The Ffestiniog And Welsh Highland Railway

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Dom Whibley, Apr 24, 2019.

1. Dom Whibley

Dom Whibley Active Member

What Train Sim World needs is something new which will stand out from all the other DLCs. The obvious thing to do would be to go for steam, but I think the best thing to do would be to go one step further.

This is why I propose the idea of the most beautiful narrow gauge railway in the world. The Ffestiniog Railway. This stunning line runs right through the heart of North Wales and is the oldest railway company in the world to still be operating, which therefore would make it a perfect addition to the TSW collection. This route however, is only 13.5 miles, but thankfully, this line continues beyond the Ffestiniog.

This route could also include the Welsh Highland line which as it happens, links straight on to the Ffestiniog allowing for a perfectly distanced route coming to a total of 38 miles of Welsh countryside. It also allows for a great variety of rolling stock.

On the topic of rolling stock, here is what I propose and why:

• Double Fairlie - Let's be honest, when you think of the Ffestiniog, you think of a two sided steam locomotive in that iconic red livery making it the most obvious choice for a loco for the line.
    • Prince - This locomotive is not only one of the Ffestiniog's original survivors, but was also the first to return to the line in 1955 when it reopened for heritage. This locomotive can still be seen up and down the line making it a perfect choice.
    • NGG 16 Class Garratt - These locomotives are the icon The Welsh Highland line and therefore would be perfect for the line. These locomotives are ex-South African locos meaning that they will also appeal to an audience outside of the UK.

So that is everything I propose for the route. I think The Ffestiniog could really make the game appeal to a wider audience as a result of how different it is to other routes for the game and due to it's lack of length, the Welsh Highland would be a great addition.

I really hope you consider this as a possibility for the future and if not then maybe for Train Simulator. Either way, I would love to be able to drive Through the mountains of Wales on The Ffestiniog. Please tell me what you think and what issues there may be with creating this route as I would be interested to hear.

Dom
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 13
  2. Cold Warrior

Cold Warrior Member

I'm an American and I would love to this railway in the game. This railway is #1 reason why I would visit the UK. Narrow gauge rail offers unique locomotives and rolling stock. I worried the combined railways would be to resource intensive for consoles.

• Like Like x 2
  3. matthew beard

matthew beard New Member

As you may or not be aware, there is a freeware F&WHR out on UKTrainsim however there is an updated version expected to be released between Christmas and New Year.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Tonto62

Tonto62 Well-Known Member

This could be a winner for Dovetail. The Ffestiniog carries thousands of tourists from all over the world. A special edition TSW disc featuring the Ffestiniog would sell very well in their gift shops. Narrow gauge fans would also be keen to collect the whole fleet of locomotives as dlc. Operation is very intense in the summer months and keeping time on the steeply graded track would be a nice challenge.

• Like Like x 2
  5. jedi247

jedi247 Well-Known Member

This should totally be a DLC route. I want all three narrow gauge steam engines and the Welsh Highland Line.

• Like Like x 1
  6. D J JAMY

D J JAMY New Member

A nice run to be sure, but the talyllyn Railway will always be my first steamy love. Lol