Raildriver Support?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by mhamilo, Aug 29, 2019.

1. mhamilo

mhamilo New Member

I am a retired railroad brakeman from Ontario, Canada. I recently purchased Train Simulator 2019 and Train Sm World 2020 to orient my grandson to what operating a train entails. I was a longtime user of MSTS but had been out of the hobby for many years. I dug out my Raildriver control unit and with the excellent help of the P.I. Engineering tech people, got it installed nicely. I started with TS 2019 and all works like a charm. Just like a real train! Fantastic. Then I fired up TSW 2020. A good software and it looks very promising, But Raildriver didn't work, just a keyboard for input. Totally unrealistic! I called PI and they told me that the ball has been in Dovetail's court for well over a year. He said it would take only a day or two once he had the required info from Dovetail to make it work. I searched online and see that this has been an issue for some time. Why not make this a win-win for everyone? PI will sell more units of Raidriver, and Dovetail will gain more positive feedback and loyalty from its users. It cant be that hard. I would appreciate a response from anyone who agrees with me, and especially from Dovetail on where they are with this. Thanks.

• Like Like x 4
  2. Jeannot41

Jeannot41 Well-Known Member

And yes, my Raildriver is in a box. Pity.:(

3. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

They need to find time to do so. They have a long list of things to do and there are only so many hours in a day.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Manclion

Manclion Well-Known Member

Your constant defending of DTG is getting really tedious, I'm sure they can defend themselves.

• Like Like x 9
  5. hyperlord

hyperlord Well-Known Member

I fully agree with all you points, mhamilo
    To get things a little bumped, and since you gave a good "connection" with the vendor, could you suggest to them to open up a ticket in tge DT support system, just like a "polite reminder"?
    Maybe it's easy for DTG now since they got the internal documentation up to date (just guessing here) and can now look the requested information up much faster. Don't know ...

• Like Like x 1
  6. StratPlayer62

StratPlayer62 Well-Known Member

Yea it has been something we have been asking for since TSW was in beta. Sadly it seems low on the priority list for DTG.

7. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Given that DTG haven't allowed any third party interaction with their software in the public domain as yet, either they're keeping things in house (something MattP has denied several times) or there are other reasons why it's problematic.
    One thing I would point out is that keyboard controls work technically quite different from a throttle control such as on the raildriver, so there would be work to do to get them to mesh properly together, and there are issues with raildriver in 64bit that have been in existence for about a year that PI haven't fixed (key mapping and macro writing specifically) so maybe both sides could do better?

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  8. SamYeager270

SamYeager270 Well-Known Member

MattP has made it clear that it's not just a matter of supporting raildriver but also supporting other means of external controls such as joysticks.

9. Trenomarcus

Trenomarcus Well-Known Member

Are you making a demand for support of RailDriver? Really?

10. mhamilo

mhamilo New Member

Thanks for the replies and input. It would be great to have support for joysticks, but I haven't been in any engines that use "Flightsim type" joysticks for control. Raildriver is by far the best and most realistic control device for train simulation. PI is ready to support their product. I am reminded of the saying, "Where there is a will, there is a way". Perhaps DTG could chime in on this topic with an explanation and update? It would make train simulation so much more realistic and would be a win for everyone. Just my opinion.

• Like Like x 3
  11. InspectorTiger

InspectorTiger Well-Known Member

You're in luck; the senior producer of TSW is a huge Raildriver fan, and has said on many occasions that he shall not rest, nor shall his keyboard sleep in his hand, until Raildriver support is brought to TSW's... land. I'm paraphrasing, of course.

So it's definitely in the pipeline.

• Like Like x 4
  12. jjthomas

jjthomas New Member

It has been a while, any more news on raildriver for TSW? It disappointing that Amazon show TSW 2020 along with raildriver and there is no way to connect the two. :(

-JJ

13. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

14. fanta1682002

fanta1682002 Well-Known Member

15. hyperlord

hyperlord Well-Known Member

ARuscoe statet it correctly, from the official website's FAQ:

Will there be TrackIR and Raildriver support on PC?
    Not at launch - however, we’re already working on bringing TrackIR and Raildriver PC support to Train Sim World 2 within 1-2 months after launch.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Trooper117

Trooper117 Active Member

I'm glad it's happening at last... more for the trackIR actually, and there is likely to be the ability to use other types of controller systems as well according to the live stream the other day...

• Like Like x 1
  17. ht-57

ht-57 Member

Really, this is quite interesting as I've been using raildriver for the last 6 years with run8 with no issues and my system is 64bit, raildriver is native to that sim so its plug and play with no need for external programing of macros.
    So could it be that TSW is really geared for console users and the developers don't want to bother as it doesn't fit their target market?

18. xpert2036

xpert2036 Guest

Did he just use the forums to complain about raildriver

19. andref.maccarini

andref.maccarini Member

By that quote I reckon we'll get TrackIR and Raildriver support in Train Sim World 3

• Like Like x 1
  20. xpert2036

xpert2036 Guest

Did you read the FAQ

21. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

How big is this pipeline? From earth to the Moon... and back. Twice?

• Like Like x 1
  22. Trooper117

Trooper117 Active Member

LOL! :D

23. Dinosbacsi

Dinosbacsi Well-Known Member

Nah they'll announce TSW3 and then say TrackIR and Raildriver is not coming after all. By TSW4 we can forget about multiplayer, and by TSW5 we can forget about steam trains.

24. ht-57

ht-57 Member

Have Patience, You May find cartons of Steamed Vegetables added to the DLC to give you something more to run around and look for other than hardhats and such.

25. rwaday

rwaday Well-Known Member

They do not need Raildriver support when they are moving in the console direction.