Aws On Or Off At Start On Tvl?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by SHINO BAZ, May 24, 2019.

1. SHINO BAZ

SHINO BAZ Well-Known Member

In all other routes aws has needed to be turned on to have it in use,but it sounds like aws is already on tvl is this correct and can it be turned off?needing to hit the alerter all the time may be realistic but if other routes don't start with it on then why does this one.

2. TinTin_57

TinTin_57 Well-Known Member

Doesn’t start on for me. I always switch it on manually. In the 37 the two levers are high up on the wall behind the driver, on the 101 the AWS is under the second mans seat. You have to hover about to find it

3. Dave Mel

Dave Mel Well-Known Member

Doesn’t start on for me. I always switch it on manually. In the 37 the two levers are high up on the wall behind the driver, on the 101 the AWS is under the second mans seat. You have to hover about to find it

same here its on the bulkhead behind the drivers seat in the 37

4. Jez

Jez Well-Known Member

I think all safety systems should default to on in all routes and services/scenarios except ones that involve cold starts.

5. SamYeager270

SamYeager270 Well-Known Member

Thoroughly disagree with that as not everyone wishes to experience the frustrations involved in mastering the complexities of systems such as PZB. A better idea would be to have the option of setting the safety systems on by default at user level but this is unlikely to be a priority for DTG.

6. Jez

Jez Well-Known Member

Understand your point of view and that's a good idea to have it as an option in the settings. As it's a simulator, I think it should replicate reality as much as possible. If I took over a train from another driver, I wouldn't expect them to have isolated all the safety systems.

7. LeadCatcher

LeadCatcher Well-Known Member

I find it very easy to turn on the safety systems at the start of a scenario or service. I always do a preflight check on my aircraft in both real life and my flight simulations. As a Deck Watch Officer in the service I always validated the ship’s position, review the propulsion plants status, signed any Captains orders all before I would relieve the watch so checking and energizing SIFA and PZB at the start of a scenario or service really isn’t immersion breaking for me... just part of my pre-drive check....

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  8. Jez

Jez Well-Known Member

Checking is one thing but having to switch it on is not realistic.

9. Dave Mel

Dave Mel Well-Known Member

i dont mind using AWS but PZB no i dont use it. i still dont understand it after trying it a few times, just cant get my head around it. ive looked on videos to try and master it. i think it needs a scenario making with the secondman or another driver in the cab telling us what to do.

• Like Like x 1
  10. LeadCatcher

LeadCatcher Well-Known Member

You would be surprised in the items I had to correct before I relieved the watch on several occasions.... :)

That aside, like I stated, for me, it isn’t a big immersion busting action for me to turn them on. So would rather have the system stay as it is instead of having the safety systems on by default for those who do not want them - or have development staff spending time to provide a toggle where they could have that time better spent on items like a working Passenger Information System, and the like. Again, for me, not having a PIS is much more immersion busting than having to energize PZB and SiFA which I would be checking the status of anyway. I understand your point , just stating my preferences —

• Like Like x 1
  11. Jez

Jez Well-Known Member

It surprises me that you can even operate a train these days without having them enabled. Seems bizarre to have these systems bypassed so easily.