PC Pc Is Slow

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by disireecommanderlwq, Aug 28, 2019.

1. disireecommanderlwq

disireecommanderlwq New Member

My computer is slowing down. Is it the result of too many games installed or working too long?

2. TrainSim-Daniel

TrainSim-Daniel Active Member

3. Kim1087

Kim1087 Well-Known Member

my computer plays up in this hot weather,

4. hyperlord

hyperlord Well-Known Member

Post some hardware specs please, then we can offer the right advise regarding the question :)

5. disireecommanderlwq

It is Dell Inspiron 22 3000 Series (AIO), Intel Pentium 4415U, 8GB 2400MHz DDR4, 1TB 5400 RPM HDD, Intel HD Graphics 610, i3277-P248WHT.

6. The SimTrain Tube

The SimTrain Tube Well-Known Member

I don't think the computer you're using comes anywhere near the minimum required specs needed to play TSW.

• Like Like x 3
  7. TrainSim-Daniel

Sadly without a dedicated GPU and a powerful CPU your going to have a poor experience when trying to run demanding games like TSW. For the spec listed, you'd need to look at older and less demanding games if you want a good experience.

You may also want to look at adding an SSD as a 5400RPM HDD is going to be quite slow in comparision.

8. kalteVollmilch

kalteVollmilch Well-Known Member

I honestly think Daniels answer is still very kindly worded regarding how underpowered your PC is.
    To begin with, your CPU only has 2 cores (with at least 4 threads), and only max. 15 watts of TDP, which means it is not designed to have high performance, but rather to use as few energy as possible. Also, it doesn't even have Turbo Boost, meaning it is always going to stay at its 2.3GHz. Combine this with the fact, that this is a 4th generation CPU, and conclude that you CPU is way too slow for TSW.

Sadly, it does not end there:
    Integrated graphics are basically also way too slow for (nearly) everything, esp. including the majority of UE4 games, one of which is TSW. Integrated graphics are, just like your CPU, designed to use as few energy as possible. They are also included in the CPU, so CPU and integrated graphics have to share the available energy, and their combined TDP needs to stay below 15W, which is not very much (desktop CPUs alone can have nearly up to 100W). They also share the memory, so your 8GB of RAM need to store both the information about the game as well as everything that would normally go in the dedicated VRAM.

Now comes the really sad part: Upgrading.
    Basically it's not possible. I don't know if you can open you AiO, but if you can then exchanging you HDD with a SSD would be a very good idea, even though it probably will not help at all with your game fps. But it will make everyday usage much more pleasant.
    Anything else (adding a GPU, upgrading your CPU) will probably not work: you then won't have sufficient cooling, maybe your power supply cannot keep up, or there simply is not enough space.

So conclusion time: getting TSW to run on this PC: not likely. Upgrading the PC: also unlikely
    So as sad as it sounds, without a different PC you most likely aren't going to have any fun with TSW :(

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  9. Jeannot41

Jeannot41 Well-Known Member

Sad reality, indeed. :(

10. hyperlord

hyperlord Well-Known Member

kalteVollmilch Thank you!

Regarding upgradeabilty: My father-in-law had a similar problem and similar specs like you. Bought a system that was advertised as "gaming ready" but ... wasn't. I had work to do but got the most out of it, he can run DX12 and UE4 games at least okayish. What's important: You system should be in no micro form factor but ATX. And you "should" have a PCIe x4 Slot free, AGP might not reach the disered level for a decent graphic card.

He had to do invest roughly 100 EUR but only because I gave him my old GFX for free
    - new power supply, around 500 W
    Important: Molex connector for modern GFX ... I think 6 pins
    - AMD Radeon or equivalent NVIDIA GTI, go for at least 2GB of video ram
    - SSD replaced HDD

But ... I build PCs for two decades and it's no challenge, maybe you have a friend around how could help you or YouTube could teach you how to replace parts ...

Nonetheless forget anything I said when you system is, like KalteVollmich trustworthy mentioned, an AiO (All-in-one) and isn't "designed" to be upgradeable at all...

I'm sorry

11. disireecommanderlwq

This sounds unsatisfactory:( What should i do?I just want to improve the speed of the computer for now.

12. disireecommanderlwq

Before that, I think it was the computer games that were running for so long,and i even uninstalled some games to free up computer space.

13. JJTimothy

JJTimothy Well-Known Member

Is your system this one or something like it?
    https://www.dell.com/mk/p/inspiron-22-3277-aio/pd

Desktop PCs are pretty modular- you can add components or replace those that break or to upgrade them if they aren't up to scratch including a bigger power supply if things get crazy.

Laptops and other mobile systems are much more closely integrated- they have to be to fit in those cases. If your laptop has a discrete GPU for example it's likely to be a chip or set of chips surface mounted on the motherboard rather than a component that can be unplugged and swapped out (would that were not the case then my laptop might be worth fixing but I digress). You can change the RAM and drive, in some cases even add a second drive but otherwise they're just not meant to be upgraded.

It is in the nature of all-in-one systems that they are much more like laptops- indeed they are often built using components meant for mobile systems so everything can be bundled up and squeezed in to a nice thin case behind the screen. They are just not meant to be upgraded.

With regard to running TSW your system has a slow CPU (can't do anything about that) and could do with more and faster RAM (might be able to do something about that) but the main component it lacks is a GPU and you don't have room for one or any way to connect one up. Without a GPU your system is not even up to scratch for running Train Simulator although that with some of the older less demanding routes might be quite playable.

Sorry.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  14. TrainSim-Daniel

Clearing space won't make your PC faster as a lack of storage isn't your issue.

The "slowness" of your PC is purely down to the hardware it's equipped with which is not really sufficient for running detailed and complex games. You'll find older games and simpler titles run fine on your PC but anything recent and demanding will struggle to run.
    Without replacing your entire PC you won't have an ideal experience running TSW as even set to it's lowest settings your hardware is going to struggle.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  15. thearkerportian

thearkerportian Well-Known Member

Yep, that sounds like it's time for an upgrade. Unfortunate, but then again, well worth it. I always thought TSW (and various other games) had stunning graphics... back when I could run them at medium-ish setting only. Holy cow what an eye-opener (pun intended) that was to get this monster machine I use now.

16. azahelsauljpw

azahelsauljpw New Member

Need to deeply clean up the computer,i deeply clean my computer twice a month (With Safewiper ), and I install three games on my computer. My computer doesn't have the same problem as yours.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2019
  17. hightower

hightower Guest

What should you do? If you’re able, buy a new computer.

Simply put, you will not be able to play TSW on the one you currently have, and it looks highly unlikely that you’d be able to upgrade it to a decent enough standard either.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 3, 2019