Route Suggestion: Horseshoe Curve

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Littlee64, Jan 16, 2018.

?
  1. I would like to see this route added to TSW!

2. I would like to see this route added in a different era.

3. I would like to see a different route added to TSW.

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Littlee64

Littlee64 New Member

Knowing that this was already suggested I would like to add my own Idea to this route.

Era: The Conrail Years
    Since the Horseshoe Curve has been completed in 1854, it has serviced many users, the Pennsylvania Railroad, then Penn Central, then Conrail, and nowadays Norfolk Southern. I would like to replicate the Conrail era of the line from 1976 to 1999.

[​IMG]
    A Conrail Autorack train works it's way up the Horseshoe Curve

Locomotives:
    EMD SD40

Knowing that Conrail used many SD40's and that we already have an SD40-2 model in the form of the SD40-2's from CSX heavy haul, it would only be logical to include this workhorse with the route.
    [​IMG]
    Conrail SD40 at work on the Horseshoe Curve

GE Dash 8-40CW

Conrail also used the GE Dash 8, which was the first American diesel locomotive to break the 4,000 horsepower barrier. This would be an obvious candidate for a horseshoe curve route because of it's high horsepower rating.
    [​IMG]
    Conrail GE Dash 8-40CW at work

EMD SD70MAC

The SD70MAC would be another candidate for the horseshoe curve route because of it's 4,000 to 4,300 horsepower rating, allowing it to tackle the grades of the horseshoe curve route easier to climb up the steep grades.
    [​IMG]
    An SD70MAC leads a coal train

Rolling Stock:

Obvious rolling stock would include Boxcars, Coal Hoppers, and tank cars, but it would be cool to also have Piggyback trailer cars, gondolas, and coil cars.

Picture Credit:
    http://www.carrtracks.com/crv6366.htm
    http://conrailphotos.thecrhs.org/ConrailEquipment/Locomotives/EMD/SD40-2?page=6
    https://train-simulator.com/first-to-4000-the-ge-dash-8-40c/
    http://locomotive.wikia.com/wiki/EMD_SD70MAC

• Like Like x 6
  2. NEC_Male_TC

NEC_Male_TC Active Member

Have it set in the Pennsy steam era with at least one Pennsy steamer and the entire subdivision from Altoona to Pittsburgh included and I'm sold, otherwise my advice to Dovetail Games is don't bother to make it.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
  3. 777Gaming

777Gaming Well-Known Member

Yeah... that ain't gonna happen in TSW. Maybe in TS though.

• Like Like x 1
  4. jedi247

jedi247 Well-Known Member

I'd like the Conrail SD80MAC. The 5000hp would be awesome. I would really like to see this famous route set in the PRR era. We could get some great PRR steam (for example: PRR T1 Duplex, 2-10-4 Texas, Steam Turbine, etc.) Diesel could include the Baldwin Centipede or Sharknose, SD7/9, GP7/9, F7 A-B-B-A set, FM H-16-44 or H-24-66 Trainmaster, etc.

• Like Like x 1
  5. 777Gaming

777Gaming Well-Known Member

Hey I’m not saying this is a bad idea, in fact I like it. I’m just stating the truth; DTG ain’t gonna make a route that big in TSW.

• Like Like x 1
  6. raildan

raildan Well-Known Member

Licensing is another problem: they can't do Conrail. They could do PRR or NS, though, and a shorter section of the route like in TS19 could still happen, probably modern to make it different from the PRR era TS19 route...

• Like Like x 1
  7. Railfan722

Railfan722 Well-Known Member

I mean, Conrail still exists as a company, and on their website they even have an email address to send requests for licensing. I would prefer to see the route at the earlier end of Conrail just for the possibility of open-sided autoracks, and the collage of patched locomotives like this:
    conrail.jpg
    Sorry Minerman!

8. raildan

raildan Well-Known Member

Yeah, but DTG doesn't have a license. We know this because some of the partner program people from TS19 have tried to get DTG to publish their locomotives on Steam, but they couldn't because of licensing issues. And, yeah, that's because Conrail is still a company- if they weren't this wouldn't be a problem since they still have NS and CSX licenses.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Railfan722

Railfan722 Well-Known Member

Ahh, fair enough - I thought you were saying that DTG couldn't get a licence at all, rather than them just not pursuing one. With the release of the N-Line for TS19, it gives some measure of hope that perhaps the terms of the DTG licensing for Norfolk Southern extend to TSW - only time will tell, I guess.