Capitol Corridor

Discussion in 'Route Suggestions & Proposals' started by jack.kuiper.18, Jul 30, 2019.

1. jack.kuiper.18

jack.kuiper.18 Active Member

The Amtrak Capitol Corridor route in northern california. It would make a good pair with the Peninsula Corridor Route, as they both originate in San Jose. This route is approximately 180 miles long, beginning at San Jose Diridon, and ending in Auburn, CA. Major intermediate stops include Jack London Square in Oakland, Martinez, and Sacramento. Lots of good industries for career scenarios and lots of stations. The trains themselves are similar to the Pacific Surfliner, the only difference is the cab car where the horn is on the roof, not in between the ditch lights. The line itself for the commuter trains run on important Union Pacific trackage, as the Port of Oakland is in the middle. There are, of course, intermediate yards, with one in Martinez (Ozol Yard), South Oakland, Milpitas, and Santa Clara (Newhall Yard). In addition to the intercity Capitol Corridor trains, the Amtrak San Joaquin’s operate from Oakland Jack London Square to Bakersfield, diverging just east of Martinez. The California Zephyr terminates at Emeryville, part of the route, north of Jack London Square. The Coast Starlight operates between Los Angeles and Seattle, and pass through this region. For this route, the Coast Starlight would begin at San Jose and diverge east of Sacramento. In between the Santa Clara/Great America station and the Coliseum/Airport station, there are two separate tracks. The one to the west is for the Coast Starlight and through freight traffic only, while the east line is for everything else. There is also the Warm Springs Subdivision, which begins at Niles Junction and ends in a wye next to CEMOF. There is a yard in Milpitas on the Warm Springs sub. The subdivisions covered in this route are Roseville (Sacramento and east), Martinez, which is from Sacramento to 10th Street (in between Jack London Square and Emeryville, right in the middle of the port, the Niles Subdivision (10th Street to Newark Junction), and Coast (begins at the north end of the west line and ends south of San Jose). Station stops along this line would include San Jose on the southernmost end, Santa Clara, Santa Clara/Great America, Fremont,
    Hayward, Coliseum/Airport, Oakland-Jack London, Emeryville, Berkeley, Richmond, Martinez, Suisun-Fairfield, Fairfield-Vacaville, Davis, Sacramento, Roseville, Rocklin, and finally Auburn at the north end. Rolling stock I think should be included is an assortment of freight cars, most importantly auto-racks, double-stacks, grain hoppers, boxcars, oil tanks, and rock gondolas. Passenger equipment should include an F59PHI, SC-44 Charger, Bi-Level Alstom California cars (coach, business, cafe, and cab car), a converted NPCU F40PH (for San Joaquins) and finally single level “California Comets” for San Joaquin services in coach and cafe styles. It would also be nice to see an ex-Southern Pacifc GP38-2 for local freight operations. Long haul freight last through this route would be the Sherman Hill ES44AC/C45ACCTE. Trivial things I would like to see are horns that can quill, like the Pacific Surfliner F59PHI, the cab car horn on the roof, not between the ditch lights. Lastly, I DO NOT want to see the tracks used on Soldier Summit, Peninsula Corrdidor, the NS N-Line, etc. I like the Alaska track and Stevens Pass track.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  2. jedi247

jedi247 Well-Known Member

I'd like a UP Genset switcher and ET44AC. We could get Genesis P42DCs as well as the F59PHIs and SC-44 Chargers.

3. Night_wolf98

Night_wolf98 Member

I’ve always wanted the capital Corridor to be with the Caltrain

4. Average_Joe57

Average_Joe57 Active Member

I have put up a thread for this before though not surprisingly, nothing happened. However, the more requests we put in, we could get somewhere! Alstom's Surfliner coach, cafe, and cab-cars should also be included because Caltrans owns some that are used on the Capitol Corridor and San Joaquins.