New Haven Railroad R1 4-8-2

Discussion in 'Loco Suggestions & Proposals' started by Buynot, May 30, 2019.

1. Buynot

Buynot Well-Known Member

The R1 4-8-2 mountains served as the primary freight locomotive on the New Haven Railroad during the steam era. The design of these locomotives actually came from the USRA, and 10 were supplied to the railroad in the late 1910's. These locomotives quickly proved that they could haul heavy tonnage at high speeds, and the New Haven quickly ordered 39 more between 1918 and 1924. The first batch of locomotives came with Southern valve gear, with later batches coming with Baker valve gear (locomotives with Southern valve gear would have it swapped for Baker valve gear in 1940). The R1s had 69 inch drivers, a maximum boiler pressure of 200 PSI, a top speed of 79 MPH, and a tractive effort of about 5400 pounds (I might be wrong on that). This locomotive would go great with the VNHRR, and gives players an opportunity to make use of the large amounts of steam locomotive servicing facilities along the route. What are your thoughts? Would you be interested in seeing the R1s come to train simulator?

SIDE NOTE: I recently watched the Q&A live stream with Smokebox, and I remember he mentioned that an essential part of making locomotives for Train Simulator is having access to the drawings. Well, while looking for images to go with this post, I managed to find a couple of drawings for the R1bs! Not sure how much help they would actually be since they seem to be erecting diagrams but I'll include them anyway![​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  2. Random Railfan

Random Railfan Well-Known Member

I would love to see it! Maybe it's just my imagination, but there aren't many good, large mainline American steamers in the game. If it is highly detailed and is in the pro range, I would buy it the second it comes out! I'm just curious though, what route would the scenarios be for? VNHRR?

• Like Like x 3
  3. Buynot

Buynot Well-Known Member

Yeah, I think it would be best if they go with the VNHRR since 1. It's a New Haven route, and 2. There's plenty of steam servicing facilities in that route as I mentioned in my original post.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Smokebox

Smokebox Active Member

I certainly agree that it would be great to have a big "Mountain" type for TS. Unfortunately, those diagrams above are of the kind they call "folio" drawings, which are really used just for recognition. There's actually more information in genuine erecting diagrams, but to give you a better idea of what's needed to build a fully-detailed model, the set of drawings I've received for the Big Boy has 2,846 individual drawings (although, thankfully, I won't need to model absolutely all of them!).

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  5. Random Railfan

Random Railfan Well-Known Member

Yeah. The only other New Haven (former, that is) route is New York to New Haven, and that wouldn't make much sense since it's set during the modern day. It worked with the E-44, but that's basically the limit. Anything after maybe the 60's would make absolutely no sense.

• Like Like x 2
  6. steammaster4449

steammaster4449 Well-Known Member

The New Haven certainly doesn't get enough attention, so I'm all for this one.

• Like Like x 1
  7. trainboyerik

trainboyerik Member

my vote would not just be a regular yes it would be a: drum roll please! a hell yes I'm down for this to be made!

• Like Like x 1