Tsw: The “tortoise And The Hare”

Discussion in 'Dovetail Live Article Discussion' started by TrainSim-James, Jun 20, 2019.

1. mrchuck

mrchuck Well-Known Member

Me to I’m Also waiting on the lirr Locomotive to be released to as well I bought this Locomotive yesterday and it is amazing.

2. LeadCatcher

LeadCatcher Well-Known Member

This would be a wise idea — Don’t get me wrong - I find the SW1000 and the Cab car to be good DLC. My disappointment over the failure to correct the ATC/ACSES problem for the route overshadowed the fact that I find this DLC to be well done, The SW1000 doesn’t even have the ATC/ACSES equipment installed since it isn’t a main line locomotive and works well on the route. Now for some, moving around a yard a 5 miles an hour might not be their cup of tea, but I do find the model well done, realistic in control and love the sounds. Many fine additions like the readjustable drivers seat - locking windows, manual wipers on the rear windows, etc.

The Cab car has the same attention to detail, but with the ATC/ACSES system not working probably because of the broken signaling. Nothing is fun about proceeding through the tunnel at a restricted speed of 15 mph. That frustration is avoided however by the fact you can’t enable ATC/ACSES on the model so following the signals is just fine.

Do hope they give NEC a bit of TLC like they did for RSN and PZB...

3. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

Matt P is aware that ATC and ACSES isn’t working.

4. John Murphy

John Murphy Well-Known Member

DTG doesn't get mad. They just deny the problems even exist and refuse to fix them, unless a ton of people constantly bug them to do it and then they do somewhat of a "fix" just to get people to shut up. If they wanted to finally make the Amfleet cab car, they should have done it for TS, where we have the full NYC to Philadelphia route to run it on. They could also release a Phase III version for the Pacific Surfliner route so people could use it with the Pepsi can Dash 8 on San Diegan trains.

• Like Like x 2
  5. John Murphy

I think "buyer beware" goes for anything that comes from DTG.

6. Ninetofive925

Ninetofive925 Well-Known Member

I agree with what others have said, the locos themselves are great (except the horns but that's just a TSW issue in general), but i find there's not really a whole lot to do with them, unlike the NTP freight DLC, which really added a lot to its route.

I'd recommend waiting for a sale if you're intersted in the locos, otherwise don't bother.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  7. idiosis

idiosis Member

Still buggered then is it? Like most people I assumed the addition of this DLC indicated that this route had been given a bit of attention, especially after the work that went into fixing RT.

Fingers crossed this ACSES issue gets the same treatment, it's not a great advertisement for the sim when a third of it doesn't work properly.

8. LeadCatcher

LeadCatcher Well-Known Member

Of course Matt P knows of the problem. He was probably aware of it when the DLC was released. I would like to know when or if it is on schedule to be fixed.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Big Papi34

Big Papi34 Well-Known Member

Well that's even worse lol. Too ashamed to admit they exist

• Like Like x 3
  10. John Murphy

Yeah seriously. If you have any kind of problem no matter what it is, they just blame it on your GPU or another one of your PC's specs, even if the DxDiag you send them proves your machine is more than capable of running the game. The problem is ALWAYS on your end in DTG's eyes, because they can do no wrong.

For example, just recently I tried reporting a conflict between a player train and an AI train that was caused by poor routing and AI programming on the LIRR route. However they turned it around and basically accused me of not having a good enough machine to run the game. How is that even possible? It's an AI problem. Admit it's a mistake on your end and fix it!

• Like Like x 1
  11. Dave Mel

Dave Mel Well-Known Member

in the end i cracked and bought these locos. they are modelled well and cant complain. as for the safety devices that everyone says are missing im not to bothered about, but admit they must be there for to use.

the route for the cabcar is too short for me. i followed this when i had to exit the train, why couldn't we exit it at the next station before it went off the map.
    is this real in america that you only shunt around at 5mph in yards it was great to thrash the goat at 60 mph in the tunnel in the scenario i did.

for the £11.50 i paid for this dlc im happy with it it because i mainly bought it for the locos. id give it my vote of 6/10.
    they still need to sort out the tunnel bit where bits of it go missing

• Like Like x 2
  12. TinTin_57

TinTin_57 Well-Known Member

Or another favourite one I get a lot is ‘it must be your save file which saved local and nothing to do with us’

• Like Like x 2
  13. raildan

raildan Well-Known Member

Usually yards are 15 mph, though I don't know how accurate this is for Sunnyside.

It's also interesting that they have that scenario (I don't have the DLC, but I saw it online) as not only would running a diesel in those tunnels be against Amtrak policy, but it would actually be genuinely illegal. There is a New York law that electric locomotives must be used in tunnels under New York (dating back to the days of steam, for somewhat obvious reasons). That's actually why all of this is electrified in the first place.

A few ultra-low-emissions gensets are allowed in there occasionally for emergencies only, but in real life this scenario just wouldn't happen.

It sounds fun though and I'm willing to give DTG a break on that one if it means we have more to do with the locomotive.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Big Papi34

When you have the same problems on the consoles AND a PC and DTG blames it on your PC, what are they supposed to say about the consoles. Well anyways that's DTG for you.

• Like Like x 1
  15. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

90% of the time it’s a fault at their end/a problem only DTG can fix, yet they seem to love to try and blame us and say it’s a problem with our hardware.

Like most ‘support lines’, I think they have an automated script and don’t even bother reading the message properly.

• Like Like x 4
  16. John Murphy

Technically those switchers shouldn't even be in the tunnel. Diesels aren't allowed in those tunnels in real life, at least not under their own power. They would have to be switched off and towed by an electric engine through the tunnel. The only reason why Amtrak's P32s go through the tunnel in real life is because they're actually dual mode units and can run off of both diesel and 3rd rail. They just run on the LIRR's 3rd rail in electric mode when in the tunnel. So normally the goat would be able to handle cars in the yard, but before going through the tunnel, power would have to be switched to either an ACS or a P32 in electric mode.

Also I highly doubt the speed limit for all of Sunnyside Yard is 5 mph. I've seen plenty of videos of the real Sunnyside and it looks like the trains are doing up around 10 or 15.

• Like Like x 2
  17. John Murphy

Oh he probably is. But who says they're gonna do anything about it?

• Like Like x 2
  18. Dave Mel

Dave Mel Well-Known Member

did the cabcar ever stop at the airport because instead of exiting when told to do so. i went and sat in a seat in the coach and watched where it went. the next stop on the route was the airport but it didnt stop there because it was set to go off the map. so why couldnt DTG get us to run the train to the airport and exit the service there, which would of made it a little bit of a longer route for the cabcar. i ask this because im not american and never been there so i dont know the routes around New York

19. oscarvirgoe

oscarvirgoe Member

Exactly, that is what happens in the story

20. Cd1990

Cd1990 Active Member

Oooh here's hoping, an hourly service down the mainline just looks bare.

Adding in a couple more branches would be amazing too, one can only dream... :D

• Like Like x 1
  21. mrchuck

When will the DE30AC and C3 Cab Car be available? to purchase I can’t wait until it’s available then more service will be available to play on the lirr route.

• Like Like x 1
  22. Big Papi34

This don't mean it will be made. Matt said in the baseless speculation thread that they try to get as much reference material as they can even if they have no plans to make it at that time.

23. LIRRGuy

LIRRGuy Well-Known Member

I was trying to say that
    We have many options, 1 make Either The M3,M9 or DM30AC for LIRR, 2 If it is NJT, and it is from Hoboone instead of Penn,3 Make a New American,UK,or German Route, we have so many options, what will Dovetail Chose

24. Big Papi34

Yes but does no one else think it would be wise to make a route with heavy freight and fast passenger action?

• Like Like x 2
  25. mrchuck

Like NJT?

26. LIRRGuy

LIRRGuy Well-Known Member

I was trying to say add freight to the LIRR, make The M3, DM30AC and Frieght for the LIRR. I want freight to happen but I also want additional passenger addtional LIRR DUE to the lack of DLC for the LIRR. I'm support whatever decision Dovetail Makes, and I support ur opinon.

• Like Like x 1