PlayStation Dmu Class 101 Braking Help

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Ste 6201, Jun 2, 2019.

1. Ste 6201

Ste 6201 New Member

Can anyone assist me with controlling the braking on the Class 101 Dmu on any of the UK lines.
    Firstly what is the LAP setting ?
    Secondly even at 100% applied the brakes seem so poor and take ages to actually start slowing the train.
    On the latest UK track a scenario involves two class 101's connected, and the braking seems to be even worse. Its obviousley my lack of knowledge but at the moment to stop the train I am using 100% applied every time.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  2. madcapri

madcapri New Member

With the 101, the lap setting is like an off position with either application or releasing the breaks. I’ve found that if you keep an eye on the left hand gauge of the cluster of gauges to the right side of the desk, I tend to apply the break down to about 15 bar, it is in essence the first application on most other locos. It’s then a case of adjustment in either application or releasing the breaks as needed. Generally it’s a good idea to start breaking for a station at around the .9 mile mark and be coasting into the station at around 15-20mph mark. Hope this helps?

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  3. TinTin_57

TinTin_57 Well-Known Member

Do a quick search on the forum, there’s another thread on this with the details

• Like Like x 2
  4. Ste 6201

Ste 6201 New Member

Thanks chaps, getting a little clearer, So am I correct in thinking that a brake application of 15% would see the train still braking even though the lever is in the LAP position, and to release the braking effort I should move the brake lever to release 15%, and then set back to the LAP position.
    So my running the train at 100% released is not the correct way to drive the DMU ?

Also can the AWS be activated on the 101 DMU ?

• Like Like x 2
  5. TinTin_57

TinTin_57 Well-Known Member

It can be for TVL but on NTP AWS isn’t part of the route

• Like Like x 2
  6. madcapri

madcapri New Member

o
    Yes mate, use the apply to bring the brake pressure down to the desired level, then return the valve to the lap position and it will maintain a constant pressure. When you are nearing a complete halt, or your desired speed return the valve to the release position. Once the pressure gauge reads 20 again the brakes are fully released. I always run with the valve in the lap position, as was customary practice in service.

As to the aws, it can be activated on all lines, but only works on tvl as it hasn’t been included on tpr sadly

• Helpful Helpful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Ste 6201

Ste 6201 New Member

Just a note of thanks to you guys, Im now much more efficient at braking on the 101. Thanks again ;-)

• Like Like x 3
  8. HappyJose

HappyJose Member

It took me a while to grasp it and I had to re read a few very helpful posts from people on here a few times to grasp the whole lap setting and why the braking doesn’t work like other trains in the game.
    I now find the 101 the most rewarding train to drive. I’m still not spot on with my braking but I like that it feels challenging and I find working through the gears good fun, keeps you on your toes.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
  9. Canon772

Canon772 Active Member

I had temporarily given up with the dmu101. Maybe it is now time to try again!

• Like Like x 2
  10. phildenty

phildenty Member

That is a great help for me to having real problems with the brake system