PC Highjacking Threads

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by kalteVollmilch, May 18, 2019.

1. kalteVollmilch

kalteVollmilch Well-Known Member

Hi all,
    I want to talk about a problem which in my mind slowly but surely becomes more and more prominent on this forum: highjacking of threads.
    What that is you ask?
    At least for me, this is the usage of a thread with a certain topic to ask questions of a totally different topic, for whatever reason.
    2 examples:
    1 - the thread where one community member asked about how a route is created. A very nice thread, very informative and Matt answered a lot of really interesting questions about route building. And at this point, someone comes along, quotes Matt and instantly asks about whether there will be a DLC for LIRR or not.
    This question does not have anything to do with the thread at all and is simply asked because Matt has been seen in this thread.
    Pleas don't do this, use the appropriate places in the forums for this!
    2 - the constant asking about an M3 also for LIRR. As soon as a thread is about the LIRR, people will come and tell how much needed an M3 is. We get it, you want that DLC very much. But please, don't use every single thread you can get for this topic. Make a new one in the appropriate places or use existing ones with the correct topic.

What do you say? Am I right or simply nitpicking?
    (also sorry for spelling errors, mobile and so on..)

That's it from me for the moment, also this was kind of a little rant :D

• Like Like x 24
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  2. Dakota

Dakota Member

I'll chime in here... it is very annoying and inconsiderate. I agree with you and wish people paid a bit more attention to their etiquette. Plus the hijackers' questions end up hidden in a thread with an unrelated topic so their chances of getting an answer or comment are lower anyway.

• Like Like x 4
  3. Juxen

Juxen Well-Known Member

No, I agree with you. One other phenomenon that happens after the thread has been hijacked is that a quite interesting and fulfilling thread dies very quickly when we get the endless "but when is the railroad in my town coming out" questions. As soon as I see "LIRR" or "Amtrak" in a "How feasible is a 200-mile route in UE4" thread, most of us leave and never come back to the thread.

• Like Like x 6
  4. Thelonius16

Thelonius16 Well-Known Member

That's a great point.

When do you think the tomatoes in my garden will be ripe?

• Like Like x 5
  5. Big Papi34

Big Papi34 Well-Known Member

I agree very much with you. I remember I mentioned that in a old post Matt said something about getting reference material for the DM30AC. (I can't remember which thread I was new to the forums) and so someone decided to say there were rumors of it being made. That's another problem.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Juxen

Juxen Well-Known Member

Rumors, speculation, and wild theories on my rail forum? Say it ain't so!

We really are good at looking for information where there is none. Something, something, armchair railfans?

And Thelonius, depending on your climate, soil acidity, and watering/rain frequency, you should start seeing them ripening anywhere from now (ours are all red) to the end of this month. ;)

• Like Like x 6