Ntp: Braking Oil Trains

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by thearkerportian, Aug 18, 2019.

1. thearkerportian

thearkerportian Well-Known Member

Moin,

I've run out of things to try to get acceptable braking performance when pulling oil trains over the Pennines. Vacuum brakes, Air brakes, nothing seems to work properly, the trains will barely at all slow down. Getting them to move in the first place isn't that easy as well regardless of loco type.

20190818102756_1.jpg
    Brakes had been at about 85% for at least a minte at that point. Any idea what I might be doing wrong?

2. TheNoGamer44

TheNoGamer44 Well-Known Member

Try braking a bit earlier and not so hard. It takes some time until the brakes apply on all of the wagons.
    Best advice: practice :)

• Like Like x 1
  3. InspectorTiger

InspectorTiger Well-Known Member

From the brake indicator on your HUD it doesn't look like the brakes are at 85%. The mass of the heavy oil trains is enormous, so it does take a lot more braking than we're used to. Running down the mountain is a little bit scary; you put the brakes on a little, nothing happens, you put them on a bit more, more nothing happens, the train actually starts to pick up speed under braking, more brakes, more brakes, ALL THE BRAKES, change of trousers, after about five miles the speed starts to wind off a little. Essentially, the optimum time to start braking is about half an hour before you set off.

• Like Like x 4
  4. -PjM-

-PjM- Well-Known Member

I think you are from your HUD but make sure you're using the train brakes not just the loco brakes. And it's air brakes that should be selected on the tankers. Air freight actually. Set them before you do anything else, don't switch them when in motion otherwise it causes problems.

Also it's best not to go too fast with the freight. Don't travel at the line speed, only travel at the max speed rating of the consist, which is usually 60 mph (96 kph). It's best to travel slightly slower still, it'll give you more chance of stopping then.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  5. Vinnie

Vinnie Well-Known Member

When moving the brakes switch in the back wall, make sure to select air goods brakes for oil tanker services and vacuum goods for the other freight wagon, also when scrolling through the switch if you accidentally pass over vacuum while going to air goods, use the lever in the second mans side, it's right next to the handbrake and it will release the vacuum brakes. Keep in mind these trains are pretty old and the brakes are not effective since you have to calculate much bigger distances for a stop.

6. Dave Mel

Dave Mel Well-Known Member

i suggest you use vacuum brakes for all freight wagons including oil tankers. air brakes for passenger services. use the train brake when braking when hauling on the mainline. i use the loco brake when running around light engine and shunting in yards without any consists until i pick up a consist then i will use the train brake.

looking at your picture your on kilometers on the hud. i would change to MPH which is what we use in England. this could also be confusing the braking but im not sure. i would change it though to mph

Last edited: Aug 20, 2019
  7. thearkerportian

thearkerportian Well-Known Member

Yeah just choose any brake you like, what could possibly go wrong...

The HUD has nothing to do with brake performance however. I got tired of switching it back and forth between metric and imperial every time i change from UK/US to Germany or vice versa...

Also I've been playing train simulators (including professional ones used for real engineer training) for nearly 20 years now, I know the difference between train and locomotive brakes.

8. Dave Mel

Dave Mel Well-Known Member

i was on NTP yesterday and i did the healey mills to Manchester Victoria with a loaded oil train and had no problems with braking

9. Jez

Jez Well-Known Member

It takes practise. Brake early, but beware it's easy to over brake and come to a standstill. Have done this a few times when getting down to 15 mph in Huddersfield and Stalybridge tunnels. They don't release quickly either. TEAs have a single pipe air system so they are less responsive. Limit for TEAs is 60 mph loaded or empty but PjM's advice to run a bit slower is very wise especially when long and loaded.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Dougal

Dougal Member

The rolling stock switch selection in the cab must be undertaken prior to coupling and is then set, no matter what you do in to the cab switch after coupling.

11. Dougal

Dougal Member

Train breaking over the length of rolling stock takes time to take effect and the inverse on release, therefore you need to be ahead of the train at all times with all rolling stock.

12. Vinnie

Vinnie Well-Known Member

Yes, you are correct, IRL you must set the switches first and then couple. But in game I don't think it's simulated like this, since you always start with air passenger no matter the service and have to set brakes accordingly. There's no instructions whatsoever asking you to decouple unfortunately.

13. Dougal

Dougal Member

I set the brake switch in the loco after decoupling to light goods?