PC Haze Adjustment?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Sunscreen, Aug 26, 2019.

1. Sunscreen

Sunscreen Guest

Hey all,

Im starting to get that TSW itch again after all.

I was having a little go on TS2019 earlier and I realised one of the things I quite liked was the haze you get- makes it a bit more realistic looking as the details fade out in the distance.

Does anyone know of any engine.ini adjustments (or anything else) esides just selecting a foggy day in the presets? The foggy day doesnt quite have that effect Im after..

Any other little 'enhancements' that anyone has would all be advice gratefully recieved :)

Best to all.

2. hightower

hightower Guest

I think you’re describing the depth of field in TS2019, something that is very sadly missing in TSW.

Hopefully we’ll see it making an appearance sometime soon.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  3. Sunscreen

Sunscreen Guest

Thanks Hightower. I wasnt sure of the effect so thats good to know. Certainly hope it makes it in as its an effect that creates a certain atmosphere.

4. hightower

hightower Guest

Agreed. Can’t come soon enough, as at times the distant horizon in TSW looks ridiculous, where everything looks the same as it does close up.

I might well be wrong but right now I believe it’s a limitation with the engine that’s the issue.

5. -PjM-

-PjM- Well-Known Member

I find tweaking the default weather settings can produce some nice haze effects. Selecting winter clear, reducing the snow to zero and adding a little cloud is about the most subtle.
    Give it a try and see what you think. If you want just a little more haze try winter cloudy - similarly reducing the snow etc.

Reducing the clouds to zero (or near) on most of the cloudy default settings as varying haze effects depending on the different seasons.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2019
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Sunscreen

Sunscreen Guest

Thanks PjM, I'll give that a go :)

• Like Like x 1
  7. hyperlord

hyperlord Well-Known Member

Nice, thanks! Kudos -PjM-

• Like Like x 1
  8. Sunscreen

Sunscreen Guest

That's not a bad little work around :) I settled on Autumn mist in the end.. Its subtle but then that's what Im after. I also mucked around with the engine.ini settings because the track popping in and rail detail further away was poor. Link to the relevant thread below, and a copy of my engine.ini settings too. They may not be strictly correct but they work on my i5 machine at medium/max settings at a steady 30fps. Good enough for me.
    Thanks again PjM.
    https://forums.dovetailgames.com/threads/a-guide-to-engine-ini-settings.4672/

[/script/engine.renderersettings]
    r.ViewDistanceScale=10
    r.MaterialQualityLevel=0
    r.Shadow.DistanceScale=4
    r.AllowLandscapeShadows=1
    foliage.LODDistanceScale=5
    r.Color.Mid=0.4
    r.MipMapLodBias=-1
    r.MotionBlurQuality=0
    r.SkeletalMeshLODBias=-3

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 27, 2019
  9. -PjM-

-PjM- Well-Known Member

Now if only I wasn't on a PS4... :|

I'm unfortunately stuck with what I've got, but it did at least get me exploring the games settings.

Summer rain is quite good - but without the rain! ;)

Last edited: Aug 27, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Sunscreen

Sunscreen Guest

Sorry to bring this thread up again but thought it worth sharing a solution I found for the haze effect.

Reehade is a free bit of software that Ive been using on Silent Hunter 5 and I tried it on TSW. The effects are customizeable and it has a haze effect. That plus a few others has created exactly that hazy feel I was looking for in the middle to far distance.

Anyone needs more detail Id be happy to help but its easy to use and google brings it up.

Nighty night all. Sleep well :)

• Helpful Helpful x 2
    • Like Like x 1