Manx Electric Network

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by THEEIWH, Jul 22, 2019.

1. THEEIWH

THEEIWH New Member

In my last post, I suggested that the Sacramento Northern route for TS be remastered. Today, I would like to propose a brand-new 'interurban' route which I feel would be both satisfying and diverse for players; the Isle of Man's electric tram system, including both the Manx Electric Railway, and the Snaefell Mountain Railway.

[​IMG]

The History
    Constructed in stages from 1893-1899, the Manx Electric Railway linked the Isle of Man's capital, Douglas, with Ramsey on the Northeastern side of the island. The Railway changed ownership several times before Nationalization in 1957, and the line is still owned by the Manx Government.
    In 2008, the line north of Laxey was closed due to severe deterioration of the track and other infrastructure, with urgent repairs keeping the section closed until the start of the 2009 season, when the line was reopened.

[​IMG]

The Snaefell Mountain Railway was surveyed in the 1880s, but construction did not start until 1895, with the line opening in September. The line operated as an independent company for a little over 3 months, and the line was sold to the Manx Electric in December 1895, under whose ownership the line remained until Nationalization.

The Route
    Both lines, the MER and the SMR combined make a total of 22.5 miles or so of track, which is well within TSW's capabilities. The MER would extend from its Southern terminus at Derby Caste, Douglas, via Groudle Glen and Laxey (junction with the SMR) to Ramsey. The SMR would start from Laxey Station, and climb through Bungalow Halt to Snaefell Summit.

[​IMG]

Route Features
    This route has many unique features which would make it interesting to operate in TSW. First, and perhaps most obvious, is the use of trolley poles on the MER. These have to be turned 180* every time a car changes direction, an operation which would be nice to see implemented.
    The SMR also has some interesting inclusions. The line uses a Fell rack-rail brake system to stop descending cars. The SMR also operates to a 3" 6' gauge, wider than the MER which is 3" gauge, preventing cars from being interchanged.

The Trains
    The MER has a wide variety of tramcars in preservation, however, for ease of creation, I propose the line's 4 Winter Saloons (Nos. 19-22) be used. Also, 'Tunnel' Cars No. 5-7,9 would add some diversity to the route.

[​IMG]

To complement these trams, it would be nice for some of the MER's Toastrack Trailers to be included, in this case Nos. 40-44).
    For the SMR, there is only one type of car in service, Nos. 1+2,4-6, to the same design and operating the line since it opened.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 10
  2. JJTimothy

JJTimothy Well-Known Member

It would be quite possible to model all of the Isle of Man's railways in one route- although getting the horse trams to work authentically might be tricky.

• Like Like x 1
  3. THEEIWH

THEEIWH New Member

Very true, but I figured as steam probably isn't gonna be in TSW for a while, the IoM Steam line wouldn't have much use (unless the diesels and railcars would be used exclusively). Also, I agree with the horse tram, but perhaps a bit of modeller's license could be used, and the Promenade line electrified? I remember reading of a rumour about it somewhere...

• Like Like x 1
  4. cooltoyn

cooltoyn Member

This a great idea for a route if you do the snaefell mountain railway as well I take you you be able to make the fell rail which is in the centre of the track.

• Like Like x 1
  5. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Upvote from me!

• Like Like x 1
  6. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

Yep, upvoting this one. Looks quite different from the usual stuff we already have in game. Would be a very welcome addition.

7. Wolfovizer

Wolfovizer Well-Known Member

Sounds interesting, a very good suggestion.