PC Poor Performance At San Francisco Station

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Typhomat, Aug 16, 2019.

1. Typhomat

Typhomat Well-Known Member

I've seen this reported in a few places, but it seems there is an large performance drop when there are a lot of trains parked at San Francisco staiton, and you are there. I get 48 locked everywhere on the route and haven't seen my FPS dip at all, except there when I get about 15FPS. Not sure if much can be done because of service mode services, but this is a very large performance drop even on very good computers.

Anyone have any recommendations for dealing with this? I get very good performance with my current settings everywhere else except there.

Specs in case anyone asks:
    Win 10
    i7-7820HK @ 4.1GHz
    GTX 1070
    16GB of RAM
    860 Evo SSD

2. Yerolo

Yerolo Well-Known Member

Yes, I get very poor performance at SF station as well...I think it is largely due to the amount of locos/consists on screen as you will always get a frame drop when passing a train as well.

SF station usually has about 3-4+ trains parked at any one time

3. hightower

hightower Guest

I suspect there is something dragging FPS down on the passenger consists as each one causes a frame rate drop. It becomes particularly bad at San Fran as there are so many of them in one place.

Hopefully the fix will address the actual issue, rather than simply reduce the number of standing consists.

4. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

Matt has said they are aware of the frame rate drops at San Fran station and they are looking into how they can fix it.

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  5. nne4229

nne4229 Well-Known Member

I really hope they don’t take away trains it really ruins immersion. Nec needs freight back in sidings.

• Like Like x 4
  6. CoyoteMan

CoyoteMan Active Member

I agree. If the solution is removing trains then I’m pretty much gonna explode.

• Like Like x 1
  7. DB628

DB628 Well-Known Member

TrainSim-Matt please don’t remove any Trains at San Francisco Station, it’s the wrong way to fixed bad frame rates.

On Console there is no problem with it.

8. Big Papi34

Big Papi34 Well-Known Member

Wait there used to be freight on sidings?

9. Amtrak131

Amtrak131 Active Member

Nec still has freight on the route. Took a train from mew rochelle to newark at night. There are cars in the bronx siding near the highway along with some engines

• Like Like x 1
  10. NAYDOG

NAYDOG Guest

I think he meant Sunnyside yard which used to be full on Amfleets - till that patch over a year ago that destroyed large parts of NEC

F for:
    Sunnyside Yard
    the swamp/marsh
    Signalling
    Tunnel speed limits

11. nne4229

There were trains in more sidings along nec on release.

12. nne4229

I love seeing freight as a passenger.

13. Schnauzahpowahz

Schnauzahpowahz Well-Known Member

Hope its not down to removing rolling stock. I've also been at san fran when there were atleast 8 or 9 servicing trains, it was possibly the worst frames I've ever had in TSW.

when im all alone on a line with the odd train or 2 passing for an hour... it sucks :(

Hope there are other ways, please remove people and cars etc at will if its an option for the future - just not the trains

14. hyperlord

hyperlord Well-Known Member

Just speculation, but maybe it's because the interior for everything is rendered, and the people sitting in their seats. When it kills the framerate for almost everyone (console, too?) maybe a "interior distant render"-slider could be a fitting approach.

15. ildario77

ildario77 Well-Known Member

I'm on PS4 and frame rate at San Francisco with more than 4 parked trains is very bad when you go through trains, approaching the station or walking on the platform. On console they already removed a lot of people in general, according to PC videos I saw on YouTube.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  16. hyperlord

hyperlord Well-Known Member

The moment the FPS went down (like the last 200 meters) I turned off the cab light and the performance went on much better imediately, so maybe shadow-related?

17. Big Papi34

Big Papi34 Well-Known Member

I've never run with the cab light on and don't get drop in frames. Partially why I was confused about people talking about frame drops.