PC Great Western Express Skeleton Timetable

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by iosman1234, Aug 10, 2019.

1. iosman1234

iosman1234 New Member

Hello,

Looking at the current timetable online it looks and feels like a ghost railway with only four arrival/departures per hour from Reading at times. Really?

Even with a Sunday timetable there should be more services than this.

Now I know we don’t currently have the Class 165, 378 or 800 and I was thinking these paths were intentionally kept free so paths could be easily added in the future.

Though it really is unacceptable for a busy mainline like this to get so few amounts of trains. I’ve read Rapid Transit lacks other trains and services too.

thanks
    iosman

• Like Like x 2
  2. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

I raised this question a few weeks ago, that there was a distinctive lack of HST services to/from Paddington. There are large gaps between Mainline departures, and it’s not like they haven’t got the stock for it. They just haven’t included it for whatever reason.

In fact I don’t think any route offers a realistic amount of services, mainly due to a lack of available rolling stock, but this is not an excuse for GWE as all it needs is more HST services.

• Like Like x 2
  3. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

The main reason is processor load
    From my knowledge of these things maps are loaded in a tile system, only needing to load what’s directly in front of you and offloading what’s directly behind as soon as it’s out of range

Assets don’t work like that, so all locos, consists and other stock are loaded at the beginning and only offload if they are told to do so at a portal. So if you had thirty trains an hour at reading then they would all be loaded the whole time and that’s the limitation

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  4. Sintbert

Sintbert Well-Known Member

They only include the trains that run on the one or two lines that they include. All other trains that would run along those lines are simply left out. Check LIRR.. there are two routes and their services.. and they sell that as the busiest station in new york?

5. Sintbert

That's incorrect.. the train only loads in to the game once you are a few hundred meters away from it. That was really noticeable in the beta, when the game lagged for a second every time it loaded a train.

• Helpful Helpful x 3
  6. londonmidland

That still doesn’t explain the fact why DTG didn’t include more HST services, as they don’t branch off anywhere between Paddington and Reading. They intentionally scaled down the services for an unknown reason.

7. xD 2Bad4You

xD 2Bad4You Well-Known Member

Probably they scaled them down due to performance issues? It was the 2nd route and they said themselves that they have done things more inefficient on HH compared to newer DLC. Couldnt it also be that this was the case for GWE in some areas and they then came to the conclusion that the current amount of traffic was the best they could do back then? Of course its all speculation

8. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

Maybe development costs? testing with more trains if you have a working timetable may be a huge amount of work. Would like to have some explanation from DTG on how they test service mode....

9. Sintbert

It also was the first time they made such a complex timetable.. All they had bevor this was CSX:HH which has a very simple servicemode.

10. NorthRail1

NorthRail1 Well-Known Member

There do seem to be difficulties with creating large and complex service modes in Train Sim World. The Great Western Express, Rapid Transit and Long Island Rail Road are all rather sparse in comparison to reality.

Great Western Express was also the first route with a more complex timetable and there are obvious problems with the dispatcher on the route with trains constantly being diverted onto the wrong track but I do think that all of the 166 services from real life are there. The main problem with the GWE timetable is the lack of locomotives to fill in the service mode timetable.

11. londonmidland

When they were making GWE their dispatcher system didn’t let them see which way trains were being routed, so effectively they were going in blind with this. However now it has been updated so they can visually see which way the trains are routed. There should be no excuse for a skeleton service mode providing they have all the available stock. They should be making the most of all available stock.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  12. Ian1991

Ian1991 Well-Known Member

GWE is the most frustrating DLC. Highest quality when it comes to detail of stations, scenery etc but when theres one train in paddington for over half an hour and around 20people waiting for a train that never comes, its just so annoying. I cant drive the HST's often as the outside noise comes into the cab whenever I switch trains, then i also dont want to drive the class 166 as 60% of the stops have zero passengers get on or off? such HUGE potential and just let down by bodge work.