Wdw Monorails

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by pappleby8, Jul 9, 2019.

1. pappleby8

pappleby8 New Member

I think it would be awesome to add a wdw monorail package into the game. Kinda changes things up a bit and would be a lot of fun to drive!

• Like Like x 3
  2. byeo

byeo Well-Known Member

I’m a huge Disney fan but this will never happen. Doesn’t wouldn’t let this Licence go out and there is way too many image rights around the parks and hotels to contend with.

Cinderella Castle
    Main Street Train Station
    Grand Floridian Hotel
    Polynesian Resort Hotel
    Contemporary Resort Hotel

That’s just the Magic Kingdom loop before you do the Epcot line.

• Like Like x 3
  3. pappleby8

pappleby8 New Member

Your absolutely right but EA got the rights to some Disney games and I think train sim world could do the same

• Like Like x 1
  4. CoyoteMan

CoyoteMan Active Member

Oh gosh, i actually was a monorail driver at WDW. This has been something Ive been secretly wishing would happen eventually. But the problem is Disney would see it as quite the security threat. While the WDW monorails are now mostly automated (I actually drove them before they were) a lot of the controls havent changed.

Maybe in the future when the MKVI trains are replaced DTG can reach out to the Walt Disney Company about doing something like this...

• Like Like x 2
  5. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

EA do a lot of the star wars games, Disney owns Star Wars so maybe it was a trade off somewhere. That and EA is the second biggest games company in the world so probably has a bit more buying power than DTG

• Like Like x 1
  6. pappleby8

pappleby8 New Member

Odd Question CoyoteMan but how did you get your job in Monorails? I would love to do that job but nothing has been posted on the Disney casting website? I was it a popular job? Also what were the controls like. I’ve seen pictures of them but never knew how they worked.

7. CoyoteMan

CoyoteMan Active Member

I don’t advise working at Disney, especially monorails. It was one of the most mind bending places I’ve ever worked at. The politics, the socializers, the internal drama... you name it, it was messed up. The best part of the day was getting away from others.

I could go into detail but it would be a novel. Just stick to “rail fanning” the monorails. It’s not worth potentially ruining your passion for the trains just to work there.

Now about the controls. When you bumped a train (take over for another driver) and it was normal visual the routine went something like this:

1. Glance at the VOBC (the display) for anything weird. Also verify train order and clearance procedures. (ie. Following blue, normal visual)
    2. Close unload side gates and doors
    3. Close load side gates and doors
    4. Swipe a blue “key” tag over a black square in the center of the control console.
    5. Using your index & middle finger, press the switch for “run” and reverse switch “fwd”.
    6. Check mirrors for clear platform and green dispatch Signals
    7. Check VOBC & the hardline for green MBS.
    8. Check VOBC for green “CLOSE” indications for both sides of doors.
    9. P5 on the MCU

The MCU is the throttle/brake. It has 5 throttle positions, neutral, and 4 braking positions. The 5 throttle positions will cut amps to the traction motors at certain speeds. This makes it easier to drive under certain speed limits. Imagine it like a cruise control. P5 being 40MPH.

The braking was based on dynamic braking power from the motors when above 10MPH unless in emergency. Below 10MPH air was applied to the brake cylinders.

Ok I’m gonna leave it there for now but that’s the jist of driving a monorail

• Like Like x 4
  8. pappleby8

pappleby8 New Member

Thank you so much! You have really helped me think. One last question is it true that you only drive for 1 hour a day and work on the platform for the rest?

9. CoyoteMan

CoyoteMan Active Member

1-2 hours a day if it’s a base, MK, or Epcot shift. If it’s a resort shift it’s more like 2-3 hours. I think it’s this way so Disney can justify the low wage.

10. pappleby8

pappleby8 New Member

This has been awesome taking to someone who did the job! Thank you so much!

11. Big Papi34

Big Papi34 Well-Known Member

Sounds easier driving a SD70ACe. That sounds complicated. And 1-3 hours depending on each shift isn't enough. One good thing about the railroad is good pay. 72,000-113,000 a year is great.

12. MadEdders

MadEdders Active Member

I've thought about this as well and having been in May it has made want it even more. Sadly it probably won't happen, as you will have to get the licensing from Disney. Plus I think the route is too short compared to the other routes in TSW.

• Like Like x 1
  13. dramos#3074

dramos#3074 Member

Wuppertaler schwebebahn

14. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

That monorail should merge with Bahnstrecke Düsseldorf Hauptbahnhof Wuppertal Steinbeck Hagen Hbf via Ennepetal Rhein Ruhr Osten since parts of it are visible on RRO.