergency brakes, and now you just observe whether the train stops in time or not.

For example, when I did that on a yellow light in PZB M on MSB going 120 kph, the train rolled way past the red light. Clearly PZB M is a bad choice :)

Same test on RSN, going 120 kph, this time on a yellow speed limit sign, the train easily stopped 400-500 m before the actual speed limit.

I guess you could also just find a mile marker, put the brakes in emergency yourself, and observe where the train stops. Less than 1 km = good, more = not good (;

PS If anyone happens to know how they calculate this in real service, that would be some interesting piece of trivia. I started searching around and looks like it's not some rocket science, but not that trivial either, with a ton of factors like the weight of the train, the grades on the route, the kinds of cars and the specs of the brakes on these cars, etc. etc. Relatively simple math, just lots and lots of tables and know-how to go through?

8. xD 2Bad4You

xD 2Bad4You Well-Known Member

Also take into consideration that the waggons have a speedlimit on them. At least some

• Like Like x 2
  9. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

For example?