Train Sim World 2020 Out Now!

Discussion in 'Dovetail Live Article Discussion' started by TrainSim-James, Aug 15, 2019.

1. thearkerportian

thearkerportian Well-Known Member

Not true, most of the older routes got updated with journeys. Namely MSB, NTP, LIRR, GWE and CHH.

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  2. raildan

raildan Well-Known Member

Also, Matt mentioned on the devstream that the remaining routes (excluded at the moment because they aren't part of the new base game) might get Journey mode later because Journeys are actually pretty easy to set up.

3. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

Journey mode is nothing more than a re-named service mode. It’s as simple as that, there is nothing new about it at all.

This is what marketing does, it hypes up things deliberately to get its audience excited and onboard. Though they could say one thing and deliver something completely different. This isn’t exclusive to DTG, all businesses do it.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Railfan722

Railfan722 Well-Known Member

Journey mode is essentially a combination of all of the previously existing modes. It consists of a tutorial, a few scenarios, and a few services thrown together, so when you finish one it moves onto the next. While it's obviously aimed at the new player, I think it's a nice feature for when you want to just hop in and drive without having to worry about which service you want to play. The "Timetable" mode is renamed from "Services", again probably to help newer players.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Mikey_9835

Mikey_9835 Well-Known Member

I'm very suprised TVL didn't get a journey mode considering it's a recent release.

• Like Like x 1
  6. DB628

DB628 Well-Known Member

Why is on Main Spessart Bahn still no arrival and left Time for stations? It’s boring to drive passenger trains without time Limits

• Like Like x 1
  7. thearkerportian

As far as I'm aware, they did that for the BR143, which couldn't keep up with the timetable if you replace a 146 with it. I'm not a fan of that decision either...

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  8. Jez

Jez Well-Known Member

Not something I've ever worried about I must say. To me, it's a superfluous item and I'd much prefer to have had other things sorted in the game. It seems much of what's in TSW2020 is just renamed. "Service" is now "Timetable", "Collectibles" is now "Jobs". Remember all the speculation and excitement about what "Jobs" entails? Being the guard, fixing trains etc? No, it's just the same old content.

• Like Like x 2
  9. thearkerportian

The funny part is, while renaming Service to Timetable does in fact make it clearer what it is, renaming Collectibles to Jobs achieves just the opposite. Driving trains is a job too isn't it?

• Like Like x 4
  10. Jez

Jez Well-Known Member

I quite like the idea of the performance graph at the end of the service but it's missing the most vital plot: A plot which shows the "ideal" journey to give you an idea if you are braking too early/late or accelerating too hard/not enough. Without it, the graph is pretty useless and doesn't tell me anything I don't know.

11. thearkerportian

Yes, the new debriefing screen is about the best thing that was added.

Perfect journey however, what do you mean by that? There's not really a thing like that. Everyone has their own driving style. It's a trade-off between being on time and driving so it's comfortable for the passengers, economic in terms of fuel consumption, etc etc. The real railway does not have "you must apply the brakes precisely now"-points as well, at least not in that manner. Germany's PZB works a BIT like that, but you still need to figure out how much (how much more than the minimum PZB requires, that it) you must apply the brakes yourself. Whether you have to engage the sander. It all varies of course with train length, empty vs. loaded cars, gradient, weather... driving a train isn't that easy after all. Note how virtually all driverless subways are indeed subways - underground, where there's never water or fallen leaves and stuff on the rails. Computers are bad at taking that into account.

After all, braking remains THE one thing that takes the longest to master as a train driver. I'm glad TSW doesn't dumb it down. Well, it does actually, but not too much at least.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Jez

Jez Well-Known Member

The real railway does have guidelines and standards though. So how do you know you've "mastered" it if there's no bechmark to measure against? I guess in TSW it would be a plot of the service done by AI.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  13. d_stevanov

d_stevanov Active Member

I'm very disappointed in this update. Instead of fixing what is broken and adding things that were requested they add stuff nobody asked for and ignore the requests.
    -Changed selection color in menus and added a few more menus to access the same content we already had, and even that is done poorly. DLC selection screen still only shows 4 routes, so every time you have to scroll to get to csx, for example. MAKE ROUTE SELECTION SCREEN BETTER.
    -Debriefing screen feels much less useful than that in TS, which actually told you exactly what you did wrong and how much points you're missing to get gold. This still feels like just collecting some meaningless points.
    -Graphics looks even darker now. It was already impossible to play night missions, now even during the day I sometimes can't see inside the cab and need to use cab light. Something feels very wrong about ambient light implementation. FIX THE LIGHTING OR AT LEAST IMPLEMENT BRIGHTNESS/GAMMA OPTION.

• Like Like x 2
  14. DB628

DB628 Well-Known Member

66C2B130-8EC6-4314-84F3-938F42F25F78.jpeg 3194ED6C-DB16-455E-8A3F-44D939ED8D51.jpeg

The funny thing is, that the 143 are not driving on Passenger trains on Main Spessart Bahn because of the Limited Speed with 120 km/h only, they had the BR 111 or the BR 112, the 112 is a updated BR 143 with more power and the lights are others. I’ve report this issues with wrong Locos to Dovetail from Main Spessart Bahn or that the Train to Heigenbrücken is driving by a Electro Train BR 425/426 and not by the 146 with Doppelstockwagen on the Time where the Route is Build. The 146 with Doppelstockwagen was not the only passenger train on MSB.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Jez

Jez Well-Known Member

From what I can gather, DTG sent out questionnaires and invited users to attend their HQ for market research. TSW2020 is the result. Did anyone here get the questionnaire or attend?

16. KiwiLE

KiwiLE Well-Known Member

Yes

17. Jez

Jez Well-Known Member

Oh, so you are the culprit! ;)
    Do the changes in TSW2020 match with your expectation?

18. mufcfanste

mufcfanste Member

Nope i got no questionnaire but saying that i never get replys off dovetail on the forum only by other members

• Like Like x 2
  19. KiwiLE

KiwiLE Well-Known Member

Lol yes. It must've been Augustish last year when the voluntary questionnaire appeared.
    To answer your question, I would say no. The biggest thing holding the game back at the moment is the lack of an editor.

At the time, this was the biggest ask, and probably still is. I give DTG cudos in that regard, however, as the editor has to be "perfect" from the get-go, with full, comprehensive instructions. It would be stupid to release it if it's not ready for the baying masses.
    I have said this before and will repeat...How easy do people think it is to create a railway in TSW? It will be hard, harder than most simmers could be bothered with I feel. Yeah, Euston to Carlisle would be great... 5 year project right there etc....UE4 engine is a beast to learn and do well.

I applaud DTG and their efforts with TSW, and their obvious consideration to a well rounded and documented Editor package.

• Like Like x 6
  20. Jez

Jez Well-Known Member

I imagine it's very difficult to create a railway in TSW. That's why most of us pay DTG to do it and I guess they must deem it worthwhile to continue.

I just drove from Reading to Paddington and back using the front (over the shoulder) camera view and I must say it is visually stunning and hugely impressive despite all my moans about bugs etc.

• Like Like x 2
  21. steadfast

steadfast Member

But why should I have to? I've done all the tutorials on TSW when it first launched.
    I don't just want to skip the tutorials, I don't want to see them full stop. I know how to drive a train in TSW.
    Good work DTG, update to the menu every year and I have to run back through all the tutorials wasting my time, each time

22. mufcfanste

mufcfanste Member

Theres new bit with in the tutorials

23. matthewbguilford

matthewbguilford Well-Known Member

I think Journeys mode is for people who want a single player type linear experience. It gives me something to complete so I’m happy with it!

• Like Like x 2
  24. UnlimitedMagic

UnlimitedMagic Well-Known Member

£30.00 is a nice price
    Thanks for this price dovetail

• Like Like x 1
  25. Kojo62

Kojo62 Active Member

Nope, definitely not seeing that, at least not in the US Steam store. Maybe it's showing differently in Europe. I was only missing one route DLC, and the cost was full price to add it, both stand-alone and in the bundle, and none are shown for "free."

Thanks for replying, though.

26. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

That's how it works in the EU too. People seemed to think they were getting something for nothing which isn't true.
    You personally wouldn't gain value from buying the bundle, other people, those who DON'T have those route DLC yet WILL see a benefit in buying the bundle on a cost per route basis

• Like Like x 1
  27. Kojo62

Kojo62 Active Member

People didn't make up that expectation on their own. As I posted earlier, we were going by DTG's own quote before 2020 released:

"For the new routes included in Train Sim World 2020 (Main-Spessart Bahn, Long Island Railroad, Northern-Trans Pennine), you’ll have the option to upgrade to get any of these you don’t already own for a discounted price."

It didn't work out this way, as I was missing one DLC from the base routes, NTP, but there was no discount for it, no matter how I bought it.

But whatever... I really don't complain around here very often, but it's not hard to see where the erosion of goodwill comes from with those that more often do.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2019
  28. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Yep, was badly worded...
    If you need two or more of the stated routes then you will get a benefit. If you are missing only one then you won't

29. Kojo62

Kojo62 Active Member

I understand ... now, that is. (lol)

Thanks, though. :)

30. Deputy276

Deputy276 New Member

Really liking the new update. Visually very appealing. Also a lot easier to move around in.