Do Dtg Apologise When Things Go Wrong?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Jez, Jul 31, 2019.

1. Jez

Jez Well-Known Member

After just posting another problem whilst trying to run a service, I was wondering if anyone has actually got an apology from DTG regarding any sub-standard aspect of their product? I've seen "We're looking into it" but can't really say I've ever seen an apology. Might be a good habit to start I think or it would be good to see more of if it does happen at all. Customer service and all that.

2. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

In the first place, are you completely sure that your problems are the fault of DTG rather than being due to something that you have done? Secondly, to what supposedly "sub-standard" aspects of TSW are you referring? Your post strikes me as far too vague to be of much value.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Jez

Jez Well-Known Member

Any sub-standard aspects, obviously! From my perspective, yeah, I'm 100% sure the poor performance of the Class 47 on consoles is nothing to do with me. As are the signalling problems I've encountered and reported. I'm sure others have other examples too. How about just answering a simple question rather than deflecting by asking more questions? It ain't rocket science. You never know, you might end up providing some value yourself?

• Like Like x 2
  4. WiSchmo

WiSchmo Active Member

This goes both ways, though, doesn't it? I'm not specifically referring to you, Jez, but the way some complaints are voiced in this forum, I would expect an apology, if I were DTG. Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining about valid criticism, but about the wording/tone of quite a lot of posts.

I think both sides don't cover themselves in glory occasionally...

Last edited: Aug 6, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  5. Jez

Jez Well-Known Member

I agree with you, but that's another thread I guess. My perception (willing to have it changed) is that apologies are not given easily by DTG. Almost like it's the hardest word!

I compare this to a telephone apology I received last week from the supermarket I use for online grocery deliveries. They'd had a problem with their chilled cabinets and 75% of my order couldn't be delivered. They even called me before my delivery slot, so I was forewarned. Fair enough I thought. S**t happens.

Report a problem here and you are lucky to even get an acknowledgement from DTG, let alone an apology.

Of course, it's possible that DTG are fully aware of their shortcomings in the customer care arena and are working on it right now.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  6. WiSchmo

WiSchmo Active Member

I really hope that this is the case!
    Product-wise, we have seen that with new updates or routes, some (unfortunately not all) of the bugs are addressed and that the quality of TSW is steadily increasing. I would be happier if that would happen at a faster rate, but I'm glad that it does, nonetheless. This ties into the problem of voicing criticism constructively, though, that I mentioned in my previous post. If DTG were to feel that there product is mostly hated by the community, why take the effort to improve it? Fortunately, I do not think that this is the case, as the mostly positive feedback on the new features in TSW2020 and the new US route show, for example.

Concerning apologies, I have not had any contact with DTGs support department, so I cannot comment on whether they might apologize via email for a shortcoming that was proven to be their fault. But publicly apologizing on the forums? I don't think that will happen, even if it's just from a marketing standpoint. Imagining your supermarket not calling you personally, but doing it in public, like a Facebook post or something of the sort.

7. Jez

Jez Well-Known Member

If the problem was raised on a public forum, I'd have no problem with an apology on a public forum.

Taking the effort to improve the product or service would likely have a positive financial reward. Failure to do so would have a negative financial impact. DTG don't want a reputation for poor products and poor customer service. What company does?

As for TSW2020, it does look positive but it remains to be seen how it plays.

• Like Like x 1
  8. WiSchmo

WiSchmo Active Member

Agreed :D

Well, let's just hope then, that with the game update on August 15th we see a corresponding change in their mindset towards customer feedback. What I would really like is just a more open communication. Doesn't have to be an apology, but silence is never a good answer...

• Like Like x 1
  9. Jez

Jez Well-Known Member

From my experience customers are pretty tolerant and reasonable if you acknowledge their issue, keep them informed and give them confidence that the problem will be sorted out promptly. Ultimately, customers want it sorted rather than apology, but an apology does buy you some time and goodwill.

• Like Like x 1