Runaway 101

Discussion in 'TSW Troubleshooting & Issues Discussion' started by InspectorTiger, Jul 3, 2019.

1. InspectorTiger

InspectorTiger Well-Known Member

Not really a problem report, more of an anecdote. I was doing the 101 tutorial on TVL, and brought the train into the final station whispering gently to an near-perfect stop on just a smidgen of brakes. Just before the buffers, I released the brakes altogether to let the train roll the last inch and come to a stand of its own accord, to imagined uproarious applause from the passengers.

"Congratulations, you've finished the tutorial, please exit the vehicle." I stood up to do so, realised I hadn't put the brakes on, and tried to grab the brake lever, only to be told "You do not have permission to drive this service". Making a rapid exit from the cab, I could only stand and watch as the 101 rolled gently backwards out of the platform, slowly gathering speed, until it passed a red signal and I received an ignominious 'Tutorial Failure - Signal Passed at Danger'.

Now, I ask you, is that fair? If I'm not in charge of the train and therefore not allowed to put the brakes on, why should I be blamed for the resultant SPAD? You can't have it both ways, DTG. The train was responsible for its own demise, and therefore any disciplinary action should be taken against the train itself (withholding fuel or essential maintenance, perhaps).

• Like Like x 3
  2. ales.hnyk

ales.hnyk Member

Something similar happened to me. I stopped uphill, and just before the end I switched off the brakes. At that moment, when the train stopped, the brakes are blocked and the train began to back away. And I couldn't finish the tutorial.
    Why are the features limited in the tutorials? I should be able to try everything without time stress in the tutorial.

• Like Like x 1
  3. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

I guess it simulates real life, where when you bring the train to a stop you wouldn't just "release the brakes" but would likely either put them in full service, they would be interlocked or you would apply the handbrake. So technically the game has it right and you messed up, but that doesn't help in game

Either way, seeing your consist roll down the hill must be slightly alarming but funny

• Like Like x 1
  4. ales.hnyk

ales.hnyk Member

The situation is different. If this happens in service mode, I pull the brake and stop. Playing in the tutorial after stopping blocks the handling and brakes that remains open.

5. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

You said above that just before you stopped you switched off the brakes. This probably wouldn't happen IRL

• Like Like x 1