Tsw: Tees Valley Line Is Out Now!

Discussion in 'Dovetail Live Article Discussion' started by TrainSim-James, May 23, 2019.

1. TrainSim-James

TrainSim-James Staff Member

[​IMG]

Go back to North East England, 1989, and experience classic British rail freight and bygone passenger traction with Tees Valley Line: Darlington – Saltburn-by-the-Sea, which is available now for Train Sim World!

READ MORE

• Like Like x 11
  2. Mkdog45

Mkdog45 Well-Known Member

Wow we now have 2 trailers for Tees Valley

3. TrainSim-Dmitri

TrainSim-Dmitri Well-Known Member

Great article James

4. raildan

raildan Well-Known Member

Most of the routes have had 2 trailers, one "coming soon" and one on release.

5. Schnauzahpowahz

Schnauzahpowahz Well-Known Member

Two words DTG - simply stunning. Im going to spend more time than I should roaming this valley

• Like Like x 1
  6. Rail Master

Rail Master Active Member

No. This route has 2 Different trailers!

• Like Like x 1
  7. raildan

Oh, you're right- I didn't actually watch the new trailer before watching, just assumed it was the same!

8. 333talgo

333talgo Well-Known Member

This new route is fantastic. I really love the 37!;)

• Like Like x 3
  9. Rail Master

Rail Master Active Member

Bad FPS in PS4. I think other players have the same problem.

10. Mkdog45

I play on PS4 and can't see any issues.

11. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

The only "problem" I'm experiencing along Tees Valley is keeping myself from running right through all of the scenarios and sessions. I started by running the tutorials for all three engines (yes, including the passenger train, which is exactly the same as before and so continues to take the drive through set-up steps that never come up in scenarios or sessions -- at least not in the few that I've yawned my way through) -- the two freight engines twice each. I've taken a look at the scenario and session descriptions for freight engines and noted some shunting, marshalling, and loading/unloading operations. none of which I've tried yet. Some of this rationing is due to the fact that I'm still recovering from a lumbar spine operation in mid-April, but most of it relates to wanting to extend my enjoyment as long as possible.

So far, I find the content of this route quite impressive -- three big cheers and plenty of biscuits for the development team!

• Like Like x 2
  12. Cd1990

Cd1990 Active Member

Loving it so far, forgot how tricky it was to stop the 101 though!

13. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

Raildan is correct there was one for the release and then put another one out showing it's released.

14. Yerolo

Yerolo Well-Known Member

Yep, I still need to master the art of operating the lapped brake....it is so easily messed up resulting in stopping way short of the platform or over running.

15. Cd1990

Cd1990 Active Member

Very. One of the scenarios makes it even more terrifying (seaside special?) where you have to couple up to another 101, I came that close to causing a major accident... XD

16. Cd1990

Cd1990 Active Member

17. Mkdog45

I can't wait for PTGRAIL 's video and colonel failures video on Tees Valley

18. Rob Jansen

Rob Jansen Well-Known Member

Really enjoy this DLC, it looks fine, a bit empty sometimes (empty or near empty freight yards).

Did run it on the stream yesterday evening (VOD is available) and enjoyed myself with the Class 37, doing service run from Tees yard upto Redcar, unloading and then driving back, 3 service modes you can do after each other.
    The Class 101 I didn't drove much at all before this stream, so a bit rusty on handling it, even did a Knebworth of a station ( TrainSim-Matt ), but then got the hang of the controls (mostly) and it drove really great!

I give my thumbs up for this DLC, great job :)

• Like Like x 1
  19. WiSchmo

WiSchmo Active Member

I was undecided on this one, as I was struggling to see the differences to NTP with a freight pack, so I actually wanted to wait for a sale. But I caved and bought it, and I have to say that was a good decision. The atmosphere of the industrial yard complexes is superb, and the sound of the 37/5 is just awesome. Reminds me of a WW2 fighter engine somehow.

Also failed to spot a bug a bug on day one, which is a first for me. So DTG, keep up the good work and keep churning out those amazing routes!

20. PlatChap

PlatChap Well-Known Member

I only managed to get to do the tutorials and then one scenario with the 08 but so far I love it! The 37 and the 08 just sound fantastic! I love the addition of the wheel axles for the trucks all laying track side in the yards. It seems like a small detail but it helps me believe I'm really there in a functioning rail yard.

Looking forward to getting off work and getting to play some more later today!

21. DTG Matt

DTG Matt Executive Producer Staff Member

Awesome! Glad you're enjoying it!

• Like Like x 3
  22. Dave Mel

Dave Mel Well-Known Member

im not enjoying it matt. my internet is down so i cant download it. they say they should be able to fix it on this coming wednesday. im really pissed off. not DTG fault. i was really looking forwards to playing this as im now on holiday

23. TrainSim-Daniel

TrainSim-Daniel Active Member

Worth having a look if any local internet cafes would let you download the game onto an external device or if any of your neighbours would share their WiFi temporarily. Sometimes you may find an open BT hub in your area which you can connect to for a fee if all else fails:
    https://www.btwifi.co.uk/

• Like Like x 1
  24. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Go to McDonalds, buy the smallest thing on the menu (a pot of 20p sauce is enough), you can then sit and download anything you want off their free customer wifi.
    If you want full value, go to the website on the receipt, fill out a short questionnaire and get a burger and fries on the cheap whilst you download! (with or without using the sauce you bought in step one)

• Like Like x 3
  25. Jez

Jez Well-Known Member

Last edited: May 24, 2019
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  26. Schnauzahpowahz

Schnauzahpowahz Well-Known Member

I blame DTG for the lack of time spent with loved ones after TVL released. ;)

• Like Like x 3
  27. Jacko

Jacko New Member

Loving this already. Such a mixture. Y'know, when I first heard the new route was going to be in this area, I thought 'meh'. Not sure why; I just recalled grimy gricing experiences from being a grubby schoolkid back in the seventies, and thought "why would anyone want to model this godforsaken place?" No disrespect to those who live in this area, but I felt it was a bit 'Northern' and we'd already had one of those (Trans-Penine), and I'm a fluffy Southerner by birth, and was hoping for some third-rail action...

But I'm glad to say I was very wrong, and this is a fine choice of spot. So much going on; such contrasts. Nothing quite like sitting in the front passenger seat of a heritage 101 DMU, bagging that 'driver view' feeling we so craved on those units back in the day, whilst a Tractor-pulled rake of empty steel wagons goes hurtling by in the other direction at some tiny little station in the middle of a place called Effing Nowhere (I think).

Took me right back. Such atmos. Such grime. Such expansive industrial wastelands and yet, such green and pleasant lands too. An odd juxtaposition, but a classic one. Note to self; must try it with the rain and the fog on!

Can't wait to see Teesside yard absolutely stuffed with things. Maybe when I get me an editor, hem-hem ;)

And the Gronk. Oh, the Gronk. I'm in love. Thank god my missus isn't the jealous type...

A fine effort, Dovetail. Very pleased I took a pre-order punt with this one. I have not been disappointed. Thanks.

• Like Like x 7
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  28. Dave Mel

I eventually managed to download TVL it took me 31 hours and eventually played it at 2300 pm. i did the tutorials, one scenario and one coal run. i even worked out how to unload the coal but had to do it twice through the coal unloading bay. i went through first time a bit fast at 2.7 mph so the hoppers half unloaded so i set the slow speed to 1 mph and went through again and they unloaded properly this time. im now enjoying this route and this will keep me happy for a while. well done DTG now waiting for the NTP freight pack and then i'll be in heaven. my broadband provider will be visiting me on wednesday to sort out my download speed or whatever is wrong with it.

• Like Like x 3
  29. docsnyder1911

docsnyder1911 Well-Known Member

Thank you so much DTG for building a industrial monument in the game
    with the tees side steelworks and your affords to keep the memories on that steelworks and the people they worked there alive.

Last edited: May 25, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  30. Pensfanvw

Pensfanvw Member

I must say this route has exceeded my expectations. It is one of the few routes, going back to my MSTS days, that takes me from the 'here and now', and transports me back to another place and time. I am taken from sitting in front of my computer in my den to an area in Britain in 1989. IMHO the route is beautiful in an industrial way. I've completed all the tutorials and scenarios and a couple services, and enjoy the atmosphere from the urban environment to the rural, immensely. Kudos to the DTG team!

Alan

• Like Like x 2
  31. Tom Doyle

Tom Doyle New Member

Thing is, 1985 the pacer class 142 was released and was running on the track round about the same time. Dovetail would make profit from such a DLC.

32. Tom Doyle

Tom Doyle New Member

141, 142 should be on

33. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

Probably had licensing issues or problems getting the relevant information and recordings.

Though I wouldn’t mind if they released an un-branded version, as someone is bound to make a mod for it.

• Like Like x 1
  34. Cd1990

Cd1990 Active Member

Loving the addition of moving road traffic, hoping this can be added to the other routes (LIRR for one)? Also, does the Tees-Newport bridge actually raise/lower or is this just scripted for each scenario?

35. LastTrainToClarksville

Haven't seen that bridge move yet, but then I'm trying to keep myself from using up all the activities too quickly. In which scenario does it move?

36. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

I am not sure myself when it goes up I have been trying to watch for it myself. Thinking maybe go back and watching the stream that Matt/Dmitri did of the route. As they did a service that went by when the bridge was up, see what time it was when it was up and go from there.

37. Dave Mel

ive not seen the bridge up and i dont think it raises and lowers. i have seen moving cranes in the docks though plus traffic and planes.

38. LastTrainToClarksville

Yes, I've noted road traffic and dock cranes as well -- perhaps the bridge only moves when no one is looking?

39. FallenAngel00me

FallenAngel00me Well-Known Member

I've seen it move a few times. Normally you'll hear a siren when it does

40. Railfan722

Railfan722 Well-Known Member

20190525213747_1.jpg
    The bridge does indeed go up and down. There is a loud klaxon that goes off as the bridge goes through the cycle - I'm not sure if it's on a specific timer, such as lifting on the hour, or it does it every so often in-game. The service here is one of the mid-morning 101 Saltburn-Bishop Auckland ones.

• Like Like x 2
  41. Dave Mel

next time take a pic with the bridge up. ive heard the klaxon going off but no bridge going up.

• Like Like x 1
  42. Pensfanvw

Pensfanvw Member

Ran a service and past the bridge at 09:16. The klaxon was sounding and bridge was lowering.

• Like Like x 1
  43. raildan

Just tried it, and oh wow yes it does. That is cool. I think it's tied with another similar detail I won't spoil here but also involves time of day as my favorite detail on the route (hint: sounds!), maybe how the flare stacks by the steelworks not only glow but actually cast light at night is my second favorite.

• Like Like x 1
  44. Railfan722

Another nice touch is that during the summer season, you'll hear flies and such occasionally while walking around outside the train. I just noticed that and a few others while trying to find collectibles. My only real complaint with the route is that the little walkway between Grangetown and South Bank is blocked off for no real reason, and if you try to walk too far out of the Grangetown underpass, it boots you out instead of just having a wall. It's possible to sneak past this on the very far right hand side if you hug the wall, though.

EDIT: I think I just found Raildan's favorite feature of the route. I won't spoil it either, but you might want to be at the north end of Darlington's platforms at any time on the hour.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  45. Dave Mel

im wondering if you guys above are on PC. i stood by the bridge from 0900 to 0930 nothing happened no sound of klaxon nothing. 2 AI 101s past and 2 37s past nothing triggered the bridge to do anything.

i also went and stood on darlington platform from 0855 until 0900 looking to the north nothing happened here either.
    im playing on a PS4

• Like Like x 1
  46. raildan

Wait, what? I don't know what you're talking about but what I was thinking of isn't at Darlington and only happens twice a day (or so I've heard- I only know of one time it happens). What is this? How many crazy details does this route have, dang it?! BRB, now I have to go find out what you're talking about.

Seriously, good job DTG, if it takes weeks after release to find all the neat little details like these, you guys are doing something right here.

Can confirm I am on PC also. Uh oh, looks like we might have a bit of "optimization" going on...

• Like Like x 2
  47. TinTin_57

TinTin_57 Well-Known Member

I know what raildan means I think if it occurred in one of the yard areas. One slight clue, I ran for shelter

The Darlington one, go to the end of the platform, look across to your right. 1101hrs I was there and I heard it. Happens on RSN too if you are in the right place.

• Like Like x 2
  48. raildan

Yep! Sounds like you found it. And you're playing on console, too, right? Good thing it made it in!

And yeah, just tried the other thing, I also remember this from MSB.

• Like Like x 1
  49. Railfan722

Another great one is the newspaper collectible. While it is almost exactly the same as the NTP one, the front cover stories have been changed to something about a strike at Teesside Steelworks, the opening of the new South Bank station, and 16 people being arrested at a Darlington-Middlesbrough football match.

• Like Like x 2
  50. Mikey_9835

Mikey_9835 Well-Known Member

I'm on PS4 and I can confirm that the bridge does infact raise. I went past it around 16:50 and it was lowering and the Klaxon was sounding.

• Like Like x 3