How To Slow Down The Train?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jpmackay, Jun 6, 2019.

1. jpmackay

jpmackay Active Member

I had problems with myself trying to slow down the train on any route with scenarios. When I noticed the approach light ( yellow ) and knew that the next signal will be stop (red ) then I applied the brakes of the train to slow down. I noticed that the box with Speedometer also RPM and AMPS returned to 0. Then I have to restart the locomotive by clicking the key on the right side of the panel. I get quite often with this and want to know how to avoid this. Also when the train is running and hit bumpy or something and that happen the same as above too. I am getting frustrated with this. Is there something I can turn off in setup to avoid this.

Thank you,

John

2. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

What train on what route?
    Pro mode or beginner mode?
    Different trains work very differently so would be hard to advise without this.

Given you say that amps and RPM drop to zero I will assume you're driving a diesel electric so in this case you can probably take the following:
    • When you first notice that a yellow signal is ahead you should be slowing down. Don't wait to get to the signal to see which version of yellow it is
    • On british routes I usually use the following as a guide... Double yellow - 55 - 60 MPH max, Single yellow 30-40 MPH max, obviously dependant on how far away the next signal is
    • Again on British routes, before any signal that isn't green and before most speed limit down changes you are likely to get an AWS ramp which needs to be acknowledged either by the Q key or by clicking the warning symbol on the HUD. Similar systems exist on other signalling systems
    It sounds to me like you're coming up to a yellow signal, not acknowledging the warning signal and the engine is putting you into emergency braking.

3. jpmackay

jpmackay Active Member

Thank you for your reply and mine is North America routes. No matter what route or scenario that caused the problem. More likely it's me need more practice how to run the game smoothly with any route or scenario? Pretty well all locomotives are diesel. I will try to see if I can run the simulation properly without any cause of the train drop the speed and have to restart the locomotive.

John

4. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Read the manual, concentrating on what safety systems are in place. It's likely you're missing something and this is what's bringing you to a halt and needing the power down / power up sequence to resolve

• Like Like x 1
  5. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Unlike a Car a train does not stop in a short distance and On Sighting a restrictive signal you need to Start Braking.

Just because the loco amps shows 0 does not mean the engine has stopped. It is just not providing power.
    Do a trial run start the train and when you have it moving Shut Off power.
    Wait 10 seconds then reopen the throttle - do the RPM and AMPS climb back up?

And to get used to driving the trains do a Quick Drive
    Pick the loco you want then the route and chose start and end points
    And just drive - you can stop and start or just keep running - there is no schedule.

Peter

6. Ighten

Ighten Member

Sounds to me like your using an outside view and not noticing the alarm sounding. Which routes in particular.

7. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

As the previous reply was just under a month ago I suspect the OP is not bothered with an answer