PlayStation More High Speed Trains.

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by matthewbguilford, Jun 25, 2019.

1. matthewbguilford

matthewbguilford Well-Known Member

Hello everyone!
    I know when I started TSW I enjoyed every route and every train, one that sticks out the most to me though is driving on GWR in the BR class 43 at 125mph. I’m glad we have routes that have a top speed of 60mph but I’d really like to see another high speed route in the game which I know the length of the routes are tricky as you can’t make a route 40 miles with a train that goes 160mph+ As you could complete the route in a short amount of time. I’m hoping as routes get longer we will be able to see more modern high speed trains. What do you guys think about driving High speed trains in TSW? Would you like to see one added in the future?

• Like Like x 3
  2. xD 2Bad4You

xD 2Bad4You Well-Known Member

Personally i would love to see a ICE route at some Point. But for this to make sense they would need to create a longer route and i´m not sure if theres currently a market for it. Cause if they create a longer route they need to charge more for it, and a lot of people are already complaining about the "high" prices with every DLC.
    I would happily pay more for a longer route but that might doesnt apply to the majority of the playerbase currently.

• Like Like x 1
  3. matthewbguilford

matthewbguilford Well-Known Member

I would love to see an ICE train as well. That totally makes sense how they would need to charge more then usual which I would totally be okay with paying $40-$50 for a much longer route. I think some people would have a hard time with the price but if Dovetail in depth communicated with the community on why the route would cost more I think a lot of people would be okay with it.

4. FallenAngel00me

FallenAngel00me Well-Known Member

They don't have to charge more for a longer route. (Witcher 3 was £55 and that's a much longer, bigger game than say, uncharted 4 (£55 too).

But we'd have to be more patient waiting for them to complete it, maybe DTG could just throw more scenarios and locos to keep people busy.

5. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

And made by different companies so their determination of value cannot be compared. DTGs determination of value is what matters here

• Like Like x 2
  6. xD 2Bad4You

Its hard to compare these games with TSW. Simulation games are always more expensive. Detailed recreation of real things is different to a fitional game. Look at planes for Flight Simulators for example. Also DTG probably nowhere near has the staff that CD Project Red has. Its a niche hobby in the end.

DTG itself has stated along the lines that a longer routes would be more expensive for us. They only have X employes for certain tasks. If you make a longer route you bind the enviroment artists longer for example. In that time they could have created the assets for maybe 2 routes. That makes the development of the route more expensive. You cant expect a route that needs 2x the time of the developers compared to a "standard" route to be priced the same.

• Like Like x 2
  7. FallenAngel00me

Tbf I never said they shouldn't, just that they don't have to

8. xD 2Bad4You

Well but thats the point. In my opinion they have to, because otherwise they would have a loss from the start.
    Bigger games often get funded by Publishers and such. And they get a financial success if they exceed a specific number of sales.
    In case of a niche hobby like that, you probably cant expect that a longer router suddenly sells 2x as much as a normal route. So you need to make it more expensive from the beginning to counter that.

• Like Like x 1
  9. DB628

DB628 Well-Known Member

We need finally a 200 Kilometer route for high Speed trains

10. FallenAngel00me

Yeah I wouldn't really blame them for charging more, as long as the long route has the quality of their shorter routes

• Like Like x 2
  11. Mkdog45

Mkdog45 Well-Known Member

i think we should have hs1 with the class 395

• Like Like x 1
  12. ARuscoe

65 miles in 39 minutes with two intermediate stops. Would that be "long enough", especially given the first while is a tunnel?

13. Mkdog45

Mkdog45 Well-Known Member

14. Rob39

Rob39 Well-Known Member

Id be happy for a route to be brought out 40 or so miles at a time.
    Ie GWE making its way West towards Bristol, Taunton, Exeter. Could even pick up the West Somerset as it goes along.
    Would be interesting to see a thread with a poll on here. What would most interest you.
    Ie A 40 mile High speed route with a Pendolino.
    Or A GWE route upgrade with extra 40 or so miles to Swindon and Electrostar?
    Id be excited about a Pendolino dlc, but Im swaying towards an updated 76 mile GWE route.
    The route could be fully up to date. Treat as a new dlc to customers that dont own GWE.
    Say £40 for the full route.
    £25 for people that already had the original.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Doomotron

Doomotron Well-Known Member

Didn't the 100-mile WCML North cost just £12 or so? It's pretty absurd to ask £40 for a DLC. Hell, £25 is already too much for routes shorter than the Chatham Main Line!

16. underwaterdick

underwaterdick Active Member

Just a thought, but it can't be "too much" at that price if people are buying it!
    Sadly that is enough of a statistic to justify its own price. The other thing to be looked at would be how many more DLC items do they sell when it is on sale? - if more when on sale than at full price, they will see that a reduced price would increase sales. If less, then they have their justification.
    DLC, like any product, also has to be sold at a justifiable price. A whole new route, scenery, signals, rolling stock and scenarios takes a lot more work than a skin or new gun for the likes of COD/Battlefield. So don't expect the same sort of price. Each route is almost a game of its own.

17. underwaterdick

underwaterdick Active Member

A GWE extension would be amazing. I wouldn't even mind if you had to drive to reading and face a loading screen for the next section onwards if it counted as the same journey.
    IMO it should be set in the same time frame as the current route not today though, or that would spoil the realism a little.

18. Doomotron

It's funny that, because Polyphony Digital have almost doubled the car list for their latest game (the previous one was from 2013) for free. And they've remade the game. It's almost unrecognisable from launch day. For free. The game is certainly more popular than it was at the start.

And, Dovetail, the game has sold at least ten times as many copies as its competitor, which is the same as the last one, and it has a huge DLC library.

I can be certain that if DTG added all new content for free, the extra sales would pay for itself. In an age with the constant rip-offs that are Forza and Call Of Duty being released every year at the same ridiculous prices, a game like TSW that is unique and certainly not destroying itself with microtransactions could be huge - look at FSX and Euro Truck - if only Dovetail took it really seriously, they could make a brilliant top-selling simulator that will give DTG the positive reception they deserve but only get when they do really well, like with RSN, and could help save gaming from the hole Activision, Microsoft Studios and Electronic Arts are digging it into. But sometimes they release absolute rubbish like the Class 91 that gives Dovetail the hate they get.

Dovetail: no matter how many copies you sell, is £25 really the right price for DLCs? Only a couple of routes are that much in RailWorks, and one of them is London to Bedford, yet the aged but still brilliant WCML North is £12.

If somebody was thinking about buying TSW in a year or two, they might have a look in the DLC library and see routes they're interested in. They'd say "I need this game." But then, they see the game and their favourite routes cost £100. They'll walk away. Not one sane person would pay that much for a game. Now if all these routes were just monthly updates, this person would probably give DTG a guaranteed sale. And then other people would buy it. Think about that.

One last thought: Portal 2 is one of the best games of all time. It has no DLC. The game is just £7. It is kept alive by mods that are free that add new stories and gameplay mechanis. The game is from 2011 but still survives because of its originality. Train Sim World is original. It's a first person train game. There's no game like that. Similar, but not exact. DTG needs to use this potential, so, Dovetail, give us that editor, focus more on quality and stop charging us £25 for a tiny route!

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  19. ARuscoe

And a total sidebar for the people that made it. Valve don't rely on the games they make to make money so can afford to keep an old game going for nothing. If you're going to compare DTG to huge companies they're always going to compare unfavourably

• Like Like x 2
  20. Doomotron

But the point still stands. It is still alive because of how original Portal is (and optimisation, eh Dovetail) and TSW is also original.