Coal Loading Speed Problem

Discussion in 'TSW Troubleshooting & Issues Discussion' started by Dagrynn, Jun 29, 2019.

1. Dagrynn

Dagrynn Member

There is a problem with the Coal Lading tutorial for Heavy Haul. I'm not able to get the train up to 2mph. No matter what I try it stays at 1.8mph and I cant get the speed instruction to clear in order to finish the tutorial.

Has anyone found a workaround for this?

2. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

I hadn't tried running that tutorial for quite a while, so I just did so. Some of the opening instructions are missing: e.g.: you're not told to release all brakes before advancing the throttle. Once the throttle is set at 1 or higher (but 1 is enough, as explained in the instructions), the train will start moving at 1.7 to 1.8 MPH. That's the loading speed range and 2 MPH is neither necessary nor possible. As for clearing slow speed, the on-screen instruction couldn't be more clear: once loading (in this case, of only a few cars) is complete, simply advance the throttle slightly (2 or 3), then follow the instruction to return the throttle to 0 and stop the train.
    Hope this helps.

3. elumcakes

elumcakes New Member

Hey Dagynn, I had this issue too and was stuck on it forever. I believe there's an objective trigger that bugs out so you get stuck on "Get the train up to speed", even if you load the entire train up with coal. Mine was stuck on 1.7-1.9mph and I think you need to hit 2.0mph for the tutorial to sequence to the next objective.

Try this; after you set up the IFD (you set 2.0mph on the screen and switch it On), make sure you fully release both brakes before you even set the reverser to Forward. Because this is a tutorial, the brake controls are locked most of the time, but after you engage the auto-speed you have a brief window of opportunity to pull the automatic and independent brake levers towards you, then engage Forward, then set the throttle. This should hopefully fix the trigger (wait 10-20 seconds for the train to pick up speed and approach the coal loader).

If nothing happens, you can try moving the throttle all the way forward (to B8 I think?), let the train stop completely, then pull the throttle all the way back to N8 to re-engage the auto-speed. For me this was the only way to force it to exceed 2.0mph and trigger the next objective.

Of course this completely defeats the purpose of a simulation because you'd never do that IRL, but hey if all else fails...

Let me know if that helped.

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  4. rodtod423

rodtod423 New Member

I've tried all of these solutions but, the tutorial is fixed. You cannot deviate. The train never reaches 2 mph and you can never complete the tutorial successfully. I would really like to complete it, but it is impossible.

5. mebond

mebond New Member

Thanks for the tips on completing this tutorial ... they worked!

6. LastTrainToClarksville

This is nonsense! As noted above, I once again ran and completed the tutorial just a few days ago and there is no need for the train to reach 2 mph.

7. Dagrynn

Dagrynn Member

Thank you, That solution worked! I was able to get control of the throttle and "gunned the engine" just enough to get it to tip the scales to 2mph.

8. rodtod423

rodtod423 New Member

Then how exactly do you complete this tutorial??? I have tried numerous times. I have completed ALL of the others successfully. Just this one will not work. I followed the directions specifically, and as I said, completed the others just fine. So it isn't that I am not following directions. It just isn't completing!

9. LeadCatcher

LeadCatcher Well-Known Member

Wonder why there are such a difference on this tutorial... I ran it and successfully completed it on my first run through. Reran it after reading this thread and again no problems noted. Obviously many are having problems, just wonder what the difference is?

10. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

It's probably a single instruction or item that is being missed. Because many of the functions are locked out during the instruction simulations it can be frustrating not to just gun the engine to reach the speed and get that tutorial ticked

11. LastTrainToClarksville

All of those complaining seem to be fixated on reaching 2 mph, and that's their stumbling block.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Kutschi67

Kutschi67 New Member

This tutorial is definitely bugged. Can't say if reaching 2mph is the the problem, or there is simply missing a trigger to force the tutorial go ahead (sometimes ..?? … as some seems to get it finished …??) . As i saw some videos, i know how it should work. After setting up the automatic slow speed, going back into normal drivers view, i'm able to get the train running (at 1,8mph) but the message "speed up the train" never disappears. The train is slowly moving forward, reaches the loading station, even the coal trailers got loaded and you got the "coal loading" info , but the tutorial is still stuck on the "speed up the train" message. You never see the indicators for the trailer capacity. The games is filling every trailer, not only five (like it should work in this tutorial), the train is moving in "slowspeed" not only till ALL trailers are completely loaded, it moves till it got stuck on the end blocks of the rail, and the tutorial never move on to the next step.
    The workaround mentioned above did not helped, either the train wont start moving or it happens the same as described above.
    Very disappointing!

13. Dave Mel

Dave Mel Well-Known Member

i completed this scenario first time. just set slow speed control to 1 mph release the brakes and throttle to idle. it will run through at 1 mph. that all the speed that is needed.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Kutschi67

Kutschi67 New Member

Dave Mel
    First of all, thanks for your help, now i managed to finish this thing … but really weird. I managed to set 1mph instead of 2, but this did not help at all. The train only speed up to 0,9mph and the tutorial stuck at the same point as before. Tried several times an in the last try the "slowspeed" was set again to 1.0 mph but the trains speeds up higher!! As it passed the 1mph the tutorial move forward to the next task! So the SPEED IS THE PROBLEM!!
    … But now the train speed up to more then 1.0 ...eeekkk :o , … 3mph, … 5mph, … 10mph … it ran through the coal load station and all trailers stay empty :mad: , but then i noticed that the steering was no more blocked … :love: …. managed to slow down and stop the train, moved backwards and got the trailers filled now … "mission accomplished" … :cool:"oouufff"

crazy stuff

• Like Like x 1
  15. Dave Mel

Dave Mel Well-Known Member

ive not done this scenario for a good while. i was thinking was it a double header. if it was you need to switch the second engine off when going through the unloading section. there is a switch just under the the speed switch to turn the other engine off. When everything is unloaded/ loaded then you can switch the second engine back on

16. Slemcer

Slemcer Well-Known Member

I've done this training today and had the same problem. The objective to get the train up to speed wasn't triggered as done and it stayed this way until all the cars had been filled with coal.
    But I found a solution for this: When the target speed of 2 mph has been set, add another 0.4 mph before starting the slow speed mode. You can reduce this setting later when the objective has been met, even when the train is moving and without stopping the slow speed mode.