Request Stops

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by kingus.uk, Jul 18, 2019.

1. kingus.uk

kingus.uk Active Member

I've not researched this properly yet, but I'm posting this as a starting point for discussion, and I'll probably revisit it later...

I'd quite like a route with Request stops. For those not familiar with this these, they are stations where the train doesn't stop by default. If you're on the train, you tell the guard you want the train to stop; if you're on the platform, you stick your arm out like hailing a cab/bus. I like the idea of having to watch out for a person, or listening for a buzzer from the guard, would add a bit of uncertainty to the route.

I think the North Warwickshire (or Shakespeare) line has 4 request stops: Danzey, The Lakes, Wooten Wawen and Wood End, so that would be a good choice. However, there are about 150 such stations in the UK, so there are plenty of other lines that would suffice.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
  2. byeo

byeo Well-Known Member

Someone watched the latest vlog from Geoff Marshall

• Like Like x 3
  3. kingus.uk

kingus.uk Active Member

It was the start of it. I didn't know there were so many on "normal" lines. I know a lot of the heritage lines have them, but not a suburban service in Brum.

4. Trains4Days

Trains4Days New Member

The Cumbrian Coast has a few request stops; Nethertown, Braystones & Parton to name a few

5. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

http://geofftech.co.uk/download/RequestStops.pdf
    Geoff's list of request stops...138 in total across the UK including many on the North Wales Line (not implemented in TSx, maybe in TSW?), but most likely routes in TSW would be the Breckland and Wherry Lines were there are 5 total

6. fabdiva

fabdiva Well-Known Member

They are common in Switzerland too, some trains even have stop request buttons. Thomson have implemented it on some of their Swiss routes.

7. steloveschips

steloveschips New Member

Quite a few on the Barnstaple-exmouth tarka line too. I always wondered how the driver manages to stop in time

8. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

I imagine the speed limits for services that might stop at those stations are reduced and drivers should expect to stop

9. lDanny Holand

lDanny Holand Active Member

I think it's a brilliant idea and the heart of Wales line could introduce sprinters and pacers