Sacramento Northern Re-master

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by THEEIWH, May 15, 2019.

1. THEEIWH

THEEIWH New Member

An idea to make up the perceived 'shortfall' of US DLC for TSW, could be to re-master a TS route for the new engine. Of course, I'm not suggesting anything like Soldier Summit, to keep the routes from breaking the game, but I'd like to propose an unusual line that I, for one, would love to see upgraded for TSW; the Sacramento Northern.

WHY?
    The Sacramento Northern is an unusual line, to say the least, being one of the largest interurban networks in the US. The line's mix of passenger and freight traffic would make for operational diversity, though the only shortfall would be a relatively sparse Service Mode. One interesting feature that could be added is the ability to interact with railroad facilities and buildings along the line; entering stations, offices, etc., especially at the SN's Shafter Yard Depot in Oakland

THE BACKGROUND
    The Sacramento Northern Railway operated 183 miles of electrified line connecting Chico, CA with Oakland in San Francisco, via the state capital at Sacramento, which before 1925, had been the meeting point of two interurban lines: the Oakland, Antioch and Eastern; and the Northern Electric Railway. The line came under the control of the Western Pacific Railroad in 1922, who kept the interurban lines as a separate entity to increase their income from freight, though the line also boasted first-class passenger services.
    The line operated in this manner until 1941, when passenger services were withdrawn. In 1944, the process of dieselizing the line began, until it became little more than a freight shortline in 1965.

THE ROUTE
    My proposal is that the route be re-mastered as it is in TS; set in the 1930s-40s when traffic was at its heaviest before passenger trains were withdrawn. The line itself would cover the 45-odd miles from San Fracisco's Transbay Terminal to the SN's Suisun Bay ferry crossing.

THE TRAINS
    As in the TS route, I propose that two, possibly three primary trains be included;

• SN HOLMAN 1003-CLASS
    These electric cars, operating with a string of trailers, were the regular passenger units on the SN.
    SN1003.jpg
    • SN/GE 650-CLASS STEEPLECAB
    These small electric locomotives provided the main freight service on the line up until dieselization.
    Steeplecab.jpg
    • KEY SYSTEM BRIDGE UNIT
    These units could be classed as optional, but even as AI would provide some variety on the route, given that the SN shares tracks with the Key System from Transbay Terminal to Shafter Yard.
    KeySystem.JPG

While some people may complain that remastering a route as opposed to creating an entirely new one is slightly idiotic, I feel that remastering an old line (i.e. Great Western Express), can still provide some interest and possibly new players.

Thanks for reading :)

• Like Like x 7
  2. FallenAngel00me

FallenAngel00me Well-Known Member

I would prefer older American routes over older British routes and I'm British lol

3. Tomas9970

Tomas9970 Well-Known Member

Isn't the TS version too new to be remastered? I mean there are older routes that look significantly worse than this.

4. THEEIWH

THEEIWH New Member

Good point, that. Tbh, it was a straight toss-up between this, the B&O Kingwood Sub, and the New Haven Springfield Line, but I'll admit to being biased to the Sacramento line because it's pretty unique.

5. eurocityboy

eurocityboy Active Member

That's a nice idea!

6. Big Papi34

Big Papi34 Well-Known Member

If DTG did a old American route it would be better in a steam era.