PlayStation Back Again For A Check Up

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by StarTr3k1701, Aug 2, 2019.

1. StarTr3k1701

StarTr3k1701 Member

So...any reason to re-install the game or have Dovetail just been throwing out DlC after DLC as usual. I know a lot of you are very defensive but between the lack of Steam locomotives and better optimisation 1 year later I can understand why this game is struggling.

2. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Lack of steam isn't an issue for me, but you're right about optimisation.

3. underwaterdick

underwaterdick Active Member

Only.you can answer that question!

Seeing as there are MANY happy users of the game, I would say YES, it is worth it.
    And they have put out DLC after DLC, each one having many improvements over the last. Some optimisation of other routes has taken place, but mainly bux fixes and physics tweaks.

No-one said there would be Steam, no-one has promised it, and the game doesn't advertise steam as being part of it... So no issue for many there.

If you want steam and only steam, it certainly isn't the game for you!

4. Big Papi34

Big Papi34 Well-Known Member

Most of what you say is true other than the steam part. DTG are supposed to try to get it to work though as you said no promises.

5. TinTin_57

TinTin_57 Well-Known Member

Steam will come according to Matt once they work it out. I am probably the only person on the forum actually not bothered about steam but I can see the appeal

• Like Like x 3
  6. ARuscoe

Nope, totally unbothered by steam here too... Don't think I've ever done a proper run in TSx in a steam loco...
    From what I've heard it's a case of it being a much more complex control system than diesel or electric and getting that working on a standard control system is the hard part, ie the user interface has to be good enough to give a "steam experience" whilst not being overly complex for a standard user.

7. Dave Mel

Dave Mel Well-Known Member

im not too bothered about steam as i like mainly BR blue diesels or infact any diesels. i would like to see a steam engine on WSR as they do run on there as it is a heritage railway

• Like Like x 1
  8. underwaterdick

underwaterdick Active Member

Yes, steam does not appeal to me because of the complexity.
    No matter the control scheme they come up with, I can see many people complaining that it is too complicated, and many enthusiasts complaining that it isn't realistic enough.
    Seems to be a constant issue with people's opinions on this game.

Too realistic for some, and not realistic enough for others.

9. DB628

DB628 Well-Known Member

What is Steam?

You Guys talked about Dampflokomotiven?

10. ARuscoe

Sorry, yes we're talking about steam trains (not the computer game service)

11. DB628

DB628 Well-Known Member

upload_2019-8-6_11-22-18.jpeg

I know this only under Dampflokomotive because this is the German name for it.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Jez

Jez Well-Known Member

Surely some of the controls complexities could be optionally automated for steam traction to satisfy the spectrum of potential users? Cut-off settings and looking after the firebox for example.

13. -PjM-

-PjM- Well-Known Member

Not sure it's struggling StarTr3k1701 there seems to be quite a following. There's not really a reason to uninstall it (unless you're short of space) just leave it on to update itself then pop back to it now and then to see if you think it's improved.

I hope so. It's generally it's a two man crew that operates them so I'd have thought there'd be an auto fireman at least. Though his/her animations would need to be a few steps beyond the current "drivers".

That's one good looking big black and red loco. Makes me want steam in the game, and I wasn't fussed before. :)

14. BROCK

BROCK Active Member

I'm not a steam locomotive fan either, can't imagine if they put a UP Big Boy in the game.

15. Big Papi34

That is one bad ass steam engine.

16. DB628

DB628 Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1
  17. Gilly

Gilly Well-Known Member

Monster! And why not Big Boy too over Cheyenne! We can all dream!
    Steam engines, whilst I have to admit is appealing (my first 'sim' was Southern Belle on the good old zx spectrum) and yes A4's, Coronation's would be a pipe dream (if you do though Matt please do the Settle to Carlisle!!) ultimately I can happily live without.
    I've got to admit I'm still happy just listening to the Class 40 thrash over the Pennines. Personally, I'd like to see perhaps named Class 45's and 47's (North Star does on WSR) make the odd appearance just as back then a named loco was a special thing, especially the Peaks(45's). Make them rewards for achivements (D200/40122 in BR green anyone) or as rewards in the community challenges, even make them dlc skins and have the odd £5 that gets left in my PS transaction money (I'm sure my overseas brethren have similar livery/locos too). In an ideal world I'd personally like some Lonsight 40's but that's only from spending a great deal of my early years down there scrabbling round the perimeter or on very rare occasion getting on shed. 40009, BR's last vacuum only braked loco would be the puppies croutons, throw us in the Deltics (they did do York to Liverpool runs in there later years) and I'll happily go quietly back under my stone and never bother anyone ever again but then I'm being 10 again!!
    Debate and suggestions, however crazy are all healthy and often they lead to surprises all of the community can embrace. Focusing on the negative aspects of the game only suggests you don't enjoy the game full stop and as such don't play it.
    Personally, I think the past twelve months have been a great success for the game on PS4. I've bought plenty of DLC, admittedly all UK for the most part but still, there's been plenty of it. Yes there's been and still are issues but show me a game that hasn't, even the blockbuster games suffer from them. Sadly, the nature of the beast suggests that sometime, somewhere it's liable to crash, bug, glitch but to their credit they have made steps forward however small.
    Ultimately only you can decide what the game is for you, for me it's that ability to play something relaxing (damn that's a red and I've only just realised..), relive and be nostalgic about my boyhood days but now having control, the ultimate train set. I'll jump in when I don't feel like the 'on it all the time' games I play. I've had my moneys worth in enjoyment factor and have been happy pay for DLC ( the 33 and 52 are bargins considering I've paid £50 for virtual tanks and ships before and still do.. Damn you Scharnhorst!). And I'll accept that the majority has been aimed at me so I'm perfect target market per se but a year on they're still working and evolving the game so fair play to them and I'm looking forward to the next 12 months.

• Like Like x 2
  18. ex_railwayman

ex_railwayman Active Member

It's OK folks asking about steam locomotives, however, this game is now aimed at Console players, and I bet that very few of them have ever seen a Steam locomotive, my nephew is 21 and has never stood next to one in full steam in real life, so, getting DTG to mass market a Steam loco is not on the cards at present, and which one would they create, anyway, American, German, or, British, they are all different......

19. Big Papi34

I've stood next to quite a few steam engines. Southern Railroad 2-8-2 Baldwin 4501, Southern Railroad 2-8-0 630, Norfolk and Western class j 611. As well as a ex US army S118 class. And Train Sim World is not aimed at console players regardless of what you think.

• Like Like x 1
  20. TinTin_57

TinTin_57 Well-Known Member

I think you are generalising that all console players are kids. That is certainly not the case.

I also knew 0 about German and American railways but I bought the DLCS

• Like Like x 2
  21. Jez

Jez Well-Known Member

I'm a 48 year old console player and I've seen and been hauled by quite a few steam locomotives in full steam both on the main line and on preserved lines. I'd certainly be interested to have steam DLC with Bullieds, Maunsells, Staniers, Ivatts, Fowlers, Gresleys, Goochs, Churchwards, Peppercorns, Thompsons etc.

22. DB628

DB628 Well-Known Member

C40FAD7D-2881-451B-ADB6-817EE646E950.jpeg I only want see a German Loco from it, because I know it real from the museum visited as child, hope they bring a German Museum Bahn like West Somerset Railway together with the Uerdinger Schienenbus

23. hyperlord

hyperlord Well-Known Member

Honestly I hope not. WSR is ardous IMHO - not going faster than a traktor is something I'm not in the mood for every day ;-)

But I got your point

24. Poppa

Poppa Member

I'll echo what many have said here. I'd really enjoy running steam on these routes if it was "dumbed" down enough that I could do it. I believe the time it would take me to learn all of the details for true operation would prevent me from enjoying it. No problem for me if the developers had 2 modes, one for me where I only have to operate throttle and brakes and one for the folks that want to touch every knob and switch.