The Blackpool Lines

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Railfan722, Jul 24, 2019.

1. Railfan722

Railfan722 Well-Known Member

The Blackpool Branch Lines are a set of two railway lines from Preston to Blackpool in the north of England, diverging at Kirkham and Wesham for Blackpool North and Blackpool south. This proposal covers both lines as they would have appeared in 2015.
    The Route
    As far as routes go, this one is pretty short, making it a prime candidate for TSW. The line runs around 8 miles from Preston to Kirkham and Wesham, where the lines for Blackpool North and Blackpool South diverge. The Blackpool South branch is single track with no passing loops and is around 12 miles long. It typically sees 18 trains per day, all operated by Northern. The Blackpool North line is the main one, running for 7 miles and has around 40 trains per day, operated both by Northern and Virgin Trains. In total, the route is 27 miles.
    [​IMG]

Route Rides

Passenger view Preston-Blackpool South post-modernisation works

Front view Preston-Blackpool North post-modernisation works

As mentioned, the route ideally would be set in 2015 or at least somewhere around there. Prior to the 2017 electrification work, the route featured many examples of classic semaphores and signal boxes, a sight rapidly disappearing from the UK rail network. 2015 would also be good for the rolling stock (more on that later).
    Important Locations
    Preston
    [​IMG]
    Preston station is a major junction station, with services via the WCML to Glasgow, Manchester, Birmingham and London. It also serves as the terminus for the Blackpool Lines, the East Lancashire Line to Colne, and the Ormskirk Branch to Ormskirk, where there is a junction for Merseyrail.
    Kirkham and Wesham
    [​IMG]
    Kirkham and Wesham is a major junction for the Blackpool Branches. The lines to Blackpool North and Blackpool South just west of the station.
    Poulton-le-Fylde
    [​IMG]
    Poulton-le-Fylde is one of two stations on the northern branch. Both Virgin and Northern stop here. Immediately west of the station, the line splits for a junction to until 1970, Fleetwood, and until 1999 the ICI Chemicals plant at Burn Naze. As part of the electrification work, this junction was lifted. Plans are being discussed currently to re-implement the line, possibly with trams.
    Blackpool North
    [​IMG]
    Blackpool North is the terminus of the northern branch and is the larger of Blackpool's two stations with 6 platforms. The famous Blackpool Tower can be seen from the station.
    Blackpool Pleasure Beach
    [​IMG]
    Blackpool Pleasure Beach station sits immediately adjacent to the eponymous amusement park. The station was built in 1987 to service the park, and Blackpool Airport is sited around 2 miles south, better served by Squires Lane station
    Blackpool South
    [​IMG]
    Blackpool South is all that remains after the town council successfully lobbied British Rail to close the next station up the line, Blackpool Central, in 1964. Blackpool Central was the largest station to ever be closed under BR - in 1964, it had the same number of platforms as Paddington, 14. Dr. Beeching's report suggested that Blackpool North be closed instead. The direct line from Kirkham that bypassed the southern portion of the route was closed at this time as well. Blackpool South was reduced from two to one platform in 1984, and the station building was demolished in 1985.

Rolling Stock
    Class 142 "Pacer"
    [​IMG]
    Anyone who's from the UK has almost certainly heard of these, and they require little explanation. Built as a 'temporary' measure from 1985 to 1987 to provide a cheaper vehicle to operate, 96 2-car units were built for British Rail. The Pacer family is essentially a 1980s Leyland National bus body slapped onto the frame of BR's experimental High Speed Freight Vehicle. Unlike every other DMU class currently operating in the UK, the Pacers have no bogies - each car has two axles.This complete lack of suspension has led to the nickname of "Nodding Donkey" because of the distinctive ride on uneven track.
    Class 221 "Super Voyager"
    [​IMG]
    44 4 and 5 car sets were built by Bombardier in 2001/02. Currently, Virgin Trains and CrossCountry operate them. They differ from the very similar class 220 in that they can tilt around curves, allowing for a higher top speed on routes such as the West Coast Main Line. Prior to the electrification work in 2017, Virgin only operated these to Blackpool.
    Class 150 "Sprinter"
    [​IMG]
    Class 150/2 - note gangway doors on the ends
    [​IMG]
    Class 150/1 - note plated-over gangway doors and revised LED headlights.
    This would be more of a 'nice to have' than the other two units listed above. 137 were built from 1984 to 1987, with a second batch starting from 1986 having end gangway doors and being classified Class 150/2. For this route, either variant would be fine, although having both in a DLC would be nice as well.

Author's note - until 1999, the route had freight traffic, as there was an ICI chemicals plant in Burn Naze. When the plant closed, the traffic went with it, and the main line junction was lifted in 2017.

Final Thoughts
    This route has only opportunities for passenger, but I still think it would be a good route simply for the diversity of traffic it provides. You have express passenger with Virgin, and both busy commuter and sedate branch line on the Northern side. To prevent the route from becoming a one-trick pony, though, there is a possible 'extension' of sorts that could be done to the route...

The Blackpool Tramway
    Originally built in 1885, the Blackpool Tramway is Britain's oldest and only 'first generation' tramway. They are one of the only tram systems in the world to use double-deck trams as well. The line runs 11 miles along the coastal portion of Blackpool from Fleetwood Ferry to Starr Gate, where there is a short walk to Squires Gate railway station. There are turnback loops in the middle at Pleasure Beach (north) and Little Bispham (south). Today, two kinds of tram run along the line:
    Bombardier Flexity 2
    [​IMG]
    18 of these entered service in 2012 to meet
    accessibility requirements. They are of a low floor design, and make up the bulk of the tramway's day-to-day operations.
    English Electric Balloon Tram
    [​IMG]
    Built in 1934, 9 of these were refurbished to meet
    accessibility standards while the Flexitys (not sure what the plural would be) were being introduced. This refurbishment also included the fitting of lots of high-tech equipment, such as a speedometer for the first time.

The tramway also operates a large collection of heritage trams, which could
    conceivably be included as a small pack. The most famous of the collection is probably the 'boat' trams, which have had the widest reach - in the 80s, one was sent to San Francisco for a trolley festival while the cable car system was down for repair.
    [​IMG]

All in all, the main heavy rail route would be quite enough route, I think, but the addition of such an iconic part of Blackpool would certainly up the replay value. What do you think? Is there anything else you'd like to see? This proposal will likely be updated as time goes on with your suggestions.

• Like Like x 16
  2. TinTin_57

TinTin_57 Well-Known Member

As a native of Preston you’ve no arguments from me. This would be a great route though for all

• Like Like x 2
  3. Dave Mel

Dave Mel Well-Known Member

ive spent many a happy day and night in Blackpool. i'd love to see this route and trams again also pacers. we need pacers

• Like Like x 1
  4. MadEdders

MadEdders Active Member

I've thought about the Blackpool lines I think they will make an excellent addition for the variety alone. Although I would personally change the time period when the route to the North Station went electric so you have the choice of a 319 and a 390 too, but that's just me.

Plus I'd love to see the Pleasure Beach recreated as well :P

• Like Like x 2
  5. Railfan722

Railfan722 Well-Known Member

It was a bit of a 50/50 toss up when I first wrote the proposal for which version of the route should be done. I ended up going with the older one on the basis that a lot of cool features of the line such as semaphores and signal boxes were removed with the electrification works. Would love to see a 390 in game, though.

• Like Like x 1
  6. TicoXotaR

TicoXotaR New Member

No argument from me, I'd travel on this route in a 150 anyday

7. Northerner

Northerner Well-Known Member

I agree that this line would be great to see. I personally would like to see it post electrification of the Blackpool North Line. It'd be nice to see both North and South branches and possibly the line to Liverpool Lime Street which would bring the total route length to around 63 miles and would include running along part of the West Coast Mainline. Blackpool North to Lime Street services are operated by the relatively new class 331 EMUs and 319s operating Blackpool to Manchester Airport services as well as class 150 DMUs to Blackpool South. You could also be able to drive the class 390 pendolinos between Blackpool North and Wigan which run a few times a day to Euston and run regularly between Wigan and Preston on the WCML.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2020
  8. dasmith1

dasmith1 Active Member

The Class 195 would be good Loco Add-on.

9. TSWx

TSWx Active Member

Nice suggestion, the countryside is looking a bit nostalgic or old, but why not? Nice rolling stock btw.