Locomotive Proposal: Santa Fe 4-8-4 #3751 Steam Locomotive

Discussion in 'Loco Suggestions & Proposals' started by GP40Man5528, Jan 23, 2018.

?
  1. YES!

21 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. nah

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. GP40Man5528

GP40Man5528 Active Member

[​IMG]
    ATSF 3751 Storms through Oceanside, CA making a run to San Diego in 2008

HISTORY

Atchison Topeka and Santa Fe Railroad's 4-8-4 number 3751 is one of two surviving 4-8-4s of the 3751 class of locomotives. In fact, the 3751 was the first locomotive built for the class. The railroad bought the locomotive new from the Baldwin Locomotive Works in 1927 and was a dual service locomotive throughout most of the Santa Fe system. In the 1930s and 1940s, the 3751 and it's 13 other sisters received many improvements. The conversion from coal to oil, 73 inch drivers to 80 inch drivers, a larger firebox, roller bearings, and many more improvements like these made the 3751 and her sisters powerful workhorses. But unfortunately, progress caught up to the 3751. After diesel technology began to take over passenger service, the 3751 was used less and less. Then in 1953, the locomotive pulled the last regularly scheduled passenger service from Los Angeles to San Diego, CA in 1953. After that, the 3751 was stored at Redondo Junction, CA until being pulled from the Santa Fe roster in 1957. But fortunately, the locomotive was spared in placed in a park in San Bernardino, CA. There it sat for many years in the outdoors. Immune to vandals and mother nature.

Fast forward to 1981 and the 3751s future looked very bright. A new group was formed known as the San Bernardino Railroad Historical Society. The group was formed with the intention of restoring and operating the 3751. After four years, the group was surprisingly able to purchase the locomotive from the city for $1.00! Once purchased, the locomotive was moved to it's restoration site where the volunteers lovingly restored the locomotive to an operational state. About 5 years later in 1991, the 3751 was finished, and the locomotive moved under it''s own power for the first time in 38 years. It's first ever excursion saw the 3751 storming to Bakersfield, CA with a 16 car passenger train. 1992 saw the locomotive taking an Employee Special for the Santa Fe. The 3751 trekked over 2,000 miles to Chicago, IL and back. After these trips, the locomotive was not seen for a few years until 1999 when it pulled an excursion to railfair at the California State Railroad Museum in Sacramento, CA. Ever since then, The 3751 has been the star locomotive of many other special occasions. Such as a visit to the Grand Canyon Railway in 2002 and 2012, an AAPRCO private car special in 2008, San Bernardino Railroad Days, and many more trips.
    [​IMG]
    With the Cylinder Cocks wide open, the 3751 begins to depart LA Union Station bound for San Bernardino in 2014.

Train Simulator Rendition
    The real 3751 has used two different whistles in it's excursion life. In it's early excursion career, it owned an ATSF 5 Chime whistle. Nowadays, the locomotive wears a ATSF 6 Chime whistle. So if interchangeable whistles was doable, that would be neat. And as mentioned, the locomotive is oil fired. Meaning it uses an oil regulator to pump oil into the firebox. The locomotive also has been equipped with a few modern pieces of technology. Such as a H-O-T device (Head-of-Train device) and a some radio units for communication. Dynamic numbering would also be welcomed. In it's life, the locomotive has made trips across the Pacific Surfliner. Which makes this locomotive perfect for operating on the Surfliner route. The 3751 has also passed through Cajon Pass several times, so it would be suitable to run on Cajon Pass as well.

[​IMG]
    The 3751 charges through Belva, KS with the ATSF Employee Special in 1992.

PROPOSED ROLLING STOCK

The 3751 has used many types of passenger cars throughout it's career. But here is the rolling stock I would like to see included.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The 3751 pulled excursions from Los Angeles to San Diego in the years 2008 and 2010 on the Pacific Surfliner. And I believe these would be the best excursions to simulate. During these excursions, the locomotive was given extra power with a P42DC Locomotive. Which, of course, is already in the game. The 3751 also pulled some Amtrak "Amfleet" and "Horizon" cars. There were also some private cars on the scene. Including the highly popular California Zephyr dome cars "Silver Solarium", "Silver Lariat", and "Silver Splendor", Canadian Pacific Private car "Pony Express", and a Rio Grande Scenic dome car.

[​IMG]
    Locomotive 3751 sits at San Diego, CA.

FINAL CONCLUSION
    This engine would be an amazing secondary DLC for someone who would want to operate something completely different on the Surfliner and/or Cajon Pass as the 3751 is one of the most popular excursion locomotives of the 21st century. It is big, it is powerful, and it has received lot's of attention in it's career. The SBRHS continues to find reasons to bring the locomotive out and run it. It is a fine example of one of the most popular fallen flags in the United States and it is a fine example of the popular 4-8-4 design. Which is why the Santa Fe 4-8-4 #3751 would be a perfect fit for Train Simulator.

Go to: http://www.sbrhs.org/ to give a donation or get a membership to help out the 3751.
    Note: the 3751 is currently being torn down for it's 15 year boiler inspection, so any donation towards that would greatly appreciated by the SBRHS.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2018
    • Like Like x 11
  2. Latios Gaming

Latios Gaming New Member

I don't think 3751 ever pulled Amfleet II coaches. It did however pull Amfleet I coaches. Horizons are in development, and the California Zephyr private cars there shouldn't be hard for somebody to do. All that would be required for the California Zephyr cars* is fixing the nameplates on the corresponding car types from the DTG California Zephyr to allow CB&Q and PRR, adding 480 volt HEP cables possibly through the use of child objects, adding marker lights, and then making the trucks look better. If the Silver Solarium and Silver Lariat get done, it would be nice to also have the Silver Rapids done, which is partially pictured in your post. It is a former Pennsylvania Railroad California Zephyr 10-6 sleeper that ran in through service from San Francisco to New York via a connection with the Broadway Limited. *Silver Splendor would take a lot of work because it is a unique car, having been rebuilt from a Dome Chair to a Dome-Diner-Lounge by the current owners. It also is not lettered for the California Zephyr, nor does it have California Zephyr railroad nameplates. Instead, the car is lettered for Burlington in all caps on the big nameplate and Silver Splendor in all caps on the smaller nameplate. Additionally, the car has been decaled with its reporting mark and number on the end of the car that isn't the vestibule as RPCX4735.

Pony Express would be very interesting to see, as would the Rio Grande Scenic Full Dome. Perhaps the Full Dome could be created from the RSC Empire Builder Full Dome, adding marker lights and fluting.

Now as for Santa Fe 3751, perhaps a complement to your idea would be 3751 and her sisters as you mentioned, but with correct in-service versions lacking the modern improvements. I would also say that accurate Santa Fe cars appropriate for the San Diegan would be very welcomed. However, if this gets considered, I would prefer Smokebox do it. He knows oil-firing, and more importantly, how to make a steam locomotive a masterpiece. He also knows how to make the H.O.T.D. work, as one was included with the Union Pacific FEF-3, nicknamed "WILMA". I'm not knocking DTG, it's just that Smokebox has been known to do much better with steam locomotives.

I support this fully. Scenarios for the Pacific Surfliner are a great idea, as there are quite a few options available to get a player used to the locomotive. Since 3751 is stored at the roundhouse in Los Angeles, a player could very easily re-create the positioning moves from the roundhouse in Los Angeles to the Los Angeles platforms, simulating when it was displayed at National Train Day. Other scenarios include running from Los Angeles to Fullerton's storage tracks, simulating Fullerton Railroad Days, usually having a BNSF GEVO tag along. Having seen 3751 depart San Bernadino in person, this would be an instant-buy for me.

If this does get made, perhaps I could convince the developer of the Pacific Surfliner upgrade (San Diego-Los Angeles-Glendale) to make scenarios.

• Like Like x 2
  3. EthanTrainzProductions

EthanTrainzProductions New Member

I think this would be a good add on for the game.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Trainman42

Trainman42 New Member

I remember seeing 3751 down on the Surfline around 2008, which surprised me since I had never seen a steam locomotive, let alone one that is running wild and free in the world. Seeing her in TS has always been a dream, and I hope that she gets completed for it.

• Like Like x 1
  5. jedi247

jedi247 Well-Known Member

I definitely would like to see this engine. I have the Cajon Pass Route, and this would be the perfect steam loco for the route. The DLC could be set between the 1940s and the 1960s or in the present day. The vintage DLC could include freight cars, passenger cars, and an ATSF caboose. The modern DLC needs an excursion passenger consist and maybe a BNSF ES44AC. Also, the interchangeable smoke stacks could be a cool idea. I've seen pics of ATSF 4-8-4s with them. Lionel Trains made their #3751 model with the interchangeable stacks included.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Joeman143

Joeman143 Member

More North American steam locos and routes!!!

• Like Like x 1
  7. NSMotherSlug#881

NSMotherSlug#881 Active Member

I'd just stop asking DTG they never answer back and there known for Not Listening To There Fans us players.

8. Buynot

Buynot Well-Known Member

Even if DTG doesn't make this, a third party developer could still see the post. DTG in most cases is just the publisher with the real developer being someone like G-Trax or Smokebox. Plus, even if it were just DTG, they would have a reason not to make it. Any ATSF items are hard for them because of BNSF's licensing restrictions on them.