Mistaking A Sd70mac For A D9-44cw Aka Dash 9.

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Big Papi34, Jul 3, 2019.

1. Big Papi34

Big Papi34 Well-Known Member

I was watching a Trains and Locomotives episode about military trains. I enjoy the show allot and as I'm watching they show a BNSF train carrying brand new tanks. Well before it emerged into clear view (it was coming out of a tunnel.) The narrator said on the head end it had a brand new es44dc and 3 wide cab dash 9. Well the first 3 engines are right then comes a sd70mac. The sd70mac has very and I mean VERY many differences. So I get triggered in the middle of the night over something stupid. Here's the difference between a dash 9 and sd70mac.
    Dash 9 6301249123_62b7f04d5e_b.jpg
    sd70mac BNSF 8800 SD70MAC.jpg

2. -PjM-

-PjM- Well-Known Member

I love these spot the difference quizzes. It's got different coloured handrails on the steps? :)

Joking aside it's strange to my British eyes a lot of American diesel locos look very similar. One cab, a long engine bonnet, mainly 6 wheeled bogies etc. I have trouble telling them apart. But viewing from "across the pond" I expect the same may be true of our locos too. It's what we are used to I suppose.

At the moment I have trouble with the German locos in the game. I get my DB this mixed up with my DB that. I'll get better I hope.

Did you get any sleep? :D

• Like Like x 2
  3. Juxen

Juxen Well-Known Member

If it helps for a couple of spotting differences on EMD's vs. GE's: The GE's have an angled cab in only one corner (Dash 8 - ET44AC), whereas the EMD's have two corners angled, or they have the boxy protrusion of an SD70M-2/ACe. The trucks are radically different, and SD70MAC's have a slim rear profile, whereas a GE has the "hammerhead" radiators at the rear. That has since changed on the SD70ACe/M-2, to where the rear radiators extend to within 4' of the rear of the hood.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Big Papi34

I know this. I'm not a GE vs EMD can, I like them all. Though it just disappointed me a person over a informational train show couldn't tell these differences.

5. Big Papi34

At 3am but yes.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Big Papi34

Wait don't GE and EMD both have corners on the cab? I always thought they did just slightly different angles.
    EMD NS1806tp1.jpg GE maxresdefault.jpg

7. Juxen

Juxen Well-Known Member

True, but notice the back of the nose on the SD70 is below the window. I don't really know how to explain it, other than EMD's have two notched corners (making a 30° incline), versus a GE with the one-corner-notch.

Also, the initial response was more towards PjM, not you, Papi.

8. Big Papi34

My bad.

9. Juxen

Juxen Well-Known Member

No worries! :)

• Like Like x 1
  10. -PjM-

-PjM- Well-Known Member

Oh thanks. I can see what you mean and studying the pictures I can see multiple differences. It's just that because of the general layout on first glance I see "diesel from the USA" rather than a specific type. Well actually I think Dash 9 because that's a name I know. :)

Question. Are the various types of loco equipped for multiple unit working with other types/makes? Is there a common control system really, or do they have to have separate drivers?

And... Are there any diesel locos of note with dual cabs (both ends)? I've seen two cabbed electric locos.

11. Juxen

Juxen Well-Known Member

First question: Yes, since about the early days of diesels in the US. There's a 27-pin electrical connector between locomotives, and each pin is designated by the AAR (Association of American Railroads) for having a particular function. There were a few that didn't use the standard, notably Baldwin (their Sharknoses used a pneumatic setup), and until about 1960, Multiple Unit connections were considered "optional extra equipment", so some old locos don't have MU'ing.

Second question: Not really; since almost all trains require multiple locomotives, it's easier to have two locos facing back-to-back. Locomotive cabs take up considerable space and money, so the fewer, the better. Plus, there's usually a wye to turn a train or loco set every 50 some-odd miles. In fact, you're more likely to see a locomotive without a cab at all (EMD's F-Units, SD40-2B's, and GP60B's as an example) than twin-cabbed locomotives in the US. There were no diesel locomotives of note that had dual-cabs in the US.

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  12. -PjM-

-PjM- Well-Known Member

Thanks Juxen. An interesting and very informative reply.

Yes I've seen pictures of those cab-less slave units you mentioned. A neat idea that makes sense in providing extra power.
    I suppose it's the different operational requirements that over here dictate that nearly all of our locomotives have two cabs. I can only think of 3 types of single cabbed mainline diesels and 2 of them have been long extinct. Plus there were a couple of central cabbed versions that again are now withdrawn.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Big Papi34

Are you a engineer? Your post in baseless speculation thread makes me think that.

14. Juxen

Juxen Well-Known Member

Hehehe, I used to be a freight conductor on a shortline, as well as part-time engineer.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Big Papi34

That's cool. What shortline, I'm not that familiar with shortlines.