A Possible Solution For Freeroaming Mode?

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by thearkerportian, Aug 16, 2019.

1. thearkerportian

thearkerportian Well-Known Member

Moin,

this idea just came to while I walked all the way from Saltburn to Redcar Central hunting for Collectibles: People are frequently asking for a freeroam mode, which obviously isn't all that compatible with the way TSW works. Or is it?

Maybe this is one way it might be possible: How about if we have some vehicles (more on that further down) that, by default, do nothing but being parked at their designated location somehwere along the route, e.g. are not used for any services whatsoever. At least not before players could get in, start them up (thereby finally being able to apply the cold and dark startup procedure taught to them in all the tutorials), and then use the 2D map to plan/plot a path they want to drive. Once they're done, they would request clearance from the signaller, who, given the path is clear, sets signals and switches and treats it like any service that comes with the route. From a technical standpoint, that's all what these runs would be: Custom services.

Now, vehicles. Technically this wouldn't require any new vehicles whatsoever, you could do this in anything that has an engine. Some would be more appropriate than others - while some railway mechanic MIGHT take a class 08 or GP38 to get around the network under some freak circumstance, they certainly wouldn't use an entire HST or a BR146, even less so with a full arrangement of DoSto coaches.

But what if we were to get dedicated vehicles for such tasks? Some MOW equipment would seem just perfect for this task. Things like departmental DMUs for the British routes:
    [​IMG]

For America, there would be things like this for example:
    [​IMG]
    Or why not even this?
    [​IMG]

And Germany finally has among others, stuff like these to move about personnell and their equipment:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

There are certainly a lot more options what to use.

One thing to consider might be, what if the player wants to do "disrupting" runs, eg. leave their vehicle blocking the line for other trains. Well the first option would of cause be to just let them do it - they can just as well leave behind regular trains blocking the way if they choose so anyway. Maybe as a limitation, only allow end points for custom routes where the vehicle will not block anything, e.g. sidings that no service ever uses. With the top speeds most of these vehicles have, some disruptions would probably unavoidable anyway, I guess the price of freedom we'd have to pay.

Maybe give it a thought, I'm sure people would enjoy it.
    Greetings, Mike.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2019
    • Like Like x 5
  2. thearkerportian

thearkerportian Well-Known Member

Addendum: Of course, should we do get such vehicles, they'd offer opportunities for route maintenence scenarios/services as well.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
  3. Patrick Kolinski

Patrick Kolinski Active Member

Nice! Good idea!

• Like Like x 1
  4. jedi247

jedi247 Well-Known Member

I like the idea of the inspection vehicles or trucks. I've seen a couple of modified pickups with rail wheels where I live. Good idea; it totally makes more sense than walking the whole route.

• Like Like x 1