Newbie Questions

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by eiamw, Aug 16, 2019.

1. eiamw

eiamw New Member

I've been using TS-2019 casually on and off for a few months and now want to properly get into the game. I've done some lessons in the Academy and have also used Quick Drive.

In the Academy there are two tabs, one called Academy which works fine for me, and the other tab is Tutorial. Unfortunately there is nothing at all in Tutorial?

Under the Drive menu there are 5 tabs but for me the only ones that are active are Quick Drive and Career. From reading the manual Standard is like Career but you're not under pressure to achieve anything. Before doing Scenarios I'd prefer to use Standard just to build up my skill, but cannot use it. Am I missing something obvious?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Tony

2. Railfan722

Railfan722 Well-Known Member

No, you aren't missing anything. Standard scenarios make up most of what's on the Workshop. You still may have times and such to keep to, but there are no points involved - rather, the game just tells you off for speeding and that's the end of it. Some older addons are packaged with Standard scenarios, and I know the Western Lines of Scotland has 14 scenarios, all of which are Standard. Some locomotives will come with tutorials. These may be for driving the loco, or maybe route learning. West Coast Main Line over Shap has a tutorial for the Class 87's tap changer throttle, and one for learning about neutral sections. Academy lessons are typically more general, and will apply to almost anything you drive, while tutorials are focused on single units.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  3. eiamw

eiamw New Member

Thanks for the reply. So if I understand correctly none the locos or routes that come with TS2019 have Standard scenarios. This is surprising as most learners would probably want to hone their skills in Standard rather than jumping in at the deep end with Scenarios. If I'm buying a DLC then I should look out for ones with Standard scenarios included? Note that the Free Roam and Workshop tabs have nothing in them either - is this the same issue?

4. eiamw

eiamw New Member

I've just been on Just Trains website to have a detailed look at some add-ons and one particular steam loco looks good - Romantic Railroads German BR 01 Class Reboilered. It says that scenarios are included for two specific routes. Would I be right or wrong to say that they could also be used on Quick Drive mode on any routes with the same gauge tracks?

5. Railfan722

Railfan722 Well-Known Member

Yes, you should be able to play the BR 01 on any route you like with Quick Drive. Funnily enough, the game doesn't really have a concept of gauge, so you could drive it down, say, the Corris Railway - the biggest problem would be the curves.

6. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

DTG Routes and packs generally only come with career scenarios, but anyone that makes scenarios for those routes (workshop, third parties etc) will generally be standard.
    You can also turn off career scoring in the menu options

With regards to QD, look at the routes you're buying and they will generally say whether they have QD's or not

So long as the routes are QD enabled... with QD it's the route that has the scenarios, whereas with Career or scenario BOTH are needed (ie route and consist)

7. eiamw

eiamw New Member

Thanks for the clarification. Are the DLCs in general of a better quality than the bundled routes & locomotives? I've been flight simming long before I got into trains and in flight sim add-on aircraft and scenery etc are almost always of a better quality that the included aircraft, so I just wonder does the same apply in TS-2019 or TSW?

8. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

The Locos and stock are the same models if bought alone or with a route - no difference in quality.
    Some add-ons are made in house by DTG and some are made by other developers, like Just Trains (part of Just Flight), Skyhook Games, Armstrong Powerhouse and Virtual Railroads for German models.

Peter

9. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

In train sim all of the content is in DLC form, even the "bundled routes" are DLC in themselves.
    With regards to who makes better content, DTG or third parties, a lot of the recent content has been by third parties (notably the Austrian routes and American steam trains), the last DTG route was Southampton Bournemouth which was quite short...