PC Class 08 In Wsr

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Theangrywelshmab, May 23, 2019.

1. Theangrywelshmab

Theangrywelshmab Member

Surely dovetail have made a error here
    PLEASE DONT REMOVE FROM WSR DTG
    BUT Yeahhhh
    upload_2019-5-23_22-11-30.png

Please dont charge us £11.99 for this DTG :D

• Like Like x 2
  2. Theangrywelshmab

Theangrywelshmab Member

upload_2019-5-23_22-30-26.png

• Like Like x 1
  3. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

It’s not supposed to be there.

4. raildan

raildan Well-Known Member

Oh, cool! I gotta try this before it gets fixed! It really technically isn't supposed to be there, but why not?

5. Theangrywelshmab

Theangrywelshmab Member

upload_2019-5-23_22-52-27.png For everyone struggling to change the brake selector
    Its here make sure its on vaccum otherwise you cant move

6. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

Because the 08 defaults to air, but the passenger cars on WSR need vacuum brakes. People might not know to change it.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  7. raildan

Yeah, this was mentioned in the dev stream. But is it really that hard? I mean, the OP figured it out immediately, and it's just a knob. They could just put it in the manual. Same goes for all the other NTP and TVL stock.

Not to mention, I think the "hold-the-brakes-on-release-for-2-minutes" thing with the DB BR 155 is also obscure, yet you can still drive it on those services.

8. raildan

On second thought, I still really hope this accident shows them how the vacuum brake thing isn't a big deal, but I could see why they might patch the 08 out of WSR anyway... you just can't make the schedule at 15 mph...

Maybe the 08 could spawn as player drivable only so the AI doesn't get in the way if doing other runs? Maybe they could just shift the schedule so you're still *expected* to go 25 mph, but if you can't you don't get in the way of another service? IDK...

9. Theangrywelshmab

Theangrywelshmab Member

They need to let this stay
    No matter what
    If they dont proves what money greedy people DTG Are

• Like Like x 1
  10. Theangrywelshmab

Theangrywelshmab Member

Also the AWS Seems to work on the 08 On WSR
    So if they let it stay they need to fix that aswell

11. raildan

I don't think that's the AWS- that sounds more like the overspeed protection thingy. I don't see how AWS would end up in a locomotive by accident like that.

If you go over 20 MPH, an AWS-like buzzer sounds and the thing brakes- the locomotive isn't designed to go over 15 MPH, let alone 20, so it's a safety mechanism.

I did some testing, spawning in Bishops Ldyeard at 11:15 as the first departure leaves and repeating this 20 times to see if it spawned as an AI. It did NOT appear. I think this is great, actually, and they should keep this unintentional feature as it is. Instead of fixing it, they should issue a patch giving the same treatment to all the other locos as well- the BR blue 47, the BR blue 45, and maybe even the Trainload Metals Class 37.

I don't think these should appear as an AI, though, it really seems inconsistent that way. The era all the locos in WSR come from is a different area, with a different feel to it. Seeing BR Blue in all that would be... out of place. Unless, of course, the player wants to drive that- which would be prototypical since these locos show up all the time in blue in real life diesel galas. So, no AI, but let the player drive it. If the player can't figure pout the vacuum brakes, they might even feel less frustrated then they would otherwise, since they wouldn't see the locomotive around in other places and might feel like they're missing out on less. And a gain- a quick mention in the manual of the locomotive would clear up that whole vacuum brake thing entirely.

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  12. Theangrywelshmab

Theangrywelshmab Member

Indeed i love the 08 Its so nice :)

• Like Like x 1
  13. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

Why does it?

14. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

If they CHARGED people for putting it on every route rather than propagating the loco without charge then I would agree with you. As they aren't, I don't

• Like Like x 2
  15. theorganist

It doesn't make sense, if they take it away (it is a mistake) it isn't costing you anything and they are making nothing from it! So it doesn't prove anything really unless you really want to believe it does!

Personally I don't think the 08/09 is not a suitable loco for the WSR on passenger trains anyway, definitely on a 20 mile line, if there were some freight wagons it could work a demo freight or shunting duties.

Last edited: May 24, 2019
  16. Theangrywelshmab

Theangrywelshmab Member

In real life the 08 runs on the WSR

And doesn't the fact that theres £200 worth of dlc available already Prove that they are money grabbing
    take the new route for example
    Reused 101

• Like Like x 3
  17. Tomas9970

Tomas9970 Well-Known Member

And also new Class 37, Class 08, two new vagons,...

• Like Like x 1
  18. raildan

Yeah... I want the 08 to stay on WSR too (more options is always good), but I don't think they're "greedy" if they take it out. It's not like they're making you pay extra for anything.

And as for the reused 101, that was disappointing, but the new 37 and 08 (which is delightfully better than the original 09, worth a couple extra IMO), both with some of the best sounds in the game, 2 new freight cars, 1 new 101 center car, 5 detailed scenarios, 27 mile route with a distinct atmosphere, great assets, and a high level of detail, a service mode with all kinds of driving experiences including express passenger, stopping passenger, mainline freight, industrial switching, yard switching and stock moves, and the tiny details kinda make up for the reused 101 to me.

• Like Like x 7
  19. ARuscoe

OK, so if you have NTP and you buy TVL you get two new locos. If you don't have NTP then you get three. The amount of work it takes to make things and the value of them aren't necessarily correlated, but in this case I don't think many people will begrudge DTG what they've got.

• Like Like x 4
  20. Theangrywelshmab

Theangrywelshmab Member

Im not happy with what i got

£25 for 26miles
    I would and many others would of been far more happy with the value to money if the route was bishop Auckland to saltburn
    the route seem to be getting shorter and shorter

21. ARuscoe

But the level of detail is higher and the amount of locos and associated wagons in this route is higher. Your method of determining value seems to be based purely on length

• Like Like x 4
  22. raildan

I don't really care about the length of routes personally, instead I focus on how much I can do in the DLC. So, longer routes are better because they have more scenery and take longer to drive across... BUT they don't need that to he better. In fact, if the route was really boring and you couldn't do much with it, I wouldn't like it no matter how long it was. This route has less mainline track than normal, but it has WAY more switching and freight opportunities than most other routes. The track speed is low enough that it doesn't feel ridiculously short or anything on a passenger service- it actually still takes an hour to travel in the 101!

The last 2 routes have been somewhat shorter than some of the others, sure, but I don't think the routes are getting shorter- just the ones with all this switching stuff built in are this short, except WSR, which wouldn't really make much sense to be longer and feels quite long at 25 MPH to begin with.

NTP, which was only 2 routes ago, was on the longer side actually for TSW, at 43 miles compared to 27. That makes it the 3rd longest route in the game, 2nd longest if you don't count CSX:HH.

• Like Like x 4
  23. Crochunter1970

Crochunter1970 Active Member

I have found the length of routes are offset by the speed of the trains. GWR is far longer in length than TVL, but shorter in time to complete with the HST.

24. Crochunter1970

Crochunter1970 Active Member

But in saying that, longer routes would be welcomed.

25. hightower

hightower Guest

I am a proper fan of TSW but I haven’t bought it (it’s the first one I’ve passed on) I have watched some videos of this route on YouTube however, and it doesn’t look more detailed at all. It does look quite bland with miles and miles of yards with nothing but random piles of bogies or rails for company. It does look like there are some nicely made industrial assets but the scenery surrounding them doesn’t look to meet the same standard. The 37 also sounds below par...a repetitive idle sound which is clearly looped, and a what sounds like a synthesised horn.

Also, the routes get shorter and shorter, but the level of detail isn’t changing. Can you honestly say it’s any more detailed than GWE or NTP? It doesn’t look it. I’d be delighted to be proved wrong.

So please please prove me wrong, because I really want to get it at some point. I just can’t keep blindly jumping in with both feet to be disappointed over and over again.

For now, i’ll wait for the NTP freight pack I think.

Last edited by a moderator: May 28, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
  26. FallenAngel00me

FallenAngel00me Well-Known Member

If you've watched it on YouTube, that makes everything look worse. I'm on xbox and it's definitely one of the more detailed routes, can't talk for PC

27. raildan

There is a lot of open space, but that open space is covered with nice grass, often 3d. Plenty of effort has gone into the various custom-modeled industrial buildings.

I think the overall emptiness is on purpose, actually- it really gives the industrial end of the route a really bleak feel to it. I don't think this is laziness- I think it's intentional.

The Darlington end of the route, after all, is less sparsely detailed, with your standard British countryside view. It feels pleasantly rural instead. If they were lazy with it, this would have been just as sparsely populated.

So no, to me it doesn't feel lazy or incomplete- it feels realistically bleak.

The stations are nicely done, the road traffic works, and the ambient sounds are AMAZING- here's a tip for those who have the route: spawn in somewhere in the industrial Teesside part of the route and wait until 10:02 AM in-game. Tell me that is not attention to detail right there.

I mean, it even pleased Alan Thomson- that's, like, impossible!

• Like Like x 4
  28. hightower

hightower Guest

Thing is, as cool as that is, wouldn’t it be better to have a realistic sounding horn on the Class 37?

29. raildan

I don't find one single meh horn (on a loco with excellent engine sounds, I might add) to be that much of a dealbreaker. I don't expect every route to be absolutely perfect

Look, I'm not trying to make you buy the route or anything, my point was that myself and a lot of other people do enjoy it and, most importantly, find it worth their money and thus it isn't an example of Dovetail being "greedy."

• Like Like x 3
  30. Wolfy

Wolfy Active Member

Just paint the class 08 BR Green. Then you can keep it on WSR and make everybody happy.

Some modder will do a repaint sooner or later anyway.... I am loving the BR182 Dispolok reskins right now. :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

31. raildan

I don't think DTG is going to through the effort of making a whole new livery on a locomotive that can only be used in service mode on a route separate from the one it comes with. It seems pretty useless, especially if the user does not own that route. I don't think it's reasonable to expect DTG to ever make a whole new variant of a loco just for susubstitution, it just doesn't add enough to the game compared to the work it takes. I think substitution should be limited to the exact variant of rolling stock that we already have.

A third party thing would be interesting, but DTG wouldn't add something to the game for a third party add-on like that- that just doesn't make a lot of sense.

I wonder if third party repaints post-editor sould be able to change the loco's substitution properties? Probably not, I assume you'd have to edit the service mode for that, and that doesn't sound possible... though maybe...

• Like Like x 2
  32. SamYeager270

SamYeager270 Well-Known Member

It's hardly DTG's fault if you didn't watch the preview stream, read the route articles and the description of the route before buying it. If you bought it on Steam then just refund it assuming you didn't play it for more than two hours.

• Like Like x 1
  33. theorganist

They are a business not a charity, I suggest you don't try running your own business!

You don't have to purchase all the DLC, also there are frequent sales so you would not have to spend £200 if you didn't want to.

You get a new route with all its industry etc, loads of services (which take more than five minutes to produce), two new loco's plus the 101 has a new centre car, also two new types of wagon. What more would you want or how much do you think it is worth?

Maybe come up with a coherent argument rather than soundbites!

As for the 08 it would be great if they leave it in the WSR but if they don't you can hardly complain as it was a mistake and hasn't cost you anything either way.

Why have we become a society of give me everything I want for free, it is very sad, I couldn't even dream of owning anthing like TSW when I was young. I had a small N gauge layout and a small collection of trains and never moaned!

• Like Like x 6
  34. LeadCatcher

LeadCatcher Well-Known Member

This phenomenon of someone complaining about being disappointed over a new release, while not new is getting rather tiresome. The description of the route let’s one know what the length is and what the “atmosphere of route will be. And usually, there is Dev Stream a day or so before the route is released so one can see the route in action. Do your own “due diligence” prior to purchasing to make sure the route is your cup of tea.

Hats off to Hightower who gave his concerns on the route and asks the community to “prove him wrong” over his opinions.. While that wouldn’t be my choice of words when asking for feedback, at least he is asking for feedback prior to purchasing the route.

From my time spent on TVL, I have found it to be very immersive, depicts the industrial areas with great accuracy of the real industrial areas I have been around in my time. Plenty of variety from switching ( shunting to appease the other side of the pond :) ), passenger and freight runs, For me, the route is well worth the asking price for the hours of enjoyment I will get from it. Of course, your mileage may vary.

• Like Like x 7
  35. hightower

hightower Guest

So, if you don’t mind me asking, would you recommend it? How does the scenery compare to recent releases...is it as sparse as it looks on YouTube? There are a number of reviewers (not the usual suspect(s)) who have said it feels a bit empty. The distant scenery hasn’t been brilliant on recent DLCs. How does that compare?

I’m not hugely into shunting stuff around, I find it boring if I’m honest. Even though it doesn’t look as detailed as the AP Class37 I like the idea of having one in TSW though, and the 101 is fun to drive. Is there enough of that?

Finally, does the route feel short? I’d guess if you’re shunting no, if you’re driving passengers then maybe?

I’d appreciate your opinions if you get chance.

Thanks.

36. LeadCatcher

I am always hesitant to recommend DLCs simply because everyone’s tastes vary drastically. First of, I am not a rivet counter but do like realistic physics and operations. Route length means little to me, length of scenarios is more important. I find I seldom have more than an hour or so to dedicate to the sim. So if you can pack in some interesting operations in that hour, I enjoy the scenario. Passenger runs are ok, but feel repetitive. A freight slog with contrary signals, travel over tracks other than the mainline and yes switching are my favorite. Interesting scenery also is a plus.

With that background, I do like TVL. The scenery to me very realistic of industrial areas I am familiar. Most large industrial areas are sparse with lots of room for the cars needed to bring in or move out product. And all have been dingy, grimey with piles of material stacked in places. So saying it looks empty means realistic to my experiences for large industrial areas that have plenty of land area to expand.

I have extended my distant view (whatever it is called ) in my engine.ini so the distance scenery doesn’t “pop-in” as it would on an unmodified install. I didn’t notice the distance views to be any worse or better than other recent DLC.

I am really enjoying the 37 and the 08. True the 08 isn’t that radically different then the 09 from WSR, but they aren’t in real life either. I do like switching and find the 08 a nice loco to us for such. Coal loading and unloading is a enjoyable for me as well. The slow speed control on the 37 works well.

So if your interests align with mine, I think you would enjoy TVL. If you are more into dense urban commuter runs with frequent stops, might want to give this a pass.

• Like Like x 4
    • Helpful Helpful x 3
  37. hightower

hightower Guest

Understood, thanks for the explanation. I think I’ll wait for the NTP freight and maybe look again at this when it’s on offer.

Thanks again.

38. Shukiii

Shukiii Well-Known Member

The horn is not synthesized. All sounds are from a Class 37 on the GCR.

• Like Like x 1
  39. LeadCatcher

I
    My pleasure, glad my description was helpful. I am also looking forward to the freight package.

40. hightower

hightower Guest

With your mini review, and the number of people who have said positive things about it I thought ‘what the hell’ and bought it.

I’m glad I did and can see why many people rate it.

I’m still not convinced by the sounds on the 37, although the horn isn’t quite as bad as it sounds on the videos. To me the engine just doesn’t quite have that oomph you’d associate with a 37 under acceleration, or under load. I also miss it squirming and bucking under acceleration, and the sway that the AP Pack has on TS1. I’d also agree that there’s something not altogether correct with the nose, although it’s almost impossible to say what. It just doesn’t look quite right...the only thing I can say is it maybe looks too long, but only from certain angles.

The cab texturing of the 08, as with the 09, is really not very good but aside from that it’s a good loco. The 101 is still really good and fun to drive.

Beyond that the route itself is actually very good looking, atmospheric and detailed. It doesn’t come across so well on YouTube sadly. In particular, the fire stacks, chimneys and the smoke itself are really well done. I’d also say the texturing on the whole is a significant level up from the last few DLCs. I haven’t spotted any of the major let downs and low res textures like we saw on NTP. I would stand by the fact that the route is too short, and the stations are sparse, notably Darlington.

My only other (very minor) gripe is why are DTG obsessed with rain in their scenarios?

Those niggles aside I’d say it’s right up there with RSN which in my eyes is a serious step forward from MSB. I’m so pleased with it I’m not actually that fussed to have paid the extra £5!

Last edited by a moderator: May 28, 2019
    • Like Like x 6
  41. FallenAngel00me

FallenAngel00me Well-Known Member

I'm not the only one who thinks they go a bit overboard with the rainy scenarios then lol

• Like Like x 1
  42. LeadCatcher

Glad you found it to your liking --- I have to agree with the rain... but here in South Texas we have been having that type weather with flooding so just thought it was reflecting reality :)....

• Like Like x 1
  43. ARuscoe

Seems to be the default thing... How do you make a scenario "more interesting", I know, let's make it drizzle for 30 miles.

44. theorganist

That was something which annoyed me in TS1, you would get a pretty route but could not enjoy it on a sunny day in summer in the default scenarios. It was either raining or any clear weather scenarios seemed to be set at in the evening or early morning. I suppose at least with TSW you can choose the weather in service mode.

45. ARuscoe

You can also RWtools those scenarios and set the weather however you want, unless half the point is lost traction due to wet rails (i've got a few of those)

46. Dawidowmaker999

Dawidowmaker999 Member

You do realize that they don't have a gamer base like lets say Call Of Duty. They aren't money hungry they are making sure they don't fail as a business. I'm more than happy to pay £25 for a DLC. Some people on here need to realise that stuff from DTG isn't going to be free or cheap. Before you say what do i know about businesses. I run one so i know about running a business successfully and keeping it in the black.

• Like Like x 3
  47. hightower

hightower Guest

It’s borderline ridiculous. I suspect that they feel the lighting and framerates are better with that weather set, so almost (certainly over 75%) every scenario on every route uses it. A lot of the tutorials use it too.

Set the other weather free!! :)

48. ARuscoe

See, I would prefer some form of dynamic weather but I'm sure that's also somewhere deep in Matt's big list...

49. davejc64

davejc64 Well-Known Member

Has this now been fixed as I just loaded up TSW and the 08 is not there on WSR for me?

50. hightower

hightower Guest

Ah...the list! Dynamic weather would be fantastic, as would real world, real time weather. Flight Sim did it in the early 2000’s by pulling real weather from freely available aviation forecasts and converting that ‘in game’. That would be really awesome.