PC Service Mode And Random Events

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by theorganist, Jun 5, 2019.

1. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

Apologies if this has been covered before or if indeed the following is possible which I believe it isn't.

I love service mode but I do wish there was a way you could set a level of probability of something happening!

For example after you select the weather it would be great if you then had a menu where you could select say from one to five the possibility of an event, maybe a signal failure or an AI train breakdown or even a player train breakdown. Select one and that could be everything will run smoothly, two could be a small chance of an issue and so on. Anyone who travels regularly on the train will know that not everything runs smoothly, certainly on my local commute it sometimes feels as if those days are in the minority!

• Like Like x 5
  2. matthewbguilford

matthewbguilford Well-Known Member

I really think that this would be a great way to do this! I’ve never thought about that before but it’s a really great idea!

• Like Like x 1
  3. Big Papi34

Big Papi34 Well-Known Member

Yes perfect. I thought of this myself. It could add realism as well as potential crashes.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Lombra

Lombra Well-Known Member

As long as none of these events have the potential to ruin your current task, I'm all for it. Random game overs are just not fun by any stretch of the imagination.

• Like Like x 2
  5. KMAN

KMAN Well-Known Member

Hopefully with the Editor and the UE4 Blueprints we can create random Events and have more exciting scenarios.

• Like Like x 1
  6. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

Hmmm. We've had an editor in TS for years and creating random events has never been possible. What makes anyone think that something so risky would be included in a TSW editor? (That's a serious question, not an attempt to scorn this thread.)

7. theorganist

The ability of AI to shunt and run round trains wasn't possible either in TS1 and is now so it may well be possible.

8. Disintegration7

Disintegration7 Well-Known Member

I think it would be cool, but I'm highly doubtful anything will ever be introduced that would allow for crashes, or derailments that don't boot you immediately to a game over. I don't have any inside info, but I'm fairly certain DTG's licensing agreements with the railroads expressly prohibit that- this is an issue going all the way back to MSTS, IIRC.

• Like Like x 1
  9. KMAN

KMAN Well-Known Member

From what I have heard Matt say on the streams and having played with the UE4 Editor which the game is based on. The Blueprint system is very powerful and lets you do so much more than what is possible with scripting on TS2019. It does depend on how they have modified the UE4 base Editor but from what I can gather from watching the Devstream about the Editor the Blueprints system is still available.

10. Thelonius16

Thelonius16 Well-Known Member

That's a cool idea. However, I think the usual result of a random event on a railroad is that you just sit there until it gets cleared up.

If the random events involved a dynamic user-controlled element, it would be a lot more fun. For example, you are driving along, break down and now you are switched to being in control of the rescue train.

11. KMAN

KMAN Well-Known Member

In theory its possible but in practice maybe hard to implement. You could switch between scenario A and B. A= routine run, B = failed event and randomly select the probability of each.

12. theorganist

I wasn't anticipating crashes or collisions, that is not something I would want to see. I was thinking train breakdowns, signal failures, points failures etc

• Like Like x 1
  13. nne4229

nne4229 Well-Known Member

How about just more eventful scenarios like.. Trains running late in front of you or having to take a siding and waiting for a priority train.

• Like Like x 4
  14. Disintegration7

I like this idea a lot. I feel like i almost never have to wait at a red signal for another train.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Disintegration7

Me neither, i just think they'd be wary of the possibilities that could occur with signal failures, etc. I like the train breakdown idea btw.

16. Pensfanvw

Pensfanvw Member

Or track maintenance could be modeled. You would have to switch over to the opposite track at reduced speed.

• Like Like x 3
  17. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

Many of these ideas are interesting (not crashes), but are any of them feasible? Some folks (think Red Riding Hood) are already griping about sessions that they think are unplayable due to AI traffic (more likely, to slowness on the driver's own part), so I wonder how they would react to most of the complications hoped for here?

18. TinTin_57

TinTin_57 Well-Known Member

My word he’s on the moan this afternoon

19. theorganist

Well as I alluded to it would be good if you could set the likely hood of an event occurring. You could have variables you set like you set the weather from service mode as written through various levels of possibility of disruption.

It most likely isn't possible and most likely would never happen but I just thought it would be a good way to make service mode more interesting (not that it isn't interesting already) if you could add in the possibility of problems. I was just interested to know what others thought about it.

20. TinTin_57

TinTin_57 Well-Known Member

It’s a good idea. Someone above doesn’t often agree with anything, or fill out polls, so I wouldn’t worry

Last edited: Jun 15, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  21. nne4229

We need a scenario like that one on Sherman Hill when the heavy storm rolls in

• Like Like x 1
  22. raildan

raildan Well-Known Member

We actually do have a couple of those on CSX Heavy Haul. The "Ice and Snow" and "Powering America: Part 2" scenarios both have changing weather, albeit not random.

23. nne4229

Ice and snow would be nice if winter didnt turn into summer when I change views suddenly...

24. hyperlord

hyperlord Well-Known Member

Great ideas so far!