PlayStation Buying Decision - Purchase Now Or Wait For Tsw2020

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by DogGhost, Aug 11, 2019.

1. DogGhost

DogGhost New Member

Hello,
    I'm new here and I'd like to ask for some help with buying decision. I'm wondering whether it is worth to buy TSW now or wait for August 15. Right now TSW price is because of PS4 summer promo about 20 euro. I also have one time coupon -25% for one purchase. Does anyone have idea what will happen on August 15? They will remove TSW from store and switch it for TSW2020? Will the price stay the same until the end of summer sale period? I'd like to have routes from new TSW so if I'll buy it now I'm probably going to buy upgrade after release (so then it would be without that additional promo code).

2. TheCadManFan

TheCadManFan Well-Known Member

I would suggest holding off for a few days. Maybe even wait for gameplay (once the update happens, I don't think there's a way to switch back). If you start playing it now, just as you are getting used to the game, you'll have to re-adjust to the update.

• Like Like x 1
  3. -PjM-

-PjM- Well-Known Member

Hmm, a dilemma.

I wouldn't think that TSW2020 will be at a sale price when released. It'll most likely be at full price - unless there's a PSN discount. But you could wait for its release and use your 25% off and get the deluxe version at a reduced cost - which maybe near the current sale price. This way you'd get 5 routes.
    The "missing" routes from the original might be sold at a reduced price so they could be purchased later, if you wanted them
    (I think the original TSW will probably be removed from the store.)

Or since the current version will be upgraded to 2020 for free you could buy it now while it's on sale and then get the extra routes that come with 2020 at the reduced prices that have been mentioned. Then perhaps use the 25% code to get the new California route which won't be at a reduced price. This way you'd get 7 routes.

I'm not sure which would be the cheapest - mainly because the prices haven't been mentioned yet. Or indeed tell you which way to opt for since it's not my money to spend. ;)

Maybe others might have different suggestions.

• Like Like x 1
  4. idiosis

idiosis Member

From a route perspective if you by the current edition you're really only getting 2 routes out of 3 that work properly - North East Corridor signalling has been broken for over a year now and still needs addressing. However if you're not bothered about using the safety systems on that route then no big deal.

Personally I would wait until the new version hits the store as you'll get a better selection of routes out the box compared to the current version, although it'll cost a bit more.

5. DogGhost

DogGhost New Member

Thanks for help and for info about broken signalling. I was also considering waiting for that stream on 13th or 14th and then they maybe tell all the pricing info and there will be couple hours before release to make a decision whether to buy old version or not. :)

6. -PjM-

-PjM- Well-Known Member

A good idea. It maybe sway you one way or the other.

• Like Like x 2
  7. WiSchmo

WiSchmo Active Member

I agree with the previous answers, it really depends on how many routes you want. Waiting for info from the stream sounds like a good idea!

Just in case you want to collect all routes (as my own compulsive brain orders me to ;)), I guess this would be the cheapest option:
    1.) Pick up TSW now while it's on sale. You get NEC, RT and GWE.
    2a.) Use the 25% off voucher to buy TSW2020 Deluxe. You will technically pay twice for GWE, but still pick up LIRR, MSB, NTP and the new US route.
    2b.) DTG said that anybody owning TSW will get the TSW2020 routes at a discounted price. Depending on the exact price, which we do not know yet, it might be cheaper to bundle LIRR, MSB, NTP (all three discounted already) and the new US route into one purchase and use the 25% on that one.
    Whether 2a or 2b is cheaper will be revealed once we know the exact prices, so I guess in three days :)

Either way you go, happy hauling! :D

• Like Like x 3
  8. Mr Fad

Mr Fad Member

I was toying with the idea of also grabbing the game on ps4 while it was in the summer sale and did noticed the sale price for tsw changes at midnight on the day 2020 is released unlike most other games in the sale. So you'll have to make your mind up before release day!

9. DogGhost

DogGhost New Member

Thanks for both answers. I'll stay sharp. I'm not sure whether I'll be collecting all routes. I want to try it first because I haven't played TS since Railworks. :)