West London Line( London Overground )

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by UnlimitedMagic, May 13, 2019.

1. UnlimitedMagic

UnlimitedMagic Well-Known Member

The London overground west London line goes from Richmond or Clapham junction to Stratford. The route consists of class 378’s (and I think might have class 710’s).The west London line has connections with London Underground, DLR, National Rail, and the other overground lines except the Romford to Upminster line

Here are some pics
    upload_2019-5-13_21-39-8.jpeg

London Overground train at Richmond
    upload_2019-5-13_21-43-3.jpeg
    London overground new livery train at Clapham Junction

upload_2019-5-13_21-53-11.jpeg
    Class 378 interior

upload_2019-5-13_21-54-1.jpeg
    Freight

So I think this route would be good in TSW especially with the the new livery.

HISTORY
    The Birmingham, Bristol & Thames Junction Railway was authorised in 1836 to run from the London and Birmingham Railway (L&BR), near the present Willesden Junction station, across the proposed route of the Great Western(GWR) on the level, to the Kensington Canal Basin. Construction was delayed by engineering and financial problems. Renamed the West London Railway(WLR) the line officially opened on 27 May 1844, and regular services began on 10 June, but before that trials to demonstrate the potential of the atmospheric railway system had been held from 1840 to 1843 on a half-mile section of track adjacent to Wormwood Scrubs, leased to that system's promoters;[1] The WLR used conventional power but was not a commercial success. The low number of passengers became such a regular target of Punch magazine that the line was called Punch's Railway. After only six months it closed on 30 November 1844.

An Act of 1845 authorised the GWR and the L&BR (which became part of the London and North Western Railway [LNWR] in 1846) to take a joint lease of the WLR. The line was used only to carry coal, and passenger service was not re-introduced.

An Act in 1859 granted those two companies, with the London, Brighton and South Coast Railway (LB&SCR) and the London and South Western Railway(L&SWR), powers to construct the West London Extension Joint Railway on the filled-in canal south from the Kensington Basin to the bridge under the Kings Road, to bridge the Thames and to connect near Clapham Junction to railways south of the river.[2] The existing line was doubled, and the flat crossing of the GWR main line, where a number of collisions had occurred, was replaced by a flyover.[3] The new line opened on 2 March 1863 with a passenger station at Addison Road (now Kensington (Olympia)) slightly north of the original Kensington station, and was then well used by various inner London services for the remainder of the nineteenth century.

Operations to 1940Edit
    For a time, the West London line formed part of the GWR's Middle Circle route (1872-1905) which ran (clockwise) from Mansion House to Aldgate (originally Moorgate) via Earl's Court, Kensington Olympia, Latimer Road and Baker Street. The West London line was also part of London Underground for a time and operated as a branch of the Metropolitan Railway between Edgware Roadand Addison Road. The branch was eventually closed and the link between the West London line and today's Hammersmith & City line was dismantled in 1930.

A branch was installed to allow trains from the former Southern Railway to access to the West Coast Main Line and vice versa: in summer the London Midland and Scottish Railway ran from as far north as Glasgow to the South Coast. Through trains in the steam era changed locomotives here. From the 1920s there was a United Dairies depot on the site of a former dairy farm here, which up until the late 1970s had regular milk train deliveries.[4]

The northern section of the line, from Willesden Junction to Kensington Olympia and on to Earls Court, was electrified by the LNWR in 1915.[5]

Decline after World War IIEdit
    After a period of popularity, passenger usage dwindled on the West London Railway. Competition from the new deep-level Underground railways and electric tramways took away custom by offering more direct routes into Central London. With the onset of World War II, the West London line was badly hit in some parts by enemy action during the Blitz and the demise of the line was hastened by wartime bombing. In 1940, LMS steam trains from Clapham Junction to Kensington ceased on 20 October and the services to Willesden and Edgware Road Met electric services ceased on 3rd and 20th October respectively.[6]

In 1948, the line became part of British Rail, following the nationalisation of the railways, but remained mostly in use as a freight route. For many years, limited passenger trains ran on workday mornings and evenings, to carry workers at the Post Office Savings Bank headquarters, Blythe House, near Olympia from Clapham Junction and back again, but these services were not publicly advertised.

What do you think

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 13, 2019
    • Like Like x 12
  2. UnlimitedMagic

What do you think guys

• Like Like x 2
  3. Gipsy_Danger

Gipsy_Danger Active Member

The West London Line is technically the route that runs from Clapham Junction to Willesden Junction, what I believe you are proposing is the North London Line that runs from a Richmond to Stratford but including the West London Line. This brings the total route mileage to roughly 23 miles. Also the Class 710s are not in service on the NLL yet but on the GOBLIN instead, but they will enter service there in the future. Lastly, the second picture is at Dalston Junction on the East London Line, not Clapham Junction.

4. UnlimitedMagic

Already in service
    upload_2019-5-26_9-8-46.jpeg

• Like Like x 3
  5. Gipsy_Danger

As I said that is on the GOBLIN (Gospel Oak to Barking Line) that goes off the North London Line at Gospel Oak. They can be found running from the Depot at Willesden to Gospel Oak but not running passenger services.

6. Rail Master

Rail Master Active Member

Pacer! We need a Pacer route!

• Like Like x 1
  7. UnlimitedMagic

Click this video link.This is my proof

• Like Like x 2
  8. Gipsy_Danger

I think you are misunderstanding what I am saying. I’m not denying the Class 710s are not in service, they are operating on the Gospel Oak to Barking line which is different to the North London Line which is what you are suggesting in this thread. They do not run passenger services on the North London Line yet but they are running on the Gospel Oak to Barking line as the thumbnail of this video suggests.

• Like Like x 1
  9. UnlimitedMagic

Oh ok
    I didn’t understand what you were saying then

• Like Like x 1
  10. Big Papi34

Big Papi34 Well-Known Member

Cool looking route though I have a question. How many London Overground Lines are there? I've noticed several threads over it but each has been different? I'm not a British railfan so I don't know that much about British Railroads.

11. UnlimitedMagic

There are 5
    1. Romford to Upminster which is the shortest
    2. North London line which is the longest
    3. East London line which is 2nd longest
    4. Goblin line which is 2nd shortest
    5. And the Liverpool Street to Enfield town or China ford line which is the 3rd longest

• Like Like x 1
  12. Big Papi34

Big Papi34 Well-Known Member

Oh ok thanks.

• Like Like x 1
  13. UnlimitedMagic

You’re welcome

• Like Like x 1
  14. Jez

Jez Well-Known Member

I'd like the NLL linked to GWE so you could run through with the freight. Then maybe add WLL and Goblin.

• Like Like x 1