PC Length Of Tsw Routes. Consoles Vs Pc

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by jörgen Näslund, Jul 18, 2019.

1. jörgen Näslund

jörgen Näslund Well-Known Member

It's the consoles PlayStation 4 Xbox which determines how long a TSW route can be?.
    Sandpatch Grade 52 miles (84 km) It is too resource intensive for it to work on an Xbox or PS4.
    Main-Spessart Bahn is 32 miles (52 km) and this works in both
    Ruhr-Sieg Nord: Hagen - Finnentrop 38 miles (62 km) and this works in both
    Great Western Express 36 miles (58 km) and this works in both
    Northern Trans-Pennine: Manchester - Leeds 43 miles (69 km) and this works in both
    Long Island Rail Road 42 miles (67 km) and this works in both

I have a powerful PC but there is a great risk that I may not run any long routes in it, if its true.
    If they do a long route they can only sell it to user pc (Half of the users )

Am I wrong here. Is there a limit on 42 miles (67 km)

Last edited: Jul 19, 2019
  2. DTG Matt

DTG Matt Executive Producer Staff Member

No, consoles don't limit the length of routes, only the area around you is actually loaded in to ram anyway.

What limits the size of routes is the sheer amount of time they take to make :)

Matt.

• Like Like x 21
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  3. jörgen Näslund

Very thanks Matt. So happy I get. So the Sand patch route have to much things in area around the track (Memory) for consoles
    And of course it be so much more work to long routes compare to simpler simulators (graphics )

• Like Like x 2
  4. Matto140

Matto140 Well-Known Member

Route lenght is quiet relative term. To me, much more relevant is the travel time. That depends on speed you can reach and maintain. 30 miles of route with average speed at 25mph is the similar time consuming as 60 miles at 45mph.
    45 to 70 minutes is the best travel time value for route, I think

• Like Like x 1
  5. jörgen Näslund

They talking about multiplayer in the future. And then the route must be long i think to make it interesting.
    Minimum Freight routes is 100 km 62 miles my opinion, but longer is to prefer.
    Preferably single-tracked So there are train meetings between trains (and people who run them)
    with cooperation of dispatcher.
    Run8 routes with multiplayer is very long now. Los Angeles to Seligman 391 miles (630 km)

But nice to hear that there is no technical obstacle to making long routes.
    Just not to make to much scenery so the consoles not working

Last edited: Jul 19, 2019
  6. CoyoteMan

CoyoteMan Active Member

Correct me if I’m wrong but the issue with CSX:HH on console was the physics calculations over stressing the consoles due to the long train lengths correct? It might be the only route we have where switching the external camera to the back of a train requires a loading screen

7. DTG Matt

There are a number of issues specific to CSX Heavy Haul because it was the first route that was made and was indeed made while TSW itself was being made so there were a number of approaches taken on various things that we now know to be less than optimal for the console platform (how tree's were done, how they were created, how locos were structured in their art form, how materials were made etc etc) and fixing that stuff is non-trivial once you've got a finished product.

Physics for longer trains is certainly another more general issue, but even once that's resolved the route itself has some underlying implementation issues that make it less suitable for console.

Not to say it won't happen at some point, but, it's not on the cards any time soon. Personally it's still one of my favourite routes and i'd love to get it on console, we'll have to see how things unfold!

Matt.

• Like Like x 10
    • Helpful Helpful x 4
  8. Scorpion71

Scorpion71 Well-Known Member

I personally don't mind us getting the short routes, however!.... I would like to see these extended over time.

Take NTP, a lovely route and got even better thanks for the addition of the freight pack, now it would of been good if the route could of been extended to Leeds via Wakefield, we would of got Healey Mills. Hopefully in future, we see it extending to Lime St, York & Newcastle with a deltic and Mk2e's?

• Like Like x 2
  9. hightower

hightower Guest

Out of interest Matt, do routes in TSW take longer to construct than in TS1? Is it the creation of assets that takes the time, the actual route build itself, or both?

• Like Like x 1
  10. DTG Matt

Yes routes take quite a bit longer to create in TSW. The assets themselves have more detail to them - plus in TSW (well, UE4 really) there's the material setup to consider in addition to textures and the mesh. Placing the assets is done using tools that aren't that different to use compared to TS1 really, except there's more detail being added than was before. Once the art is down, all the platforms have "navigation mesh" added and customised to set up where passengers can walk - which was never done in TS1 because they could only walk on the fixed surface of the platform. Boundaries need to be added to control where player can go and to prevent the player getting stuck somewhere. Platforms also have their embark, disembark and passenger spawn curves set up, stopping boards are crucial to getting trains to stop in the right place too so they're now added. Must admit I can't remember the other steps but suffice o say there's a number of additional steps above and beyond the core route building steps also being more involved.

Matt.

• Like Like x 8
    • Helpful Helpful x 8
  11. hightower

hightower Guest

Very interesting. Thanks for giving us some more detail...pesky passengers eh?! :)

12. Doomotron

Doomotron Well-Known Member

They could make a post-apocalyptic route and not have to bother! :D

Trains Vs Zombies 2? That's been on the billboards in Railworks for years!

13. DTG Matt

and out, for almost as many years :)

• Like Like x 1
  14. Doomotron

Wait, Trains Vs Zombies 2 is an actual thing?

15. zane88

zane88 Active Member

Ha Ha , I was thinking the same thing lol

16. DTG Matt

Yes it isn't available anymore, but was basically a kind of "escape from new york" thing where the sky turned green and the rain started turning people to zombies. Very silly stuff :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  17. Doomotron

Now this is my sort of train simulator!