Double Heading On Ntp?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by J4mes, Aug 29, 2019.

1. J4mes

J4mes Member

Good Afternoon,

Was wondering if double heading was a possibility on this route, after completing a route the other night, terminating at leeds, I noticed there was a spare class 45 and 47 in the station at different places. Say for instance that you was to climb aboard one of these stray locos and set points and the like, could you pull up to the front of the engine you supposed to drive and have a little more power.

Thanks in advance.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Manclion

Manclion Well-Known Member

No unfortunately you have to do as you are told you can't change engines or set points yourself.

3. J4mes

J4mes Member

That's a pain, I did manage to hijack a Class 47 the other night that was at a standstill on one of the bays. Got it started and managed to drive to end of platform before encountering a Red that wouldn't change, even when I tried to contact the Signaller!!!

4. DominusEdwardius

DominusEdwardius Well-Known Member

Class 45s and Class 47s (as featured on NTP) can not work in multiple with themselves or with other locos, they have no multiple unit capability fitted at all so effectively all you'd be doing is weighing you train down...

Last edited: Aug 29, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Manclion

I'm surprised you got the 47 to move in the first place it's woeful on NTP.

• Like Like x 1
  6. DominusEdwardius

Only on the console version (for some unknown reason), the PC versions is absolutely fine

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  7. Manclion

It seems to me like they got the 40 and 47 power rating mixed up, well they do think that the 40 is fitted with ETH while the 47 isn't!

Last edited: Aug 29, 2019
  8. DominusEdwardius

It's just a tops panel typo, as I say everything is perfectly in order on PC, just for some reason the 47 on console is misbehaving itself.

9. Manclion

That's a shame the 47 was perfectly OK pre freight pack, since then I've experienced constant crashes, scenarios and services you can't complete so it's now unplayable for me.

10. DominusEdwardius

47 has always been like that as far as I can tell, its just easier to notice the performance deficit with the heavy oil trains.

11. Manclion

Even on passenger trains the 45 and 40 outperform it easily, I even have to ease up on the power running up to Marsden with the 45 while the 47 is flat out.

• Like Like x 1
  12. J4mes

J4mes Member

It was light engine and only managed to go about 150 yards before getting to the red signal that wouldn't change!!! But that 150 yards she was flying!!

• Like Like x 1
  13. -PjM-

-PjM- Well-Known Member

The parked locos are just there for decoration J4mes. Which is not a bad thing, just placing locos and rolling stock here and there does visually add a bit of life to the line. There should be more of it not only on NTP but the other routes too.

I'll also just add that on console the 47 also seems underpowered on WSR as well, the class 33 outperforms it. Not sure about on PC.

14. J4mes

J4mes Member

I'll also just add that on console the 47 also seems underpowered on WSR as well, the class 33 outperforms it. Not sure about on PC.[/QUOTE]

I'll be honest, its hard to judge performance comparison on WSR between the 33 and 47 as you only get to 25Mph on the whole route!

15. Bamz2317

Bamz2317 Member

Unfortunately no. Only double headers on ntp are the class 40(br heavy pack) and thats only on oil trains. The locos at the station are there for looks. Tees valley has double headers too, 2 class 37s are needed to haul the heavy steel trains. On tees valley you drive the class 08 around the steel terminal

16. Fitz

Fitz Well-Known Member

In real life there was little to no need to double head 47s and 45s. The 40s had a poor power to weight ratio as a Type 4 and was quickly outclassed by other Type 4s. Top end 1960s steam locos performed just as good as the 40s in service.

17. J4mes

J4mes Member

Have you tried the 47 over NTP single engined?

18. cjhobden

cjhobden New Member

Class 47 never had MU working it wasn't till the 90s the non ETH 47s had it fitted