PlayStation Ps4 Pro Support?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by matthewbguilford, Jun 8, 2019.

1. matthewbguilford

matthewbguilford Well-Known Member

Hi!
    I was wondering if Train Sim World has PS4 Pro support? I am only wondering this because I’d like to know if it doesn’t If putting it in boost mode will help make things run smoother. Thank you!!

• Like Like x 1
  2. xD 2Bad4You

xD 2Bad4You Well-Known Member

It does not have specific enhancements for the PS4 Pro. However given the Pro has a bit more power than the base PS4 you probably can squeeze some more fps out of it

• Like Like x 1
  3. -PjM-

-PjM- Well-Known Member

I've always had boost mode activated on my Pro matthewbguilford. It has never caused any problems and can add some extra oomph to those games that don't have specific Pro support.

I'm getting around 40 to 50 FPS on TSW, occasionally more, with it dropping to 30ish when it's busy on screen (plus the odd stutter). I must do a test without boost sometime to see the difference. If any! (Edit: I did and it seemed to run about 5 to 10 FPS slower, not drastic but any improvement is welcome)

On an HD screen the Pro's supersampling mode can also improve the appearance of games that support a higher resolution output. I don't think it has any effect on TSW though.

I wish TSW had higher textures on the Pro, I gladly sacrifice a few fps for a clearer view of the cab and instruments. I'm not so fussed about the view outside.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  4. matthewbguilford

Thanks for that in depth response! I am playing on a 4K HDR tv but considering TSW doesn’t have 4K HDR support I think the extra frames from boost mode will be worth doing. I’ll try this now! Maybe sometime in the future we might get pro support.

5. matthewbguilford

Update: What a huge difference in loading times while using the Boost mode. Where usually it would take a second to get to the next menu it’s almost instantaneous. About to drive a freight train on NTP. Will try to spot the differences!

6. -PjM-

-PjM- Well-Known Member

Jolly good.

As I said leave it switched on, it doesn't seem to have any averse effects, since without it enabled the Pro runs at the same speed as a standard version*. Since you've paid a bit extra for the Pro you might as well get the benefit. ;)

* In non Pro games.

(If you have a keyboard attached pressing F3 displays the FPS)

Last edited: Jun 9, 2019
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  7. matthewbguilford

Thank you for your help! It does seem to be running better FPS wise! I’m actually going to Goodwill today hopefully and can find a cheap keyboard that is compatible with my PS4. I really want to be able to turn off all of the hud plus being able to see the FPS would be great!

8. Rob39

Rob39 Well-Known Member

Just to give a comparison. Your PS4 pro in boost mode. 40-50 fps.
    Slim PS4 25-40 fps.
    West Somerset 40-50fps.

• Like Like x 2
  9. -PjM-

-PjM- Well-Known Member

Interesting. This is nearer to what I was getting without boost mode enabled. The Pro probably has a slight edge even without that.

The 40-50 was on NTP (the down and out scenario) which I think has better optimisation. I'll give it a go on the earlier West Somerset to see the difference there.

• Like Like x 1
  10. matthewbguilford

Update: I found a keyboard at my local Goodwill for $2. The good thing is it works so thank you for that tip!

11. Rob39

Rob39 Well-Known Member

You'll wonder how you ever did without it. So much easier.

• Like Like x 1
  12. matthewbguilford

I thought driving without the HUD would be easy but I was so very wrong lol. I know of all the Ctrl+ options for the HUD. I’m still mainly using a controller but Is there any other shortcuts I should know about?

13. Rob39

Rob39 Well-Known Member

Ctrl and + will toggle you from cab 1 to cab 2. Just make sure you sat in the drivers chair. Or it wont work.
    1,2,3 are different camera views. 8 is the free cam. Two tone horn space bar and N Keys. Press arrow keys to toggle views inside cab. Including sticking head out of side windows. i for instrument lights. H for headlights, v for wipers. To turn these aspects off press the key along with shift.
    Acknowledge aws and sifa with Q. (If you have the wsr 52 and cant press dsd. The keyboard works.)
    Delete, end and page down keys are positioned in a bunch of 3, they relate to pzb. So can use one of them to acknowledge, reset and clear monitoring. Press tab key to open options for signaller and door opening/locking.
    Theres more, but as you're doing. I leave the throttle, brake and movement to the ps4 controller (best of both worlds imo).

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  14. matthewbguilford

Very helpful!! Thank you very much!!! I’m excited I asked this question I ended up learning more then expected!

• Like Like x 1
  15. -PjM-

-PjM- Well-Known Member

And pressing the tab key is an easy route to the door control menu. Pressing tab again moves about in the menu then press return to select. Easier and quicker than pressing the left stick down I find. (Esc backs out)

# for handbrake. Again easier. (+Shift for off)
    Ctrl F2 is a good one for switching off the motion blur that effects the wheels etc.

It's F3 for the fps not F2 like I mentioned before!

It's quite confusing trying to remember all the key combinations, shame you can't remap them to other keys.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  16. matthewbguilford

Woah!! A lot of this sounds easier! You can turn off the wheel motion blur on consoles?!?!?
    Honestly, really appreciate your helpful answers.

17. -PjM-

-PjM- Well-Known Member

Oh yes! You have learnt more than you expected. :)
    It's the same blur on the likes of the cab windows etc. Don't expect miracles though, although there's no blur effect there's still some artifacts displayed. You may or may not think it's better.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  18. matthewbguilford

I just tried it and yes I do think it’s a lot better! The motion blur on the wheels always bothered me because it always had this blocky appearance so getting rid of that really made me happy! I found switching cabs a real winner as well! I’m going to screen shot your posts and keep them on hand!

• Like Like x 1
  19. matthewbguilford

Hi, just wanted to give an update on how the boost mode and keyboard are doing. I’ve put my PS4 Pro into boost mode every time before I boot up TSW and it really makes a difference. It may not be a huge difference but any improvement in stability and frame rate is welcome. As for the keyboard I have come back to reference your instructions and I will say that it has totally changed the way I play TSW. I’m really happy you mentioned something about it because that was the best $2 spend in a thrift shop. Just wanted to say keep being a positive member of the community and helping out as you are. It means a lot more when you make it personal other then just giving instructions.

• Like Like x 1
  20. -PjM-

-PjM- Well-Known Member

Just leave it switched on Matthew, it won't cause any problems and it'll save you having to do it each time.

I'm glad it's proved to be helpful to you. And it seems the keyboard has added even more of a boost! :D

(I wonder if there's a keyboard quick reference chart anywhere, it would be useful in remembering all the keys and combinations. I'll have to have a search.)