Longer Routes, Subscription Based

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by kingus.uk, Jun 7, 2019.

1. kingus.uk

kingus.uk Active Member

I've read with interest the suggestions on longer routes, and how the file sizes and amount of processing involved would be too much for consoles and some PCs, and thought that maybe a cloud-based streaming route model could be an answer.

So, instead of the routes being rendered and processed locally, some servers somewhere on the internet do all the grunt work for the route, streaming the results to your device. Leaving your local processing to do all the train and rolling stock stuff.

DTG could make this a subscription model (isn't everything a subscription model now), where enthusiasts could pay some pounds/dollars/euro monthly, and DTG can extend routes, make new routes etc, without burdening everyone with massive updates and downloads.

Moving a chunk of the processing away from the end-user device might also result in more traffic on the routes.

Just a thought...

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  2. jamesibbs

jamesibbs Member

I don't have good internet so it will lag alot

3. JJTimothy

JJTimothy Well-Known Member

My understanding is that TSW routes are relatively short because of the length of time it takes to develop them rather than any technical limitation. I would hope that, as more routes become available and start to meet or overlap each other, it would be possible to connect them somehow for longer journeys.

• Like Like x 1
  4. FallenAngel00me

FallenAngel00me Well-Known Member

Good idea, but maybe a few years too early