Simplify The Scenario Editor

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by m3tro4001, May 26, 2019.

1. m3tro4001

m3tro4001 New Member

It's unwieldy as it stands. I've never been a huge fan of the combined 3D world/scenario editor. It's unintuitive and needlessly complicated. Editing scenarios is a chore, let alone creating one.

Why can't you at least provide an option for a 2D editor where we can place and edit trains/consists on the 2D timetable map and we can switch back to 3D mode if we'd like to view the placement in the world. This would end the current issue of stock phasing through one another when you're trying to couple them together or pushing the whole train further ahead or back than it should be. This would also eliminate temp dumps that occur when attempting to move whole trains that are lengthy (American freight trains). Just an option to use a 2D editor is all I ask.

Also make assets searchable. The current click on the provider system is so antiquated. It's a mess.

If you don't want to change anything AT LEAST add an in depth video tutorial along with easily accessible documentation on how to get the most out of the current editor. I know much hasn't changed but the YouTube video tutorials are years old.

Just a few late evening thoughts.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Mack Winston

Mack Winston Active Member

Seconded.

Scenarios primarily should be editable from a 2D view (having the 3D view is still important, though). Also, the scenario editor should also show better information on the pathing of trains, I've had a few instances of unexpected signals at danger because an AI train in a station with a long dwell time is taking priority, even though it won't start to leave the station until the player is passing it on another platform (and it also causes problems with other AI trains that can't get into platforms etc). The ability to make a train in a station not look for a path until a certain time really is needed, especially if you're trying to make a realistic scenario based on the published Working Timetable.

Not just assets searchable but timetable instructions. It's a pain having to scroll through them all in the mouse rather than being able to start typing.

3. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

I've seen instances where it wasn't that it had priority but that the stopping point was incorrectly set on the platform. AI always stops at the end of the stopping zone set on the track, even if the actual stopping point should be a hundred yards back
    This can end up with AI stopped trains fouling the lights at the end of the platform / loop etc which then stops everything around it from being able to move.
    An example is Stormy Down goods loop on the SWML. The loop destination fouls the light at the end by about 10 feet, so you put an AI in there, it fouls the mainline which means you can't run things past it.

4. Mack Winston

Can AI trains be run to a user defined marker rather than a destination?

5. ARuscoe

You can edit them within scenarios anyway, but I haven't tried since the 64 bit editor glitch which used to delete entire sections of track...

6. Mack Winston

Also, another scenario editor request: ability for portals to not just be able to remove AI trains, but spawn them too. That way, on long routes (e.g. Western Mainlines) where you need quite a lot of AI trains for a full length run, you have a lot fewer AI trains in existence at any one time.

7. ARuscoe

I've seen this done. Instructions on youtube

8. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

If you edited the train in the 2D map you might do something to the train which means it does not run.
    The Timetable editor is used for the pathing of your train and you can see if the path works before trying to run it.
    You can also change the timings of AI trains to make them work in your scenario

Peter

9. Gipsy_Danger

Gipsy_Danger Active Member

To be honest, if it’s not broken, don’t fix it