PlayStation Is Tsw2020 Selling Well On Consoles?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Thunderer, Aug 21, 2019.

1. Thunderer

Thunderer Well-Known Member

Just wondering.

The reason being the subject came up in the pub last week with my friends (we're in our 30s-50s) and console players, the opinion seemed to be when one of us mentioned the game was 'that sounds cool, makes a change from fps's and fifa' at least three of us have bought it on ps4 since then.

Is it attracting interest from console players that wouldn't normally play sims because of the nostalgia of train travel from our youth?

The Trans-Pennine thing is definitely of interest here, we're in St Helens and as well as the Liverpool-Manchester line, Rainhill Trials etc there was Vulcan works and many historical stations and railway infrastructure still around.

Workhouse bridge for example is at the top of my street.

https://www.suttonbeauty.org.uk/beauty/suttonbridges/

There are many listed railway bridges within a mile of my house, including Intersection bridge which was the first railway bridge in the world to span another railway.

Thanks Dovetail for re-igniting our interest!

2. Jez

Jez Well-Known Member

I actually bought an Xbox One X just to play TSW and NTP in particular. Not had a console for ages (previously Sega Master System, then PS1, then original Xbox, then Xbox 360) and am not a PC gamer. Stumbled across TSW on YouTube after watching some cab ride videos and thought what the hell. Ex spotter and then photographer in the 80s so yes nostalgia is a big part. Very familiar with Paddington to Reading in that era. Even got a cab ride from Paddington to Reading in 50024 back in the day.

• Like Like x 3
  3. P308R

P308R New Member

Well I've bought it pure out of interest on PS4. Mostly I play racing games and rpg's and I know nothing About trains and they never interested me. However the announcement for 2020 came by and it made me step out of my comfortzone. I am actually enjoying this a lot!

• Like Like x 2
  4. Thunderer

There's something about this game that is hypnotic, the wife is quite happy to watch me play it rather than telling me turn the bloody ps4 off.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Thunderer

Jealous! We had to go down (I think) to Banbury to ride 50s to or from Oxford. Thunderer was my first. Awesome machines.

6. Jez

Jez Well-Known Member

Indeed. I grew up about a mile from Wimbledon and could hear 50s clearly from my house especially at night. Racked up plenty of miles behind them. Thunderer was a favourite. Anyway, back on topic!

Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
  7. InspectorTiger

InspectorTiger Well-Known Member

It's certainly the best-selling console train simulator.

As to what percentage of TSW sales are console rather than PC, we don't know, but my informed guess would be 'significant'. I'd be a little surprised if the balance was a long way from 50-50. Console is actually a bigger market than PC, so even a very small slice of a big cake is... a lot of cake.

• Like Like x 1
  8. -PjM-

-PjM- Well-Known Member

There was a ongoing poll in THIS THREAD. The results are so far fairly even with the PC slightly edging it. That of coarse is limited to this sites members (who have voted) but I suppose might extrapolate outwards to the overall picture.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Fitz

Fitz Well-Known Member

My fiancée got into this from watching me play on PS4. She has even set up her own profile and plays WSR and NTP, she loves getting all the collectibles and helps me when I'm playing too by keeping an eye out. She really wants steam locos in this haha, if only she knew how hard they'd be to drive.

• Like Like x 1
  10. UnlimitedMagic

UnlimitedMagic Well-Known Member

I live on the GWRML and I gotta say dovetail did great
    But the southall sign doesn’t have a southall in Punjab (I think it’s Punjab correct me if I’m wrong).

11. UnlimitedMagic

UnlimitedMagic Well-Known Member

I live half a kilometre from Hayes and harlington and I could still here HST’s passing. It was pretty loud.

12. Bamz2317

Bamz2317 Member

I've always loved trains since i was s kid. My favorite route is ntp i just love br diesels and the uk country side even though I've never been to the uk(im Australian) unfortunately my wife doesn't like tsw haha.

13. Thunderer

Each to their own, but what doesn't she like about it?

14. Bamz2317

Bamz2317 Member

She doesn't like trains in general