The Covered Picture Surface/area On A 27" Monitor ?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by VION, Jun 5, 2019.

1. VION

VION Active Member

Hi all,
    I'm far away expert on the monitor specifications, but actually I have two 21,5" monitors on a 16/9 format in 1920x1080 pixels. My main monitor display the pictures of the games I play but what I wish to know is if I come to buy a new 27" monitor in the same 16/9 format and 1920x1080 pixels using as the main monitor, does it cover more area of the same picture compared to a 21,5" and overall how many more surface/area it can display for the same identical picture compared to a 21,5" size? Please.
    Don't be too technical but a few too as I can understand well.

To resume I wish to get more area/surface pictures displayed to see a greater area/surface of the displayed picture. And what is the important thing to take care the most: the resolution ? the monitor size ? or the display format 16/9-21/9 etc ? May be does it these three features altogether ?

Thank you for the infos you could bring me.
    Cheers
    Gérard

Last edited: Jun 5, 2019
  2. TrainSim-Daniel

TrainSim-Daniel Active Member

Hi Vion,
    As the resolution will be the same you won't gain any extra detail or screen real estate to work with and essentially everything will be the same just bigger.

If you wanted more things to appear on the screen at once you'd need to up the resolution more so than the screen size.
    This article has a good amount of information about the subject of resolution in gaming:
    https://www.windowscentral.com/1080p-vs-1440p-vs-4k-which-should-gamers-go

• Like Like x 1
  3. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Both screens will show the same things, just at a different size.

To get a bit technical a pixel is a square of colour, so if you have a monitor with a maximum resolution of 1920 x 1080 this means it will have 1920 squares across the screen and 1080 squares down.
    Newer monitors will have more pixels than this, but then they "blend" to still make up 1920 squares across and 1080 down if that's what the resolution is set to

My advice would be to save up and replace both monitors at the same time so if you can increase the res then it will affect on both monitors similarly

• Like Like x 1
  4. VION

VION Active Member

Oh many thanks Daniel for the helping article. And yes I wish to see/look more area/surface of the same picture so as you say it is the higher res and the monitor size to take care. Well understood because looking at the blue sketch surrounding in example the three différents monitors resolution (1080p/1440p/2160p), I can see the 1440p has more surface picture than the 1080p.

I think in regard of my budget (about 350/400 €) I'm going to search a 1440p monitor on a 16/9 format and the lowerest response in ms with a refresh rate 75 Hz minimum. But in my case even with my actual monitor 1080p, I cap the FPS to 30 in game to don't overload the graphic card. I deal with the tearing effect which don't annoy me too much.

Thank you for your rapid response and help to understand.
    Cheers
    Gérard

5. VION

VION Active Member

Thank you ARuscoe for your advice. Yes if I come to buy a new 1440p monitor I wish to keep my actual second monitor plugged to have more desktop area but as you say it would be better to buy two same monitor with the same res and size for the OS windows management.
    But what is the limit is the real desktop free space. I would have not enough space on the desktop to place two 27" monitors side by side or I do have to remove some useless hardware elements from my desktop.
    I do must to take in count the free space needed

Thanks for the advice. May be I keep going further to save up for later.

Cheers
    Gérard

6. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

I don't know how you display TSx or other games but many people spread across two monitors. If that's the case then my advice is sound. If not then having staggered monitors even with staggered resolutions isn't too much of an issue

• Like Like x 1
  7. VION

VION Active Member

Oh no ARuscoe I don't use or spread the games on two monitors. The best to do that is to have three same monitors which I don't have. I play only using my main monitor and use the second to display/survey/monitoring mainly the loads and the use of CPU/GPU with windows tool monitoring also the virtual keyboard when needed.
    Good to read that is not an issue too much to plug two monitors having différents res and sizes. I think the graphic card can deal with these two mixed monitors. Good to know.

Thank once again for the advices and help really appreciated.

Cheers
    Gérard