Have Dtg Given Up On Ts2019?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 749006, Jun 21, 2019.

Tags:
  1. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Most of the new items coming from DTG are for TSW.
    DTG have brought out an American route but very little European routes/locos.

A number of items have been released but these are from Partner Programs

Peter

• Like Like x 2
  2. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

Hi Peter DTG has not given up on TS19 there is stuff still coming soon, and Matt has said on his streams that TS19 will still have content coming out.

3. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Just most of the content is not from DTG but from the partner program.

4. ChooChooKeith

ChooChooKeith Active Member

Since getting TS2019 I have seen improvements as it was hard for me at the beginning when things were not working well. I would love to see more stuff come out. Just Trains did a great job with U-Bahn so maybe more to come from them.
    The other thing is why if people are playing TS2019 would they need another simulator like TSW. Why keep TS if TSW is going to take over completely. My argument has been why come out with TS2019 when you could have just come out with TSW as the new Train sim. You always say that TS has a very old engine running it. ok fine! so get rid of it instead of coming out with 64 bit and having people buy that instead of TSW.

5. Cat

Cat Well-Known Member

Keith, I'm certain that revenue from TS2019 is financing the development of TSW.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  6. Wivenswold

Wivenswold Well-Known Member

As always the actuality is a little more complex than "out with the old and in with the new". For a start, TS "Classic" is still a thriving game with new routes coming out like Just Trains' Midland Main Line north and their Metropolitan Line, I know of several independent developers who are building and improving routes.

The recent upgrade to 64 bit has also helped revive interest and some developers are bringing out some great new motive power that push the limits of what was previously possible. So TS is probably entering its golden period right now. DTG would be bonkers to let go of it any time soon because it makes money and pays wages.

Then there's the "reach" for TSW. DTG have made the bold step of aiming their new sim at a slightly different audience with games machines (sorry no idea which ones) capability and shorter routes. In the short term is makes absolute sense to widen their potential market, hopefully the target market will become interested in the railways and train sims. Once you've got a steady revenue stream there then DTG can start to develop a higher level of TSW for less casual gamers and old duffers like me who want 3rd party DLC and a general tinker around.

I think that DTG have reached a good place after years of development of both platforms. The new challenge is to not be satisfied with sustaining that level and allow the games to become stale. I am positive DTG can do it.

• Like Like x 2
  7. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

And here we go again with the "lets get rid of the old engine running the game"

You have only been playing with TS2019 for a very short period of time.
    A lot of players have been using Train Simulator for much longer and the best part is the Backwards Compatibility
    You have a number of German Routes but there has only been one or two released since TS2019 appeared.
    Would you like it if DTG said from now everything you have bought in the past won't work with the next version?

Which is why TSW has been released as it Does have a new engine and it Does Not have to work with routes and trains that have been released over the past 7 years.

Peter

8. ChooChooKeith

You completely miss the point which is why did they even come out with 2019 when TSW was going to take over with the new engine???? what part of that don't you understand???? you guys make a big deal out of 64 bit which has been out for over 10 years anyways and then say that's an improvement when it really is not because TS has an old engine so it does not matter right??? The only thing I can see the 64bit has done for TS is what Just trains did with U-Bahn which brought a route to life with atomostphere. signs that change on the train and then the information system that announces stops etc. but you no other routes have this or trains for that matter.

On the other hand I like what they improved on TS such as the editor and stability. so these are good things. what I don't get is now you have a more improved game but they may do away with It? because of the old engine. Then why again make improvements and more routes. Instead of moving people marketing wise to TSW. I would not come out with TS2020 because it really makes no sense if they plan to do that. This is all I was saying before but you seem not to understand that for some reason.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  9. TrainSim-Daniel

TrainSim-Daniel Active Member

It's been said multiple times but maybe it needs stating again.
    We have no plans to stop updating and producing content for Train Simulator for the foreseeable future.

In regards to 64-Bit being old news, there's actually still plenty of games much much larger than Train Simulator that are still 32-Bit.

Personally, I still see this as a huge milestone as it allows the game to make the most of modern systems when before it was severely hampered by the 32-Bit memory limit.

Now creators can add more scenery and detail to their routes making them longer than ever before and I can only see this as being a good thing for Railfans as a whole, not just those who produce and sell content for the game.

I'm not sure why anyone would advocate abandoning a title which still has a passionate and active fanbase.

• Like Like x 6
  10. Cat

Cat Well-Known Member

Keith, we understand your point about having two train sims competing for the same market. But as I have said earlier, income from TSsales is financing the development of TSW until TSW turns a profit.

While DTG are making money from TS why would they drop it, it wouldn't make sense to kill the golden goose.

Also, what makes you think that if DTG dropped TS then everyone would move over to TSW? I wouldn't and I'm sure many others would not, too much time and money invested in TS to bin it in favour of something shiny but less versatile.

In other words, DTG are hedging their bets. If TSW doesn't take off then good ol' TS is still there.

11. Ighten

Ighten Member

And thats a bad thing!!!!! Most third party releases are miles ahead of anything DTG ever released and now they come with the advantage userwise that DTG are at least entering into deals to get them on one platform (Steam)

12. ChooChooKeith

Daniel,

In no way would I want you guys to do away with TS at all. Like I have said before I like the improvements and would love to see more such as the U-Bahn type routes. If Just trains can come out with something like that then yes I think its great.
    Why can't you make improvements to the ICE trains where the buttons work. Input Departure and Destination in the computer in the train and then the announcement system. These are the kind of things I will be looking for.

Thanks

Keith

Last edited: Jun 26, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  13. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

I'm not advocating the abandonment of TS20xx - in fact I much prefer it over TSW which has far too many faults for my liking.
    And I hope TS20xx keeps going for a very long time - I have had the game on my computer since 2012 (Railworks 3) and I have spent a lot of money of routes and stock to see it go to waste.

I was just wondering as to why there does not seem to be many UK routes and Rolling stock coming direct from DTG instead of from the Partner Program. The last full route, not just an extension, was the North Wales Coastal from October 2018.

And there is the frustration of having bought an add-on which has faults, The TGV® Réseau and RDuplex, DTG are taking a long time fixing.

Peter

• Like Like x 3
  14. ChooChooKeith

Yes I also prefer TS over TSW. so I am with you on that.

15. Matthew Wilson

Matthew Wilson Well-Known Member

Even if DTG were taking their foot off the gas with TS20XX, there's so much work going on within the community (many of whom would love to have a crack at TSW but at the moment aren't able to). I see Armstrong Powerhouse still producing, Just Trains, European developers, and many freeware operations - and speaking personally, there's still things I am producing where my work has improved and the scope of what is achieved has improved for the users of TS20XX. There's many years of life in the old girl yet, don't worry. Below is a selection of stuff I've been working or assisting on recently at Vulcan Productions

Last edited: Jun 29, 2019
    • Like Like x 5
  16. Cat

Cat Well-Known Member

Agreed with the above and thanks for the great reskins Matt.